GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Would like to ask what do you all think about this jacket. Is it worth the price ? Know of any other jackets that would be better ?

Made by Parker Synergies , I chose the Textile vs mesh

Some sites had it for $199.99 , this site has it at $169.97

http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/pks-549478/overview/

Manufacturer's Part Number 549478 Color: Silver

Textile jacket, uses water-resistant AR-600 frames, a removable quilted vest liner, and microfiber-lined colors and cuffs. Goldwing emblems on the front and back, reflective trim, and removable Vault CE-approved elbow, spine, and shoulder protectors. Additional features include zipper-controlled ventilation, waist adjusters, and belt loops for attaching pants.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
Boy no reviews on the web site (Powersportsplace.com) you might try google for reviews unless someone chimes in here that owns one.

I went with Joe Rocket mesh myself as you know it get H O T here in Florida but I am surviving with the LDC gear and closed mesh only with air vented through arms-wrist via my airwings mounted on mirrors like my own ac.

Good luck on your jacket adventure. Ride Safe!

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
... as you know it get H O T here in Florida...
I selected the textile , as I have the Entrosys A/C unit that connects to a vest. This textile style would allow the cooled air to circulate under the jacket. A mesh jacket would not work.

Example below, a/c unit, vest, and temp

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
Would like to ask what do you all think about this jacket. Is it worth the price ? Know of any other jackets that would be better ?

Made by Parker Synergies , I chose the Textile vs mesh

Some sites had it for $199.99 , this site has it at $169.97

http://www.powersportsplace.com/parts/pks-549478/overview/

Manufacturer's Part Number 549478 Color: Silver

Textile jacket, uses water-resistant AR-600 frames, a removable quilted vest liner, and microfiber-lined colors and cuffs. Goldwing emblems on the front and back, reflective trim, and removable Vault CE-approved elbow, spine, and shoulder protectors. Additional features include zipper-controlled ventilation, waist adjusters, and belt loops for attaching pants.
I had. One. For. A few years ,mine was red but same thing . It's a ok for the money . I found pads did not breath enough but mesh material did a very good job. Crash protection was about the same as Joe rocket, Tourmaster ,first Gear quality . Not a bad buy
FYI I wear motoport mesh jacket now . Apples to oranges though.
I selected the textile , as I have the Entrosys A/C unit that connects to a vest. This textile style would allow the cooled air to circulate under the jacket. A mesh jacket would not work.

Example below, a/c unit, vest, and temp
What price range does that set up cost . Thinking it may be cheaper to move north to a cooler climate >:) neat design though . I have seen water cooling vests , but this one seems to be the Cadillac of cooling

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I had. One. For. A few years ,mine was red but same thing . It's a ok for the money . I found pads did not breath enough but mesh material did a very good job. Crash protection was about the same as Joe rocket, Tourmaster ,first Gear quality . Not a bad buy
FYI I wear motoport mesh jacket now . Apples to oranges though.

What price range does that set up cost . Thinking it may be cheaper to move north to a cooler climate neat design though . I have seen water cooling vests , but this one seems to be the Cadillac of cooling
Retail cost is $1500, I got mine for alot less, was a demo unit, works just like new, didn't mine saving a couple hundred dollars.

I'll include information I've been sharing with another member through PM messaging.

Kenichi said:
I tried to purchase one last year but they sold out before I could get my hands on one.

Could you please share Pro's & Con's review of the vest with me. Looks like they will not be available until next year according to the Web site.

Thanks In Advance.

Kenichi
That's a shame they were out, as I understand it, they are made in Israel. I first learn of this product in 2010, have been following the progress, sent many emails back & forth begging them to produce these for the many riders here in the US.

Only "con" I can think of, which doesn't affect me, I have the unit sitting on the rear seat, its zipped to a mounting pad which has straps I've secured to the bike in various places. So a passenger would not be possible in the configuration I currently have. I've looked at the possibility of moving the unit inside the right side bag. I would have to fabricate vents on the front & rear of the bag and make a connection for the hose. - Not something I plan to do. I could see how it could work, also could make a connection to provide cooling for two riders. It would be less efficient.

Pro's - It works !! Uses a phenomenon called the Peltier Effect to supply cooling. When an electric current moves continuously between two different types of conductors, it creates a heat differential. One end of the Peltier cooler gets hot, and the other end gets cold

The unit has two huge heatsinks inside which make it more efficient.

Comes with a key-fob remote which have a rubber cover. Controls are easy to use while riding. Has fan / heating / cooling. The cooling speeds work like this, low, med , both work with the cooling on at the selected speed. The high setting works a bit different, the unit modulates the blower on & off to give a different cooling effect. I usually use the med-cool mode. - although, there have been some days where that setting was to cold. lol

They suggest wearing one layer under the vest, a breathable/wicking shirt is described as the best. I don't have one, but will try one sometime. The vest is comfortable. When riding, you don't notice the hose connected to it. (I've thought about applying a "NASA" patch on the hose, just for grins)

When stopped at lights, I've had many people put the window down and ask "What is that ?" I love the reaction when they hear its a/c ! They normally say that's cool, to which I say, "Yes, it is !" lol

The type of jacket you select is important, needs to be a sold material - not mesh. This allows the cooled air to circulate inside the vest.

Cost: Well, yeah, that could almost be a con, but I was able to get a demo unit for less than list. The comfort it provides is well worth it. I've had mine since September 2014.

Keep in contact with BikeAir USA LLC
[email protected] 561-207-8853 Get them to put you on a list to contact when one becomes available.

Good luck, let me know if you have any other questions. Hope this wasn't to long.

Dave ( CoolBlue87GT )
Punta Gorda FL

Kenichi said:
Great info thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Yea good idea about getting on the waiting list. I just have not heard much feed back from the various MC forums that I joined although a few mentioned owning the unit said they would do follow up performance of the unit did not follow through.

What kind of maintenance is required & related cost if any?

Is the operational noise a problem?

Have you also used the heat option on the unit? It's performance?

How well is the AC in our hot humid weather low to mid 90's with heat index 100 or more?

Again thanks for your time and sharing the information with me.

My email is [email protected]

Kenichi aka Al
Maintenance / cost ? Zero maintenance needed. Unit produces no moisture

Noise a problem ? Makes very little noise, fans inside are like computer fans. - In fact, I've worked on computers that made more noise ! lol There aren't any compressors, just three fans inside. Two draw air through the unit, one fan directs the cooled air into the hose which is connected to the vest. I've tested the temperature coming out of the hose on a 92 degree day with an infrared thermometer, it read 62 degrees. It may have continued getting cooler, but the sun was blazing down on me, so I put an end to that test.

Used heat option on the unit? It's performance? I have tried it, instructions say the warmest setting is on low. There were a few mornings that the heat setting made the ride more comfortable.

How well is the AC in our hot humid weather low to mid 90's with heat index 100 or more? In cooling mode, the vest delivers cool air to your torso, which cools your core. I've found that I do not sweat while using the unit when it's hot outside.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Interesting, some of the IBA guys last year had a set up like this, I think it was called core temperature control. Same type of system. I remember the unit was around 1100 for the whole set up. I will see if I can find the website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
314 Posts
Wonder how the wife would feel about her seat being taken up by a frigidaire? :)

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wonder how the wife would feel about her seat being taken up by a frigidaire? :)
She might give you the cold shoulder ! - lol

You might be able to mount the unit on top of the trunk rack. I set the unit on the rack, it does fit, would have to check the weight limit to see if it would be safe. You would need a longer hose, which the company does have.

Attachments

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did purchase one, ordered a large. When it arrived, it fit a bit snug, then I tried it on with the cooling vest underneath, oh boy, I couldn't get it zipped up. I'd forgotten that with the vest I'd need a larger size. I stopped by a local motorcycle shop, took the vest with me, tried on a few like jackets, turned out a 2x large would do the job.

Contacted the vendor, returned the large, ordered the 2x large, and while I was at it, ordered a new helmet in a silver metallic color. Figured with the blazing sun here, the silver would be cooler than the black one I'd been using.

Both arrived today, I suited up and tried it out. I sat on the bike in the garage, hooked the hose to vest, flipped the a/c on, I could feel cool air coming from the sleeves on my hands. I cinched up the Velcro on the wrists, then I felt cold air coming up from the collar into the helmet. Hmm, I like that, none of the other - none motorcycle jackets I'd been using did this. I removed the liner, cinched up the waist Velcro adjustments, it fits very nice. I can't wait to go out on the road and give it the real test.

·
Premium Member
1,592 Posts
How heavy is the unit?
Thanks for sharing info!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts