GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my headset labeled PA cord 8 pin straight connection from my Mic to the lower cord went bad. This is the 12” long straight cord piece. Contacted J&M and they told me it is discontinued. Anybody have any ideas how I can get a working one.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
my headset labeled PA cord 8 pin straight connection from my Mic to the lower cord went bad. This is the 12” long straight cord piece. Contacted J&M and they told me it is discontinued. Anybody have any ideas how I can get a working one.
Take a picture of both connectors so we can see if there is an aftermarket alternative or if one can be easily made. High resolution pics are needed.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
J&M PA upper cord...

I don't know if the 90° PAL cord would substitute in the OP's requirement.

·
Registered
2008 Dark Red
450 Posts
If he contacted J & M, I would have thought they would have a "Replacement cord" depending on who he talked to. Maybe contact Sierra Electronics. Good luck finding something 🙂

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The picture posted above by KWTHOM is a great picture of the PA cord and connector’s. I’m sure there are a lot of people out there with GL1800’s will be needing this cord besides me.

·
Registered
95 Posts
My riding friend needs an HC-PB, I have scoured the internet for hours and there are NONE available. Apparently the only option is to replace the whole headset with a newer one. I decided to get replacements for my Z series lowers before they are discontinued. They only cost $75 each! $150 just to be sure I don't end up with no options. Fortunately I have extra Z uppers.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
Reactions: revrunt

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Again, see post #3.

I believe the trapezoidal over-mold (where the two cables attach) might not work with a plain cable as you're showing.
Yes, I was looking at that and have the same concerns, but since these connectors are male I feel there is a greater chance of them mating. I suspect all that fancy plastic is there for weather sealing. To be 100% sure I would need to see where it plugs into. Since the OEM cable is no longer available one might find the need to do a little experimenting, it's not going that cost much.

·
Registered
728 Posts
You might have to replace the entire head set with new chords to match the 2007 Goldwing. I never understood why J&M went from 5 chorded to 8 chorded, anyway.

·
Registered
10,064 Posts
<...>I never understood why J&M went from 5 chorded to 8 chorded, anyway.
IIRC, two other major manufacturers of motorcycles went to an 8-pin cord; on one of them, their microphone is a powered element.

In order to keep cords similar, the 8 pin (with three unused lines for Honda) are used for both styles.

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
IIRC, two other major manufacturers of motorcycles went to an 8-pin cord; on one of them, their microphone is a powered element.

In order to keep cords similar, the 8 pin (with three unused lines for Honda) are used for both styles.
My coiled cord uses RJ45 modular connectors, which is 8-pin.

·
Registered
07 Air Bag
4,337 Posts

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts