GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These came with the bike, but I am not sure what I have. Here is my inventory.
1 complete headset--tag on one speaker wire says "part# HS-BCD174-UN" on the "upper" cable is a tag that says "PAL". On the lower cable is a tag that says "PB". This headset works on my 06 wing. Is it old, new or what?

I also have a "lower" cable that came with the bike. It has the same round 5 pin connecter to fit the bike, but the other end is kind of 1/2 mooned. It has a label "ZB". I want to buy the upper portion headset and cable to match the cable I have, but dont want to make a mistake. There is a headset for sale on the "for sale " thread w/o lower cable, but I dont want to buy it if it wont fit. Any ideas?? I have looked on J&M web site and cant find any of it.

·
Registered
582 Posts
The headsets are made by J&M. I found more info by Googling the model number.

HS-BCD174-UN Dual Mode Headset for Open Face/Flip-front/Full Face Style Helmets

This helmet headset has been designed to be installed into most open face, flip-front and full-coverage style helmets.

It features the new AeroMike® III miniature boom microphone, two top quality helmet speakers in stereo, our universal clamp-on mounting system and the upper section (only) of our new economical right angle 8-pin, two-piece hook-up cord.

This is the most versatile helmet headset on the market today.

You will appreciate the superior ambient noise canceling and wind blocking ability of the latest version of our AeroMike® III microphone along with the dependability of our top quality helmet speakers.

This headset can be connected to any factory installed motorcycle audio system, now and in the foreseeable future, just by interchanging the lower-section hook-up cord.

HOOK-UP CORDS

You will need to choose a “P” series lower-section hook-up cord from the chart below for proper connection of this headset to your audio system. (you may back up to the previous headset page to purchase the necessary lower cord)

Hook-up cord #HC-PB to be used with:
1980 and later Honda® and J&M 5-pin audio systems

Hook-up cord #HC-PH to be used with:
2006 and later Harley® 7-pin audio systems

Hook-up cord #HC-PM to be used with:
2002 and later J&M 6-pin audio systems

Hook-up cord #HC-PR to be used with:
1998-2005 Harley® 7-pin audio systems

Hook-up cord #HC-PC to be used with:
1983 and later Yamaha®, Kawasaki® and Suzuki® 5-pin audio systems
1989-1997 Harley® 5-pin audio systems
1988-2000 Honda® GL-1500 with J&M passenger controller

Hook-up cord #HC-PTO to be used with:
AUTOCOM EASI-7-Advance 7-pin audio system

Hook-up cord #HC-PEB to be used with:
BAEHR Ultima SGS-09-03 5-pin audio system

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the great info!! I have the lower cord for this part number (headset) Now I need to ask wingaholic(seller on classified) what kind of upper headset he has to see if it will match my lower cord. I dont see the lower cord I have(ZB) on the list, but the guy I bought the bike from says it was what his "SO" used until they broke up and she kept the helmet and upper part of the head set. He told me I could go ask her for it, but I thought better of my life!!!!! hahaha I may have to call J&M.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I think that the ZB will work just fine with your head set. Look at the pin config on both cords the will match up. if there are the same number of pins in the same places, use it. plug it in to bike and listen to the radio. if the sound come through properly (stereo), try the intercom. Should work.
RogerB

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that the ZB will work just fine with your head set. Look at the pin config on both cords the will match up. if there are the same number of pins in the same places, use it. plug it in to bike and listen to the radio. if the sound come through properly (stereo), try the intercom. Should work.
RogerB
The ZB cord will not replace the lower cord on the working set i have. the plug that goes in the bike are the same, but the middle connector plug is different. The ZB plug is kinda half round, while the full set of upper and lowers are rectangel. Confused yet?? I need a headset that will plug into a 1/2 round lower cord--I think

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Found it. I have this cord. says "
Replacement lower cord for J&M's Elite series headsets, 8 pin, with weather boot."

yahooooo. now i need to see waht kind of headset wingaholic has for sale!! Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
757 Posts
Some board members are just real stand up people. Willling to help with anything they can and share some knowledge. RogerB :yes1:

·
Registered
741 Posts
The PB cord fits the UN series, or middle of the road headset. The ZB fits the elite series or best headset. You cannot mix and match.
The only thing that is the same is the large end that plugs to the bike.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Some board members are just real stand up people. Willling to help with anything they can and share some knowledge. RogerB :yes1:
You are soooo right!! Thanks

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The PB cord fits the UN series, or middle of the road headset. The ZB fits the elite series or best headset. You cannot mix and match.
The only thing that is the same is the large end that plugs to the bike.
I have e-mailed the seller and ask him to be specific about what model headset he has. I even sent him a picture of the cord I have to make sure it will work with what he has. I am waiting on a reply. Thanks for your response!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts