GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think with Honda pulling back to Japan and the great increase in the Yen vs Dollar. I belive my favorite bike and favorite passion will be totally out of reach. Hope the old bessie holds up.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I know what you mean, but perhaps motorcycles built in their new state of the art facility can be built at a significantly reduced cost. Perhaps.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Have to agree with the price increases I think that will come making the GW beyond a lot poeple's ability to afford them. Glad mine is only 2 years old and I won't need to upgrade for a lot of years if ever. :cry:

·
Fire Eating Member
6,473 Posts
If my memory serves me correct.. back in the 80's when the Goldwing was built in Japan... the "import tax" was about $750.00... when the Wing was about half the MSRP today... anyone care to guess what it will be on the 2010 Goldwings ?????????... :22yikes:

cosmic

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
The price of the 1800 remained relatively stable for quite a few years with the main differences initially just the additional $1000. for an ABS bike and $600 for one of the illusion colored bikes, even with new year models. IMO, life was pretty sweet and you could add specifically which accessories and which manufacturer of that item you wanted for some pretty decent prices (and certainly much much better functionality than if they came as an added item direct from Honda's factory). Then people started putting together wish lists for what they wanted different on the new models and the game rules and pricing began to change pretty dramatically to the higher. Sure some changes to the Wing have been for the good and others IMO are only worth a faction of what Honda added ultimately to the cost now.

I've enjoyed building and equipping my 1800 the way "I" wanted with specifically what I wanted. It would cost me a bundle to duplicate my Wing with a new model even without the change in relative value of dollar verses yen, and I don't know that I would be quite as happy with it ---- maybe / maybe not.

The bike has long long since been paid for and should last a long long time and many many 10's of thousands of miles and more so I suppose I won't worry about it. I will be sad to lose my extended warranty this coming May, but I've certainly gotten more than my money's worth of enjoyment and great riding out of this Wing, and more to come still yet.

DaleC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts