GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've called and e-mailed them again since my post. They do seem very concerned and have assured me that they are working on the issue and promised someone would call me. I wanted to be sure they understood that getting the bike (at least my 2018 GW DCT Tour) safely up on the jack is not the only issue. Once bike up on the jack, I need to be able to access three drain plugs (including capturing the used oil in a drain pan) and replace two (DCT and engine) oil filters. To date, I've not heard back.

Update: I spoke with Tanner at J&S on 5/30/18. He assured me that he would be working on developing an adapter that day (visiting a Honda dealer) and will follow-up (call) in about a week to let me know what / when to expect.

I reiterated to Tanner what I had earlier communicated to another J&S representative, i.e., that when designing a new adapter, J&S needs to consider that the engine spin-on oil filter has been slightly relocated and is now accessed from the bottom (not the front) left of engine, and on DCT models (my bike), a cover plate must be removed to gain access to change the DCT filter cartridge / O-ring AND also that there are now THREE (3) DRAIN PLUGS to contend with; and lastly, if their (J&S) dolly (which I also own) can be used to facilitate an oil change being performed (allowing clear access to the three drain plugs and both filters on DCT models) once the bike is lifted and jack is removed.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Haven't heard anything on an adapter from J&S! Hope they respond soon.
Thanks Bob!
Matt I called them yesterday for an update, 2-3 months is the best guess.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have owned the Harbour Freight lift for over 12 years now for lifting my quads,
motorcycles, dirt bikes, etc. Got it for $59.00 back then.

Had to use it on the 2018 Wing when I installed the center stand on my non tour.

A small block of wood as not to put and weight on the headers although it
looked to me that they were at same level as bottom of engine.
One arm on the center stand mount

It might not be as robust as some of the other hi dollar lifts so I don't lift
the bike any higher than necessary and never had the need to roll it around.
Just a caution: I had a HF lift that I used for my Triumph T100 and when I tried to lift my Harley Ultra it bent the lift. I bought a J&S on their Thanksgiving sale; what a huge difference in quality between them. I for one would never trust that HF lift on a big bike like the GW etc.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,092 Posts
J&S jack

Just a question for you folks that decide not to use your J&S jack on the 2018 GW. If you are thinking about selling the jack and are in the WA or OR area I may be interested in buying it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I hate to rain on your parade....but don't hold your breath.

Two and a half years ago, I purchased a J&S Jack for my F6B. The adapter they sent me with it turned out to be one they designed for a Valkyrie. No chance in **** of it fitting an F6B. When I called about it, they were not even aware that an F6B had a centre stand (Deluxe models do....Standard models have the mounting boss on the frame but no actual stand). The only research they had done on the bike at all, apparently, was sending a couple guys down to the local dealership to look underneath one and my guess is they didn't understand anything they saw.

After daily calls for several weeks and many photos taken and sent to J&S, they sent me a GL adapter...which also fit poorly. I even designed a well-fitting adapter and sent them technical drawings (free gratis) on how it could be easily manufactured.

The fellow kept telling me they were going to produce an F6B adapter (no idea whether they were embracing the one I designed or they had come up with their own)......but, here we are nearly three years later, and it hasn't yet happened. Or, if it has, they've not kept their promise to send me one.

I finally gave up and carved the crap out of their 'GL1800' adapter and I now use it. Total crap....but at least it can be bodged into working.

Guess that none of this should really surprise me. When I first received the jack, I had to tap out two sets of threads because they'd welded a bead over both of them and hadn't bothered to clean up their mess. I also had to properly drill the pedal for the pressure bottle because that had been done improperly as well.

General design -- A+
Adapter -- F
Quality Control -- D

Problem is...all of the competition is even worse. So I guess they can get away with all of this.

.....sT

·
Registered
43 Posts
I hate to rain on your parade....but don't hold your breath....

General design -- A+
Adapter -- F
Quality Control -- D

Problem is...all of the competition is even worse. So I guess they can get away with all of this.

.....sT
I agree with your grades. I had to send back two bottle jack's and a handle before mine worked right. The handle was too big for the receiver, two bottle Jack's leaked right out of the box. I wrote almost the same exact review it on the HD forum as you did, praising the design but saying that quality control is non existent

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I agree with your grades. I had to send back two bottle jack's and a handle before mine worked right. The handle was too big for the receiver, two bottle Jack's leaked right out of the box. I wrote almost the same exact review it on the HD forum as you did, praising the design but saying that quality control is non existent

I must have gotten a good one then unlike my Pitbull one bottle jack after the other.

Reactions: vistavette

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think they all source the bottle jack"s from China and they are the weak point on all of these units. There are multiple threads a bunch of other sites about this subject
I must have gotten a good one then unlike my Pitbull one bottle jack after the other.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I think they all source the bottle jack"s from China and they are the weak point on all of these units. There are multiple threads a bunch of other sites about this subject

I agree

41 - 49 of 49 Posts