GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone try the 'Jett' battery powered electric vest yet? Good write-up in "webbikeworld". Claims to last 6-8 hours on the low/med settings.

Ken

http://www.jett.us.com/

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
kenbelt said:
Anyone try the 'Jett' battery powered electric vest yet? Good write-up in "webbikeworld". Claims to last 6-8 hours on the low/med settings.

Ken
Ken,
I checked out their (Jett) website and read the article from "webbikeworld". Sounds interesting. My only worry about it would be how long will the life of the battery be? Can we get that type of battery pack here in the US?

Hope someone can give us more info on it.

David

BTW, I came thru Austin (on the Goldwing) on Sunday with SO going to San Antonio New Year's Eve and came back thru on Monday. Ate at Dukes BBQ :eat1: in Georgetown on Monday.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just ordered the Jett vest. Should receive next week. Will provide a review as soon as possible.
Ken

·
Love The DCT
11,794 Posts
kenbelt and TexanTrail:

I ordered a Jett vest on Jan 19 and received it on Jan 22. I posted a fairly extensive review of it on the General Board on Jan 26th.

On the low setting, the battery lasted over 7 hours. I really like it because no hookups are required. Have worn it extensively since I received it. It will get a really good workout this weekend as temps here in MN will be in the double digits below zero with some really nasty wind chill temps.

If you order the vest from Jett online, they will send you an extra battery pack for no charge. Just mention that you read about the vest on WebBikeWorld. The batteries are lithium polymer batteries. They are a favorite of the remote controlled model airplane crowd because of their compact size, light weight, and high power.

So far, I am very pleased with the Jett vest. Come this spring, I will try it out when riding the bike.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rec'd the vest and have just worn it around the house to see how long the battery lasts. Alternating between low and medium the battery lasted over 6 hours. I am going to check it out on the bike tomorrow and will report back.
Ken

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
kenbelt said:
Rec'd the vest and have just worn it around the house to see how long the battery lasts. Alternating between low and medium the battery lasted over 6 hours. I am going to check it out on the bike tomorrow and will report back.
Ken
Maybe I didn't dig deep enough, but what is the cost??? in USA Green backs

·
Registered
179 Posts
300 BUCKS ! :(

·
Love The DCT
11,794 Posts
Ifly:

The cost is $275.00 AUD for the vest and $45.00 AUD shipping. In US dollars, that works out to $251.17 for the vest and shipping. Credit card company then added an extra $7.53 charge for a foreign transaction. Therefore my total cost was $258.70 US dollars.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Seems like a Gerbing jacket liner would be much cheaper, $199.

·
Love The DCT
11,794 Posts
Blue Wing:

I agree the Gerbing's jacket liner is cheaper at $199 bucks and it costs you between $8 to $15 bucks for a harness to hook it up to the bike's battery. If you add the dual controller, that is $99 bucks. Now you have exceeded the cost of the Jett vest and you still do not have the portability of just getting off the bike without having to worry about unplugging anything.

The Gerbing jacket liner draws 6.4 amps and cranks out 77 watts. Gerbing's portable Lithium Ion battery pack is for its products that do not exceed 60 watts, and its cost is $189 bucks.

So let's compare apples to apples, Jett's heated vest to Gerbing's heated vest. The Gerbing vest is $139 bucks. The above portable LiIon battery pack will power it. Now the cost is up to $328 bucks. My total cost for the Jett vest including shipping and foreign transaction fee was $258 American bucks. Plus I received an extra battery pack worth $65 bucks at no charge just for mentioning that I read the evaluation on webBikeWorld.com. I don't think it is a bad deal at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I enjoyed a three hour ride yesterday morning on my way to to "Texas Challenge" at Centerville. Departure temp was 32 and I arrived at Centerville 3 hours later and the temp was 42. The Jett vest performed as advertised. I kept it on the Med setting with an occasional bump up to High. All the heat is in the back and really kept my body core nice and warm. I ride with a backrest and that seems to help keep the heat concentrated. After lunch, the temp as in the lower 50s so I didn't use the heat on the return leg. I did however run around the house with the heat on to see how long the battery would last and I got another 3 hours of heat in the low setting. All in all a great product. (Just wish it would keep my toes warm!)
Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts