GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the opportunity to have a FREE (good price) J&M passenger controller with the volume control and the PTT. We do have a lot of wind noise from her because she only wears a 1/2 helmet. I was going to get the Mic-Mutes because I've heard good things about them; but if I can save $120 or so I'd really like to. Does anyone have experience with this and is it functional? I don't mind trying the J&M and then going to the mic-mutes if it doesn't work; but I'm trying to save the work of installing if others can tell me it just doesn't work. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
9,129 Posts
For what it's designed to do, the J&M Controller works great. Easy to install and the ergonomics of the controller are well designed.

If you're looking for the J&M controller to reduce wind noise on the intercom and during her CB transmission, then you should get the Mic-Mutes instead. The J&M does just what is says it does, nothing else. Now the J&M controller in combination with Mic-Mutes is fantastic! If you decide to just go with Mic-Mutes and their PTT switch for the CB, they only thing you give up is the rear volume control.

My suggestion would be to get the J&M Controller (since it's free) and then order your Mic-Mutes without their PPT switch since the J&M already has a CB PTT! Then you have the best of both worlds!

H

·
0 Posts
I have the JM installed, and it works fine for us. You may want to add Mic Mutes at some point, but I haven't seen the need yet.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I installed both the J&M unit and the Mic-Mutes............the J&M can only turn off the passenger mic so that's only half the solution. I mounted the J&M on the right side as it was in the way for passenger mounting on the left side.

The combination of both is perfect as already mentioned...........

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great, thanks everyone. Sounds like both is the answer. Now--I'm pretty much useless when it comes to mechanical stuff, espcially wiring. Can someone describe how to install both? I've seen the directions for the Mic-Mutes somewhere on here; but what is the difficulty in installing both?

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Great, thanks everyone. Sounds like both is the answer. Now--I'm pretty much useless when it comes to mechanical stuff, espcially wiring. Can someone describe how to install both? I've seen the directions for the Mic-Mutes somewhere on here; but what is the difficulty in installing both?
To install the J&M, you remove the seat, plug the J&M unit into the already existing plugs on the bike and connect the electrical wires to the accessory terminal on the fuse box. VERY easy!

·
Registered
356 Posts
We just added the HUGE rubber covered foam windsocks to the microphones and it made a big difference in wind noise. At this point i am going to hold off on the mic mutes and just use the big ugly foam covers. These were from wingstuff @7.99 ea.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought I might be able to figure out the J&M OR the Mic-Mutes but was concerned about how they BOTH work together.
Anyone have any diagrams or instructions as to how they wire in together?

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Copilot,

It's really simple. The J&M controller plugs in under the seat, in 2 places;
1- 5 pin headset lead connector
2- 2 pin CB PTT connector
You simply place the 2 Mic-Mutes adapters in line with those 2 connectors.

Headset; unlpug the existing connector for the cable that goes to the passenger helmet 5 pin DIN plug - insert both the J&M 5 pin and the Mic-Mutes headset adapter in the string with the headset cable on one end and the bike wiring on the other end of the string. (Just plug the 2 together.)
PTT; plug the Mic-Mutes PTT adapter and J&M 2 together and into the unused 2 pin PTT connector.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Morph. It really does sound easy. I wasn't sure if all of the plugs were compatable, used the same Gl1800 plugs or required some splicing. I might even be able to get this done. I LOVE THIS BOARD. OK, now when is Hal having a spring sale?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts