GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed one on their bike?
I can't find the black 2 prong plug they are referring to. :confused:
If you did, where did you find this plug??

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Just put on in my 08. It was in the cup, sock, protector or whatever you call that big rubber cup under the crossbar (the one that supports a Utopia back rest). It is the one closest to the left side of the bike. It is buried down in the cup by two larger connectors. Had to dig for it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Put one on my 12. Its in the same place as the 08. Just keep digging around in the vinyl plug protectors and you will find it. If I remember correctly there were actually two two prong plugs. Keep looking for the black one.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
PTT: Push To Talk
I.....THINK the connector you are searching for is one with one green wire and one yellow wire.
How much was the J&M button? The buttons we buy at Radio Shack are less than two dollars. You can also buy the male connector to make the connection at Radio Shack.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
PTT: Push To Talk
I.....THINK the connector you are searching for is one with one green wire and one yellow wire.
How much was the J&M button? The buttons we buy at Radio Shack are less than two dollars. You can also buy the male connector to make the connection at Radio Shack.
Its the only black 2 pin connector in the rubber boot on the left rear just near the crossbar

Radio Shack does not sell the correct connector although any momentary button will work.

This is an older picture but you get the idea its C30

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dug all the way to the center stand I think :joke:, couldn't find it. I will dig deeper. thank you guys.

·
Banned
2,963 Posts
The rubber boot is often pushed down behind the relays follow the passenger headset wire

·
Registered
172 Posts
I am still not sure that I understand this passenger PTT button. Our J&M headsets are wired into the intercom and we communicate freely w/o pushing any buttons. What is different?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
This is better than the Hondaline gadget. IMHO
What did you find to be better about it? I bought the J&M, and was a lot more expensive than the Honda one, so suspect it works better/differently. I didn't install it on my 06, but will be installing it on my 2012 unless I can get the same quality out of the Honda PTT.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I am still not sure that I understand this passenger PTT button. Our J&M headsets are wired into the intercom and we communicate freely w/o pushing any buttons. What is different?
Allows passenger to key (PTT) the CB - the J&M switch shown above also allows the passenger to adjust the volume of the intercom and music coming into their headset as well as allow for muting the passenger mic.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:bow:Thank you to all to replied. Pete you pic was very helpfull. I was successfull in wiring the switch this morning.
The plug in question was hiding under the orange fuse holder (??) to the imediate left of the breaker panel.

·
Registered
19,387 Posts
I put one on my bike. As said above passenger can control volume and push a button to talk on CB. I added two black zip ties to hold the unit to the grip because the velcro strap holds the unit only marginally.

Now the bad. It makes a POP sound everytimes my wife turns it on and she has to remember to turn switch off at a stop. It will otherwise stay on and draw current. Ours is mounted on the left passenger seat handle and you have to be aware it is there when putting on the center stand

I selected this unit over the HONDA brand because lots of reviews said the Honda volume controls range was poor. The Honda brand attaches under the right pocket and takes up less space and looks better.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had the honda switch on the '02. I replaced the stock vol. knob with a chrome 1500 radio knob.
I first cut the stop tab out that is in the under side of said knob. Increased vol. range quit a bit. :shrug: Worked for me.
I got the J & M for the mike off switchs to control passenger wind noise.
( I hope ) :eek:4:

·
Registered
132 Posts
I put one on my bike. As said above passenger can control volume and push a button to talk on CB. I added two black zip ties to hold the unit to the grip because the velcro strap holds the unit only marginally.

Now the bad. It makes a POP sound everytimes my wife turns it on and she has to remember to turn switch off at a stop. It will otherwise stay on and draw current. Ours is mounted on the left passenger seat handle and you have to be aware it is there when putting on the center stand

I selected this unit over the HONDA brand because lots of reviews said the Honda volume controls range was poor. The Honda brand attaches under the right pocket and takes up less space and looks better.
Just put a aux switched fuse panel on the bike and connect to that. It will then be off unless the key is on.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for the picture

Just installed the switch set and can't get the CB to work for the wife. After looking at the picture you posted I just figured out that I plugged into the wrong 2-pin connector :eek:4::eek:4::eek:4:.

Does anyone know what the 2-pin connector is the back left corner under the seat next to the saddlebag and touring box is for? Pretty sure it's power for something, but don't know what.

Thanks,
Don

1 - 20 of 24 Posts