GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with both jacks being new and improved, which one to buy. Haven't read much about the newest and best, Your thoughts please and thank you,

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
with both jacks being new and improved, which one to buy. Haven't read much about the newest and best, Your thoughts please and thank you,
I haven't seen anything about improvements so I'll have to check that out. I have a J&S Jack and it's perfect for me. Love it.

I'd check out this video and then see what weaknesses they improved.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
William Anzik the J&S went to an 8 ton Pitbull also went to an 8 ton but put the valve up higher and removed the spring to make the foot peddle lighter.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
William Anzik the J&S went to an 8 ton Pitbull also went to an 8 ton but put the valve up higher and removed the spring to make the foot peddle lighter.
If that's all, I'd definitely pick the J&S. I like all the reasons shown in the video above, especially that the jack allows you to be closer to the bike by not sticking out so much.

·
Registered
759 Posts
J & S, made in Wisconsin.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
60 Posts
Have used a J&S jack on my previous Harleys. Will the J&S jack work without any modification on the 2018/19 Goldwing?

·
Registered
8,307 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
This looks like the J&S comparison video I saw 10+ years ago.
Defietely a nice jack, however it's just a promo video.
They apparently did not know how to use the HF lift. A fair comparison be would having their lift also only partly raised and not on the support lock. Not a lot of stability without it resting on the support locks.
Also the HF lift has a foot lowering pedal that allows one to hold onto the bike with both hands when lowering. Not bent over next to the bike like J&S.
HF redesigned the lifting ram several years ago. Kind of dumb, but to lower, the pedal has to be pushed all the way down to get to "slow" jack release! The first time someone uses it, the bike can slam down fast because the pedal was not pushed far enough. Kind of backwards from the standard, less you push the slower it goes! Not so with the HF. Perhaps they have fixed that in recent years.
The Pitbull has a larger foot print and lift height. It may flex like demonstrated. But it still moves around fine. I don't think many would want to be moving a elevated bike around on an uneven floor. But people do all kinds of stuff.

For me, the bottom line is that any motorcycle jack is great to have. I prefer mine over a lifting table. I can quickly raise the bike for cleaning or removing both rear and front wheels and most other maintenance. I always strap the bike to the lift when raised. A lifting table takes up to much room in my garage, and I occasionally like to park the bike in different spots.

The choice is yours. You'll enjoy having whatever tool you get.
What jack do I have??? A 15 year old HF lift. The one that lowers normally and made before they installed the goofy ram release! Still working like new!

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for the comments, I had a sears lift....the bike fell 2 times lift is history....looking for a better grade lift. If ANYONE knows of a used j&s PLEASE let me now. I know of 2 pitbulls for sale, but to far away. Like to find something in about 400 mile radius. John

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
J&S is a fine lift but the video they made seems kinda shady misleading to me. My lift happens to be a Pittbull and I’m very happy to have it, I believe Pittbull has the best wheels in the business.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
I bought Pitbull when it was the best available (J&S wasn’t produced yet). It still works great. My irregular floor can allow a wheel to flex off the floor with the heavy wing on it. But it is still rock solid. I have 2 little jacks (don’t lift as high and not as wide) that I use for little stuff like removing an engine or lifting a trailer for service. I would by J&S now if I needed a replacement.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
I have had both, the PB wins hands down except when it comes to the bottle jack, total crap. If I was buying a jack today I don't know which way I would go.

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
I have had both, the PB wins hands down except when it comes to the bottle jack, total crap. If I was buying a jack today I don't know which way I would go.
Hands down? Care to elaborate? I'm just curious why it isn't even close. I'm also interested on why you had both? I expect my J&S to outlast me by a long time.

According to post 4 they both have updated bottle jacks.

·
Registered
2,946 Posts
Hands down? Care to elaborate? I'm just curious why it isn't even close. I'm also interested on why you had both? I expect my J&S to outlast me by a long time.

According to post 4 they both have updated bottle jacks.
The PB base is wider and longer, the lifting arms are set wider apart, much more stabil, it also goes higher. I had no use for the PB after I bought the BMW. If the bottle jacks have been improved does anyone want to buy a J&S ?

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
8,307 Posts
The PB base is wider and longer, the lifting arms are set wider apart, much more stabil, it also goes higher. I had no use for the PB after I bought the BMW. If the bottle jacks have been improved does anyone want to buy a J&S ?
Thanks for the clarification.

Comes down to preference. I'd still prefer the the J&S Jack. I agree that the Pitbull arms are wider and it goes higher, but I disagree that's it's "much more" stable - or even any more stable. I don't need or want it to go any higher and I prefer the smaller footprint of the J&S Jack. When I'm installing my rear tire I sit facing the left saddlebag and use my arms and knees to lift the tire. Sometimes I have to push and manipulate my car tire to get it in there and hold it. If it was any higher I'd have a hard time - I'd need to lower it anyway. And where it sits now is perfect when I'm rolling around on my chair and I can still get in the trunk and work on top parts when I'm standing.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts