GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off this is not meant to bash J&P cycle, I have purchased many things from them and never had a problem, this is just a little post to say maybe it was a "sign" or a "signal" that I didn't need that helmet after all. Last tuesday I was returning home from Jacksonville and decided to take the long way home and stop at J&P cycle in Ormond Beach and check out some helmets. I tried several on and decided to purchase one but as luck would have it they did not have my size in that particular helmet. I then ordered the helmet on line and it arrived this evening and when I opened the box I discovered that my new helmet was obviously a helmet someone else returned and was then sent to me. The helmet was either dropped or something to that effect as it had a large chip and scratch on the top, the face mask portion of the helmet was scratched and dirty and all of the paper work on the helmet was in a baggie that you get out of ones kitchen. I called J&P and they apologized and said they would send me a new helmet as soon as they receive the damaged one back. I'm thinking of just asking for a refund as this has got to be a sign that I don't need that helmet, oh well.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
First off this is not meant to bash J&P cycle, I have purchased many things from them and never had a problem, this is just a little post to say maybe it was a "sign" or a "signal" that I didn't need that helmet after all. Last tuesday I was returning home from Jacksonville and decided to take the long way home and stop at J&P cycle in Ormond Beach and check out some helmets. I tried several on and decided to purchase one but as luck would have it they did not have my size in that particular helmet. I then ordered the helmet on line and it arrived this evening and when I opened the box I discovered that my new helmet was obviously a helmet someone else returned and was then sent to me. The helmet was either dropped or something to that effect as it had a large chip and scratch on the top, the face mask portion of the helmet was scratched and dirty and all of the paper work on the helmet was in a baggie that you get out of ones kitchen. I called J&P and they apologized and said they would send me a new helmet as soon as they receive the damaged one back. I'm thinking of just asking for a refund as this has got to be a sign that I don't need that helmet, oh well.
If you really want the helmet, I would give them one more chance. They probably welcome the opportunity to make it right.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I won't order anything from J&P, I find their knowledge base to be minumal at best, their concern for the customer severely lacking and customer service Horrible!!

I ordered a set of tires from them a few years ago, specifically said, "I want these shipped as a set", "Do not send me one tire"...........

a few days later the rear tire arrives. I called and was told the front tire was not in stock, but was ordered and shipped from another vendor (or branch or something)...... A week later I called again and was told is was on back order....... Another week, the same story. After a month I started calling around to other tire people and was told by all of them that the front tire I ordered (Shinko 230) was no longer being made...... I called J&P and they said that wasn't true, that it would just be another week......

I canceled the order and was pissed when I was told that I would have to pay to ship the rear tire back if I did not want it.

I kept the tire but told J&P that would be my first and last purchase from them, and to this day it has been! I even drove by their store as I was leaving Iowa and I wouldn't stop....... Won't deal with a vendor who isn't honest with me and has no knowledge of what they are selling........

This wasn't farkle or bling that I couldn't put on my bike because I didn't get the product, this was a Tire!! Something I can not ride my bike without! (it was a new to me bike I was putting on the road) But they didn't care if I was riding or not....... Why would I give them my money??......... No thanks!

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
This is not meant to bash J&P cycle but bash, bash, bash bash, bash... And the point is? Oh, that's right ... Not to bash J&P cycle.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Sounds fair to me - Send it back (with Tracking number) They will make it right - as they have offered. I would not expect them to send another helmet before getting yours back first -just not good business. Even if you ask for a refund they will NOT refund your payment until they receive your helmet back first.

·
Registered
325 Posts
There are way to many places out there that would love to have your money. shop elsewhere.
Competition Acc. in SC comes to mind. Good prices and service.

·
Registered
73 Posts
J&P is also one of the most expensive places to by anything. You can always find it cheaper somewhere else. That should tell you something.

·
Registered
5,923 Posts
The Helmet Shop in Daytona is a far better place to get a helmet. They have a much larger inventory and selection than any other place I have been to in Florida. They also have very good customer service.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
Sounds like a screw-up in the returned product department. Must have a guy not bothering to inspect returns and just throwing them back into stock. I have seen this elsewhere with other companies from Grainger to Wall-Mart. The lesson for them here is to follow up on what they told you and also fix the lazy problem person in the returns area.
High volume suppliers will always have these kinds of problems. They need to put the proper effort into correcting customer service when it is needed. If J&P is smart they will see these posts!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
The Helmet Shop in Daytona is a far better place to get a helmet. They have a much larger inventory and selection than any other place I have been to in Florida. They also have very good customer service.
What he said:agree:

·
Registered
386 Posts
Sounds like a screw-up in the returned product department. Must have a guy not bothering to inspect returns and just throwing them back into stock. I have seen this elsewhere with other companies from Grainger to Wall-Mart. !

Corventure Dave
I seen it yesterday at Advanced Auto. I got a distributor cap among other things. When the guy at the counter opened the box for the distributor cap, their was an old greasy used cap inside. Apprently someone returned it for a refund and someone didn't check the box before putting it back......... However, the difference here is the guy did check the part before selling it to me........

·
Registered
386 Posts
They need to put the proper effort into correcting customer service when it is needed. If J&P is smart they will see these posts!

They won't care........ J&P wouldn't even think that this is a problem........ Just spend your time and expense to ship it back to us because we screwed up............ I'm sure that will never cross anyone's mind at J&P....... Fixing their mistakes is not their responsibility! Personally, I would put a stop payment on my CC payment, then let J&P do the right thing by sending you a Return pick up via UPS. It's much cheaper for J&P to do that than it is for the customer to have to shell out shipping at full cost.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I look at this type of post as good information. The OP is a member since 2012 and has contributed to the board. His opinion is more valuable to me than all the fake reviews you see posted by paid Internet Marketing personas. Is he bashing, I don't think so, he is sharing his experience in order that others may make an informed choice. Sending out a used product is either careless, stupid or downright deceptive. Their are way too many vendors out there that go out of their way to ensure product quality. Sounds like J&P missed a good opportunity for quality control.

Thank you for the post. I appreciate the input. WE as consumers have little recourse in these matters. Our primary choices include allowing this activity to continue without exposure or (2) stating our experience in hopes that the company will improve their service or lose business.

Make your own choice, bash a bit and affect change or bash those who dare to stand up and object to poor business practice. Dismounting soap box.

This is not meant to bash J&P cycle but bash, bash, bash bash, bash... And the point is? Oh, that's right ... Not to bash J&P cycle.

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
602 Posts
I too was a frequent customer of J&P for YEARS & paid the $50/annual fee to be a "Gold Card Member" -or- whatever it was called to get discounts. For the 1st several yrs the $50 was a good investment.

What soured me on J&P was a screw-up when I tried to buy matching riding suits from their Iowa Hdqtrs. I called; emailed; etc., etc., etc., a few days in advance to see if 2 particular suits would be in stock - I was assured they were & would be. I had a biz mtg about 60 miles from their location... after driving several hundred miles to my meeting - whats another 60 (or 120 r/t) ??? I told the clerk over the phone my wife & I wanted to try on the gear. Again, no problem - it's here, here's our hours; etc., etc., etc. When I got to the warehouse, I couldn't find the gear anywhere. I asked a clerk & was advised: "Oh, you'll hafta order that - we don't keep that in stock" I then relayed my previous discussions; emails; etc., inquiring about availability; etc.,...... I was then scolded in the Iowa warehouse by the J&P clerk that I should have known that their phones are answered in Miami & how the heck would they know what's in stock in Iowa ???? I emailed & phoned my disgust. My phone call went to Miami....... they could care less....... I never rec'd a reply via email. Regardless to say I let my Gold Card membership expire & have not bought a single thing from them since.....

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I look at this type of post as good information. The OP is a member since 2012 and has contributed to the board. His opinion is more valuable to me than all the fake reviews you see posted by paid Internet Marketing personas. Is he bashing, I don't think so, he is sharing his experience in order that others may make an informed choice. Sending out a used product is either careless, stupid or downright deceptive. Their are way too many vendors out there that go out of their way to ensure product quality. Sounds like J&P missed a good opportunity for quality control.

Thank you for the post. I appreciate the input. WE as consumers have little recourse in these matters. Our primary choices include allowing this activity to continue without exposure or (2) stating our experience in hopes that the company will improve their service or lose business.

Make your own choice, bash a bit and affect change or bash those who dare to stand up and object to poor business practice. Dismounting soap box.
I understand what you are saying... but... There are very few vendors who never make a mistake. Vendors use people and so far people are not perfect. I have been on this board since 2007. You know how many people I have seen totally blast a vendor only to end up apologizing with egg all over his face when it was just a simple misunderstanding? But before that happens, people chime in saying someone else will take your money, don't ever buy from them again, that place sucks, etc. And the ones who say this stuff never come back to see the happy ending, but go on their merry way with a false opinion of that vendor. You get the idea. This type of thing gets contagious. I, myself have purchased many, many items from JP over many more years than I care to admit, but I have never had a problem of any kind. Even if I did I would wait until the final, final, final resolution before bashing the vendor. Maybe I should have got on here and bragged on them. My bad, I guess. Sorry for the long post. Oh yeah, I'm off my soapbox. :lol:

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
I think it's appropriate to post the circumstances of you're treated poorly by a vendor. Sounds like this person clearly was.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Sent from my iPhone
I really do not think I bashed J&P, I was just randomly posting that maybe I was being given a sign or signal that I really didn't need another helmet and two times not getting what I wanted (1st time not in my size, the 2nd getting a damaged helmet). When I called J&P they apologized and were very nice. I do not see where I bashed them but your entitled to your own opinion.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
There are very few vendors who never make a mistake. Vendors use people and so far people are not perfect. I have been on this board since 2007. You know how many people I have seen totally blast a vendor only to end up apologizing with egg all over his face when it was just a simple misunderstanding? But before that happens, people chime in saying Someone else will take your money, don't ever buy from them again, that place sucks, etc. And the ones who say this stuff never come back to see the happy ending, but go on their merry way with a false opinion of that vendor. You get the idea. This type of thing gets contagious. I, myself have purchased many, many items from JP over many years than I care to admit, but I have never had a problem of any kind. Even if I did I would wait until the final, final, final resolution before bashing the vendor. Maybe I should have got on here and bragged on them. My bad, I guess. Sorry for the long post. Oh yeah, I'm off my soapbox. :lol:
again, maybe I misread my own post, I did not bash J&P, my post, maybe not written clearly enough, was about trying to buy a helmet and twice not getting what I wanted and maybe this was a sign that I really did not need another helmet. I realize that the Daytona store may not carry every size of every helmet or any other part, I also realize mistakes in shipping can happen. I never said J&P was a bad company, I didn't say do not buy from them, in fact I said they apologized when when I talked to them on the phone. What I said was then instead of asking for a replacement I was considering a refund as this was maybe a sign not that I didn't need the helmet. This thread I started is a reminder of why I rarely post and I regret that I did post.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Naaaa... Ya need another helmet!

Sent from my iPhone

1 - 19 of 19 Posts