GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the Jell Pad's worth the money. Guess I have a tender posterior. No, no guessing, I do have a tender back side. I just thought the pads were a little pricy. Before I got home, I think that given the chance, I would have paid twice the price. For those of you who have a Jell Pad.... DO THEY WORK? Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Try one for yourself.
Wally world has them for $20.00. Look in the same area they keep their seat covers.

Are they worth it? For me, they add maybe a couple hours riding per day to what I would otherwise get. All day comfort? Not hardly!

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
Gel pads, like the surface of the OEM seat, will created "hot spots" and sore points after awhile. Beadrider Ultimate pad increases surface area for your butt, and lets cooling air circulate. I alternate between the Beadrider and the Walmart Relaxation pad (soft cushion) and can ride all day. Total investment: $75. for both! :thumbup:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Are the Jell Pad's worth the money. Guess I have a tender posterior. No, no guessing, I do have a tender back side. I just thought the pads were a little pricy. Before I got home, I think that given the chance, I would have paid twice the price. For those of you who have a Jell Pad.... DO THEY WORK? Thanks.
I have a Pro Pad gel pad ($70)and a bead seat I got from Walmart for $8 (you have to do a little remodeling). Both items do different things. A gel pad will help if you have a tailbone issue. Where I like the beads is on a hot day. The air that circulates through it as you ride helps prevent swampazz which can be another cause of discomfort.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Someone on here suggested using two of the Walmart gel pads and I gave it a try -- found it to be great. I just stack them so I can give one to my wife when she is along. Also provides a little more leg room (though maybe too much for a short-legged rider).

·
Registered
68 Posts
Gel pad did not help me, had to get a new seat.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, guys. Guess it is Jell Pads, Beads, and Monkey Butt Powder. Welp, everything can't be just right. Unless I could mount my recliner on my bike.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have the walmart gel pad for $20 and it works well. I also have a sheepskin which works well. I think the trick for real long rides is to change it up. I take both with me and alternate between the naked seat, the sheepskin and the gel pad. That seems to work best for me.

·
Registered
758 Posts
I recently bought a Skwoosh pad from someone on the board. I have tailbone issues. I also have a Wally world cushion. I tried both and found neither of them, separately, did anything for MY issue. However, together, I can now ride for a much longer time, over 4th of July put 980 miles on her in 4 days.

I put the Skwoosh pad INSIDE the wally world cushion it fits really well. Egg crate side of the Wally world up, gel pad under the rubber insert of the wally world cushion, then cut a tail bone relief in the wally world rubber part.

My tailbone still got sore but could ride through a tank of gas before it got really uncomfortable and had to get off and stretch but at that point I needed gas anyway.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
The Walmart pad is ok for what it is. It has a waffle interior and is airy. Sheepskin is my fave, but all I want is air circualtion and they really work FWIW.
True gel pads don't do it for me. They have hot spots over time and absorb a lot of heat from the sun if you leave it out.
What is your goal in the gel seat? None will make a bad seat good. They may help on a decent seat depending on what you want.

Happy Hunting

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thought I'd drop this in:

I tried using the passenger seat for storing my Walmart pad when not in use. They can blow off and be lost and gone forever like "Darlin' Clementine". I lost a double one on a long ride. I replaced it with a single (so far). I was going for a short run to a fast food place and left the single one on the passenger seat, thinking I wouldn't be going fast, so....you get the picture. I found it a day or 2 later at the end of my neighbor's driveway after a heavy rain! Took awhile to dry it on the tailgate of my truck.

Moral of the story: Keep them in your top box or saddle bag when not using them.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
One thing is for absolute certain - what works for some folks does not work for others when it comes to seat comfort. On my Concours, I have a low Sargent seat that is okay up to about 300-350 miles. But for really long days I use a gel/sheepskin pad from Alaska Leather. I actually tried it on my GW and didn't like it.

The very best thing for all day riding is to stop every 100 miles at most, and later in the day I like to reduce the intervals to about 75 miles. And something I learned from someone regarding long trips in cars - stop whether you think you need to or not, and in a car change drivers whether you need to or not.

Too many people seem to think there is a prize for riding the longest miles without stopping. I don't get that. All it takes is a 10 minute stop to make a difference, but when I'm riding with my friend (which is most of the time) we find that we sit and talk for 20 minutes or so and are ready to go again.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I have the pad on my V-Strom with an inch of NASA memory foam inserted. 1/2 in on top side and 1/2 in on bottom side. It is 200% better with the NASA memory foam inserted.

I have a Diamond on my GL and it's the best for me. I also had Diamond rework my Versys seat and it was great so the V-Strom will probably head to Fla for some upgrade in the winter. I do not use the cloth inserts that Diamond is known for, I like an all vinyl seat, especially when it rains.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts