GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
these have been posted many times, USNCPORET


if you look hard you can probably find the video of them in use. It has been posted often also. they are interesting.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,227 Posts
I was expecting to see a Toyota. Wouldn't the wing be an American Tow bike?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,547 Posts
I don't think I'll worry any about pulling my Bushtec, and
its effects on my Goldwing.
Thanks for posting the pics. I saw a video years ago, but I
thought it was a one built only machine. Now I see there is
more. It must be for real. :D

Herb
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
What I dont understand is why do you need a motorcycle tow vehicle to tow a car? Wound't a car be good?? I don't understand this wacky idear.

Mike from Boston
 

·
Firm Member
Joined
·
3,159 Posts
MrG said:
What I dont understand is why do you need a motorcycle tow vehicle to tow a car? Wound't a car be good?? I don't understand this wacky idear.

Mike from Boston
The idea is that a Motorcycle can get inbetween traffic and get to the car long before a traditional wrecker can. They believe that it will save many hours in traffic jams. Thats their story and they are sticking to it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
399 Posts
You'd understand if you ever saw a Japanese traffic jam... :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
650 Posts
I saw this a year ago or so, and the reason was in Japan or somewhere where the traffic congestion was really bad. Towtrucks can't get to the diabled vehicle, and a bike can get there more easily. Kinda cool !!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
227 Posts
Mr.G

If my memory is correct the original unit was made in Denmark or Sweden and the idea was in heavy downtown traffic on express ways the M/C could get in where a bigger car/truck could not. They could then get the broken vehicle out and free up the traffic block.

Also if my memory is correct there is someone in CA using the same basic unit.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will set the record straight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
Here in Boston tow trucks are allowed to drive in the breakdown lane and drive up oneway streets to get to the vehicle. :?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,194 Posts
66plus said:
Mr.G

If my memory is correct the original unit was made in Denmark or Sweden and the idea was in heavy downtown traffic on express ways the M/C could get in where a bigger car/truck could not. They could then get the broken vehicle out and free up the traffic block.

Also if my memory is correct there is someone in CA using the same basic unit.

If I am wrong I am sure someone will set the record straight.
The Unit is made by a company in Sweden in response to the need to reach disabled vehicles in dense traffic and population areas. I would venture to guess the units in the photos from japan are imported or licensed from ComingThrough. http://www.comingthrough.se/index.php

MrG wrote:
What I dont understand is why do you need a motorcycle tow vehicle to tow a car? Wound't a car be good?? I don't understand this wacky idear.
Tow trucks have very slow response times in dense traffic jams. This would allow disabled vehicles (contributing to the congestion/problem) to be removed quicker alleviating the issue. Discovery Canada segment http://www.exn.ca/video/?video=exn20040414-towbike.asx

The weight of the towed vehicle all rests on the 3 wheeled collapsible frame. I would have to believe the original aluminum trunk and bag sub frame is removed for this unit to be installed. Towing a smaller vehicle would be similar to towing a large camper trailer. They have towed over 7000 lbs. with this unit (a station wagon with a small camper trailer).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,678 Posts
laen said:
I was expecting to see a Toyota. Wouldn't the wing be an American Tow bike?
Good point...It would be wouldn't it... :yes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm glad that some people enjoyed these pictures, even though they have been posted before. I had never seen them. It is a cool concept, I don't think I'd like to be the one driving though. I can't imagine that the brakes on the Goldwing were desighed to stop so much momentum.

Ken H
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,004 Posts
USNCPORET said:
I'm glad that some people enjoyed these pictures, even though they have been posted before. I had never seen them. It is a cool concept, I don't think I'd like to be the one driving though. I can't imagine that the brakes on the Goldwing were desighed to stop so much momentum.

Ken H
there is a video somewhere of one of these units towing a car in what looks like the english countryside...........slight hills etc..........that was the first thing that came to my mind? Brakes?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,382 Posts
I Europe, there are a lot of small towns that have streets narrow enough that 2 cars passing each other in oposite directions, one has to get up on the sidewalk to get by.
Most of the small country towns in Germany that I've been in still have several hundred year old streets that were originally built for wagons and carts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,534 Posts
Would that setup void the warranty?

Mike
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top