GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experience towing a trailer loaded with a Wing with this vehicle? I'd be interested in any feedback you might offer. Thanks....ride safe.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
I wouldn't tow with a wrangler. The V6 is not all that powerful. It's rated to tow 3500lbs max. I'd assume that's in a Rubicon with the 4.10 gear ratio. The 3.73 may still be rated at 3500lb, I'm not sure. My wife has a 2008 wrangler with the 6sp and we like it a lot, but thinking of towing anything with it would not be particularly something I would look forward to. Definately not with the auto trans. The Jeep groups are chock full of problem with that auto even without towing. If you never hit much hills, the 6 speed would probably be ok, but not in the mountains. It takes some pretty good shifting to keep 65mph up mountain passes empty. Don't want to say it's not a good vehical, we just love the jeep, but not for towing for me at least.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I think it depends on the size of the trailer. I suspect you could tow one of those single bike, open aluminum trailers with a Wing aboard, but anything more than that is going to be a real problem; expecially in the mountains. Someone on another thread said you run out of motor real fast pulling a trailer up a mountain and I certainly agree with that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I pulled a 6x12 trailer with my 2006 Rubicon 1600 miles. Had a 300lbs bike on it:

No problems. Acceleration, braking and gas milage were obvisouly affected, but it handled great. I also used the same rig to haul my dirtbike (200lbs) and my Rincon (650lbs) out to offroad areas. No problems at all. With bikes, gear, trailer, coolers, etc, I'm sure we were probably right at the 2000lbs limit for my Rubicon. Since you have the unlimited, I can't imagine you will have any problems with a trailer and a wing. Just make sure you are loaded properly (see your other thread), trailer is level, and be prepared for extending braking and acceleration distances. Also, drive smart. No sudden moves that will upset the balance of it all.

WGW

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
One time deal with an open trailer might work OK, but you've got to watch your speed.. Problem is with choppy highways or lane changes you can get quite a sway going and that's pretty unnerving. The problem is that it's a short wheelbase tow vehicle with a high center of gravity..

For reference, the Goldwing with an open trailer would be 1200-1400#.. A short, single axle enclosed trailer it's closer to 2000# loaded..

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
I've got a Wrangler Unlimited and have pulled a 5x8 enclosed trailer with about 1000lb in it. I won't do it again. If you've drove a Jeep into a head wind on the Interstate, you can imagine how much a trailer will bog it down.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, you may want to steer clear of enclosed trailers with the Wrangler. For my 2006, there was mention in the manual of maximum "frontal area" of your trailer. If memory serves, a 5x8 enclosed would have way exceeded the maximum frontal area on mine.

WGW

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
It was a low profile trailer, 5 ft. inside, so it was less than a foot higher than the Jeep. Jeeps just don't like pulling a trailer.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Interesting. Sounds like your experience was exactly the opposite of mine.

WGW
Not really, I was probably pulling 3 to 4 times the weight you were. I've pulled a small open trailer with a couple of scooters on it with no problem.

Ya got to remember that the thread is about pulling a trailer with a Wing in or on it. The wing alone would weigh as much as your trailer and a 300lb bike.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Guess I wasn't clear....

I have pulled a 1000 pound open trailer with 1000 pounds of cargo on the trailer for a total of 2000 pounds combined trailer and cargo weight. No problems. The 1000 pounds of cargo could just as easily have been a Wing. Any weights over that or enclosed trailers, I have no experience with and can not comment.

WGW

·
Registered
801 Posts
Also keep in mind that a longer wheelbase generally makes for a more controlled (less bumps and sway) ride. I've never pulled with that model jeep; but it seems to have a pretty short wheelbase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts