GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the Torin "BIG RED" 1500 lb. mc jack from Pep Boys on sale for $49.95... here is a link to see a picture of the jack:

http://bigbikeriders.com/photopost/show ... hoto=71602

OK, now comes the questions...

1. Have you ever used the Torin "BIG RED"? If so, what are your impressions? (Not interested in all the other jacks out there... only this one.)

2. How & where did you position it under the GW to keep it lifting & balanced so the front or rear wheel does not "sag" more or less than the other? Man, I could not find a convenient spot to make it do just that! I got nervous to the point that after several tries & different locations, I quit... I just did not want the SO come running out of the house and hollering... "What was that loud crashing noise and cussing about?"

3. Did you make an adaptor to fit the two saddle bars on the jack or modify the 'saddle' so it would fit the wing better?

4. Now for the most important question... does ANYONE know the exact center of balance (from underneath) of our beloved scooters? I guess I'll get a couple extra hands (to help hold it) and get my floor jack, use a thin piece of oak & start jacking up at different locations until I see the front & rear wheel come off the ground at the same time... so, if you know, please tell me so I can save all this labor (Thank You!)

I know a thread will get started about all the other jacks available... BUT let us keep it just with this jack... and if we, cumulatively, can make this sucker work, it will be one heck of a deal for a well built jack... gosh, and heavy also! I have got a full size truck/auto floor jack that is not much heavier than this new jack... there is a lot of THICK steel in this jack!

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I'm sure others will chime in if I missed something, which I usually do.

I have the Sears Jack, identical tho. I raise the setting to 25, and I have a 3/4 inch plywood piece (1' x 2') that I use under the rear wheel. Also, maybe a 1" or less piece of wood for under the kickstand.
From the RIGHT side of the bike, with setting at 25, and wood underneath rear wheel and kickstand, slide the LEFT arm of the jack underneath the pivot points of the center stand. don't worry about the RIGHT arm of the jack. Steady the bike using the handlebar and passenger grip, then, start pumping it up in the air, making sure to hold it steady.

Fred H. put out some info on the low quality of the bolts, and, using his advice, I replaced mine with, I believe, GRADE 8 bolts. I think someone's bolt sheared and dropped the bike, and there was another issue where the Hydraulic fluid leaked and left the bike hi and dri till they were able to get it back down on the ground.
I use ratchet straps once it's up in the air to steady it.

Hope this helps somewhat....

·
Registered
43 Posts
Jerry in the Windy City,
Thanks; your narrative is pretty explicit but I got to know, What bolts? I just purchased the same jack from Sears. Is there a weakness and a fix? I'd like to know before I pull it out of the box.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
The bolts being referred to are the ones that hold the assy. together.
As I understand it ? Fred replaced all the bolts in the whole unit, changing all the bolts to a higher grade of strength............ :)

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I have a jack from Sam's. I run the suspension full up and drive the front wheel up on a 6" long 1x2 slat. This makes it easier to get the jack under the bike. ALWAYS use straps! I almost dropped mine without them once when I was in a hurry.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
N9FRP,

QSL & Tnx! Very helpful... I am going to pull one of the bolts and take it to work & have them tested...

Gonna go out in the garage & see how it works...

Again, many tnx & best 73,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts