GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are on a road trip in Wisconsin and my SO's Arai 3/4 helmet with built-in J&M audio system just stopped transmitting today. She can still hear the intercom and the radio through her speakers, but her mic does not transmit. It was working this morning. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Best suggestion I have right now is to double check all connections.

Unplug each connection and re-seat each one.

The last time this happened to me it was the connection to the helmet that was the issue. After re-seating it... it was good as new.

Hope it's that easy for you.

Bob

·
Registered
630 Posts
And this is not a desirable, if not ideal situation? :joke:

I agree that it’s usually the connection where he cord goes into the helmet. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I agree it is where she plugs in. Look carefully to see if the pins are straight. I've had them bent just a little and not go in the hole. Radio Shack has some very good contact cleaner with a bit of lube added. I would try that next.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
We are on a road trip in Wisconsin and my SO's Arai 3/4 helmet with built-in J&M audio system just stopped transmitting today. She can still hear the intercom and the radio through her speakers, but her mic does not transmit. It was working this morning. Any suggestions?
Normally lower cords go out, if you have the same headset try a cord swap to qualify.
Also try her headset on your front connection and vice versa to test the rear connection

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
I'm surprised you don't have a line of people looking to find your secret. This may be your chance to make millions! :joke:

I had a similar problem, and found that the lower cord was not completely plugged in where it attaches to the cord from the helmet. Initial look seemed to be ok, but when we gave it a 'mighty push' I felt a slight click, and decided it just needed that extra push to get seated correctly. It was not readily apparent, and initial checks determined it was fine. I found it on the 3rd or 4th time checking. Haven't had a problem since. I've also found the pins may get bent, or not go to the right spot, and was able to bend the pin back into place and have been trouble-free since.

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I unhooked and re-connected all cables and it seems to be working now. I will report later tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Woohoo! I love easy fixes! :)

Glad it wasn't anything worse than that.

Bob

·
Registered
805 Posts
I unhooked and re-connected all cables and it seems to be working now. I will report later tomorrow.
Unfortunately, wiring exposed to the elements can corrode and cause problems. I cleaned both sides of each connector with contact cleaner and then used a cotton swab to apply a small amount of silicone grease. The silicone grease helps protect the exposed copper. I haven't had a problem with my headsets since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts