GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does the front tire need a jack under it so when the weight of the rear tire comes off it doen't fall forward. :eek:4:

I'm using the Northern tool jack. It is like the Sears or Harbor Freight one.

Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
249 Posts
No...Actually you can replace rear tire while the wing is on it's own stands. You don't need to use a jack at all...

Roadrat

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I haven't done it, but I've seen pictures of the bike leaned on its side when changing the rear tire. Gives you access to things without having to lie on the ground to see under the bags.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Some people put weight in the trunk, I never needed to, never had a problem.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I just use the center stand but I have used my Sears lift before.

·
Registered
2,789 Posts
I also made this little deal out of 1" Sq tubing. It's great for just getting the front wheel to clear the ground enough to let it rotate when the bike is on the center stand.

Another nice thing about is that it means you don't have to wrestle the front wheel too much when putting it back on. Just roll it up to the forks and slide the axle through.

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
i just change my rear tire while the bike is laying on its side, it is the way to go.
took maybe 10 minutes to do the entrie job, pull off the lugnuts removed tire, install new one, i keep a spare tire and wheel so this goes very fast.
i will never remove the rear cover and amp etc again. fyi get someone to help you lower it down makes it a lot easier, a piece of carper or mat will do the job just fine, of course you have to lay it on the right side. ;)

good luck

freak

·
Registered
502 Posts
Rear Tire

If it were me I would put a jack or some type of blocking under the frt wheel. If I am wrong no big deal :shrug:eek:r if I am right then the bike could nose dive on the frt wheel:eek:4:. That might not be a pretty sight:22yikes:. I would error on the side of safety for yourself and the bike:lol:. I have a pitbull and I still do it what is the real difference a few seconds. You will see pictures with the wheels off and no frt jack or blocking. It will only take around 15 min. to remove and replace the rear tire by using the jack it will drop stright down.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
TommyBoy...I have a lift similar to yours and I have not had to put anything under the front wheel while changing the rear. I just strap the bike down good and go to work. But if you are more comfortable shoring up the front wheel then by all means do so. It is not a bad idea. I probably will the next time I change the rear.

·
Registered
927 Posts
tommyboyTX
I also have the Harbor Freight M/C lift and I have never needed anything else when removing the rear tire. Just position the rear lift pad under the pivot point of the center stand and start pumping. It helps to run the rear pre-load control to the max to make it easier to slide the lift under the bike. I also have a small scissors jack from Wal-Mart the I use to lift the bike while on its center stand when changing the front tire. Laying the bike on its side also works great just remember to break the lug nut loose first.
Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
628 Posts
As earlier said nothing is needed. Put it on the center stand and remove the rear wheel. However, if you remove the front wheel you will have to place a support of some kind under the engine to prevent it from falling forward.

LAW

·
Registered
96 Posts
I had a flat just after putting my Rivco hitch on. Didn't want to remove the hitch and didn't have a MC jack. I put a 2 X 8 under the centerstand and jacked up the left side of the GW a little bit and the rear came right out.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Like many of the other post say, nothing is really needed. I find it easier for myself to use my Sears MC jack and raise the bike to a comfortable height. I have a hard time getting and staying down on my knees, so I even use the jack to change oil. Just my $.02 worth.
Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
rear tire replacement

I just replaced rear tire yesterday with bike on centerstand and nothing under the front.btw 19,000 miles on the dunlop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts