GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but couldn't find anything. Has anyone used the J&M XM Radio Installation Kit on their GL? Seems a little pricy to me at $299 but it appears it does come with all the necessary hardware and filters and I am willing to pay the price if the value is there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I've had it on mine since they came out and I like the installation location. If you dont need that pocket get it. I thought I would miss the convience of that pocket, havnt missed it one iota. Pricey but, you get what you pay far. I had mine placed all over the bike and had thrown away a lot of money on different mounts etc.. but wasnt satisfied.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i put my roady inside the left fairing pocket. that way it keeps out of the weather.

i saw the $ 300 idea and dismissed it as toooo $$$$.

i listen to one station and dont change the channel. so haveing it in the left pocket doesnt cause a problem for me.

i used a chunk of foam, cut it to fit. ran the wires out the bottom of the foam. that made it easy to remove and change in to my car when the need arrises. an extra antenna and power plug makes the swap a one minute adventure.

loren

·
Registered
19 Posts
J&M XM set up

You can save about 50 bucks by ordering the J&M cradle thru Chrome World. They can sell them for about $250. if that helps. I have one and have had no problems and installation was very simple and quick. :biker:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Jimmy Polley said:
I've had it on mine since they came out and I like the installation location. If you dont need that pocket get it. I thought I would miss the convience of that pocket, havnt missed it one iota. Pricey but, you get what you pay far. I had mine placed all over the bike and had thrown away a lot of money on different mounts etc.. but wasnt satisfied.

Thanks, think I will get one. From the picture it looks like it comes with kind of a weather cover. I think that would be a good idea too.

Rex
2004 CBC ABS

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: J&M XM set up

jbarber said:
You can save about 50 bucks by ordering the J&M cradle thru Chrome World. They can sell them for about $250. if that helps. I have one and have had no problems and installation was very simple and quick. :biker:
Thanks for the tip. Is the cover pretty much waterproof?

Rex
2004 CBC ABS

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Gosh - you mean a Glad sandwich bag isn't sufficient for a good wet weather cover for your XM receivers? Hmmmm clear to see through, fits nice and tight, doesn't let a drop of moisture get in, small and compact, and replacements are available for pennies.

Ah I like my wet weather cover,

DaleC

·
Registered
19 Posts
XM and J&M

It has a rain cover that comes with it. It fits tightly around your Ski Fi unit and snaps on the cradle for safety.

·
Registered
837 Posts
DaleC said:
Gosh - you mean a Glad sandwich bag isn't sufficient for a good wet weather cover for your XM receivers? Hmmmm clear to see through, fits nice and tight, doesn't let a drop of moisture get in, small and compact, and replacements are available for pennies.

Ah I like my wet weather cover,

DaleC
That's what works for me. :D

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Having the radio down on the pocket is not a convenient place to have it...especially if you'll be prone to changing the channels. If leaving it on one channel for a long time is fine, then you'll be OK. It isn't easy to see down there, nor is it easy to reach. The handlebar is in the way.

Here's where I mounted mine. Easy to see and easy to reach.

·
Hungry Member
5,045 Posts
Hey...I like the way that cockpit looks XM on left bar, GPS on right. All you need is a cluster of targeting and launching buttons now. How is your Roady connected to your radio? Did you fashion the mount yourself or by one?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts