GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed my J&M Digital Music player with bluetooth today. Music plays as advertised but I am having major issues with the blue tooth when paired to my blackberry. The receiving caller has a high pitch squeal on their phone. Has anyone else seen this and what did you do to fix the problem. I have a 2008 Nav.
I have already removed my Mice mutes and J&M passenger volume control.

·
Registered
205 Posts
trax55 ,,,,,

very sorry, we have had virtually NO problems with these new units ,,,,

what brand/model of helmet headset are you using ? ,,,,,,

any problem with your headset when using the intercom or CB ? ,,,

any type of mike-mutes or simlular systems installed on your Wing ? ,,,,,

do you have another phone around to try instead of your BlackBerry ? ,,,,,

I will help you figure this out ,,,,

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Using J&M headset with Nolan helmet.
No problems with intercom or CB and have the buzz with and without the intercom turned on.

I have disconnected the Mike- mutes and still have the buzz

The blackberry worked great with ed sets jumper and the garmin 665.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Hmmm I didn't have that problem...a couple of things come to mind...as you accelerate does it go higher? Have you played with the volume on your BB?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
replacement on the way

Did not have a chance to see if the pitch changes with speed because it is making the noise without the engine even running. I will be installing a replacement unit this weekend.

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Just a comment. I have used J&M headsets, helmets and other products and have been 100% satisfied.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have installed this this unit and no real problems...One thing though is John makes things right!! Let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
trax55 ,,,,,
any type of mike-mutes or simlular systems installed on your Wing ? ,,,,,
John,

Mic-Mutes can not cause any kind of noises. It is a passive device with no amplifier, and also does not extend the audio wiring throughout the blke to pick up any induced noises.

Just say'n !

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Replacement unit going in

Received the replacement unit and will install it this weekend. Hope it does the trick.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Noise still there

Installed the unit today and still have the buzz. Sent John an e-mail and am waiting for assistance. Has anyone else experienced this? Hope I didn't spend $300.00 for a system that works worse than the $80.00 Ed Sets splitter.

·
Registered
205 Posts
trax55 ,,,,

I read your email today, and to be honest I am stumped,,,,

we have over 1,000 of those units out there already and no one has brought a problem like yours to my attention ,,,,

are any of the wires or parts from your old Kennedy system still plugged into the wiring harness on your Wing ?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
And the answer is

The J&M MMDM_IPBT_GL18 is not compatible with a blackberry 9630. I have tried two Blackberry 9630's and both have the squeal. When I used a friends phone it worked well. John has had no known issues besides my phone. Please respond to this post if anyone has had similar issues with this phone or any others. I am waiting to see if J&M will take the unit back. If not I will have a slightly used unit for sale.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Hows it working now? I'm interested in that kit but will pair it with a HTC EVO

·
Registered
672 Posts
I, too, am having issues with the unit I just installed yesterday.

Here are my symptoms, copied from another post I made before I found this thread:

1. Engine hum through the headset, whether the unit is being used or not.

2. White noise through headset, whether the unit is being used or not.

3. A small "pop" sound when I apply the brakes, whether the unit is being used or not.

These all point to a ground problem, in my mind. But the unit doesn't ground to anything. I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
601 Posts
The J&M MMDM_IPBT_GL18 is not compatible with a blackberry 9630. I have tried two Blackberry 9630's and both have the squeal. When I used a friends phone it worked well. John has had no known issues besides my phone. Please respond to this post if anyone has had similar issues with this phone or any others. I am waiting to see if J&M will take the unit back. If not I will have a slightly used unit for sale.
By chance do you know anyone else with a BB 9630 to try and see if there may be a defect in your phone alone?

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
Blackberry phones have always had a touchy Bluetooth stack try another make of phone to qualify the source of the problem.

Also if your having noise issues with one of these type units try moving the cables that link tot he headset cables this can be a source of noise on all MIC splitters, make sure that you are not tied to other cable on the left of the bike as this is the power side.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Also if your having noise issues with one of these type units try moving the cables that link tot he headset cables this can be a source of noise on all MIC splitters, make sure that you are not tied to other cable on the left of the bike as this is the power side.
If this is a response to my post.....I wondered about that. I did, in fact run the wires up the left side of the bike, right past the alternator. It was hard to do it otherwise, as everything runs to the left fairing pocket. But I did think of it. I might unplug everything and see if the hum is still there. That would tell me a little, at least, I think.

Come to think of it, I zip tied the wires to another group of wires running up the left side. So that could be the culprit. I'll mess with it when I get off work.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
If this is a response to my post.....I wondered about that. I did, in fact run the wires up the left side of the bike, right past the alternator. It was hard to do it otherwise, as everything runs to the left fairing pocket. But I did think of it. I might unplug everything and see if the hum is still there. That would tell me a little, at least, I think.
Its very common for MIC splitters to pickup noise on the bike and as you have two of them with this setup that is amplified, separation has always been the best remedy, try unplugging the headset junctions one at a time and remove the splitters see if that is the issue

·
Registered
672 Posts
So I unhooked everything. I uncoupled every single connector the system has and reconnected the headset leads back to how they were originally. Lo and behold, the noise is still there.

I'm madder than ever now. I now have noise where there wasn't any before whether the unit is connected or not. And the worst part is, I can't prove a thing. I essentially just paid over $250 to screw my brand new bike up, and have absolutely no recourse.

Wonderful.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts