GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a Craftsman lift two years ago for Christmas.
I used it twice.
The third time I went to use it,ti would not lift,and I found the the hydraulic jack had failed.
The one year warranty had expired and the store would not even listen to the idea that I had only used it twice.
I called Sears parts,and was told that a replacement jack is not available.

Any ideas where I might find a replacement jack?

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
Not being a smart a$$ but are you sure the relief valve that is opened to lower the jack has been closed. Just asking cause I've been there and done that.
The second suggestion is that you might want to look in your yellow pages and find a place nearby that services hydraulic jacks. I'm sure you can get your serviced for less than the cost of a new replacement.
I'd be surprised if the jack failed. They very seldom do that. The worst case is that an o-ring or seal might need to be replaced.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I am not familiar with that particular jack, but here goes.

If you are sure that the relief valve is working correctly, than it can only be short of oil. Most jacks have a screw closer to the top of the jack for filling.

If this jack does not have that, you can remove the relief valve and fill oil through there.

If an "O" ring has gone south, nothing short of replacing will work, with any certainty.

Cheap jacks are cheap. Might want to look at another bottle jack from Harbor Freight or Northern.

Bulldog

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
If all the other tips fail just size up the bottle jack thats made into the lift and try to locate another one the same size and retrofit it in. Terry

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
when you unscrew the relief valve,there is a piece similar to a needle valve.I'm guessing that actually is the relief valve.That piece broke. It looks like somehow it became unseated,and broke when I turned it in.

The problem with an offf the shelf bottle jack is that it would not have a mounting plate on it.

I will look and see if there is anyone around thatservices hydraulic jacks.I hadn't thought of that.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Jeff,

Most small bottle jacks are pretty universal and should cost less than $30.

The bases can be drilled, just be carefull if it is made out of "Pot Metal".

If ya lived closer, I could probably hook you up.

Dawg

·
Registered
126 Posts
go buy a new one just like it ,take your old one back the next day day you dont want it cause it dont work gimmie my money back.xx

1 - 7 of 7 Posts