GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for a ride with the wife yesterday with the radio playing and intercom on and all of a sudden she is hitting me on the shoulder saying why are you ignoring me. Anyway the headset radio/intercom works in her helmet and the radio works in mine. I only hear the radio not the com.
I guess some people would say that is a good thing but after getting hit several times, I think I need to get it fixed. I dont think my shoulder could take it anymore.
Any ideas why she cant hear me? I checked the connections from what I can see it looks fine. We just used this set up last week and no signs of anything going wrong, it worked fine.
Any help would greatly be appreciated.
Rick

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Have had that happen to me also with one of my JM BCD277 headset's. On my unit, It turned out to be the lower section cord that plugs into the helmet set cable. Just a few wiggles of the cable connector and it worked again..... for a couple months, until it needed another bunch of wiggles to make the connection. I swapped it with our other helmet lower section cord to be sure to isolate the problem and then sent it back to JM. They replaced it right away, no charge.
Hope this is the same quick fix you may need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Had the same thing happen on a trip last summer. After trading cord around I isolated it to the upper cord. Found a position that it would work in for the rest of the trip. Sent cord in and they replaced it. Ordered a spare upper and lower cord and store them in the trunk

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Had the same thing happen on a trip last summer. After trading cord around I isolated it to the upper cord. Found a position that it would work in for the rest of the trip. Sent cord in and they replaced it. Ordered a spare upper and lower cord and store them in the trunk
Yep. Carry a spare pair of cords for the same reason. J&M has replaced two already over several years. Never a question.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep. Carry a spare pair of cords for the same reason. J&M has replaced two already over several years. Never a question.
I tried swapping the cords and helmets around and it seems to be the mic that is bad.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I tried swapping the cords and helmets around and it seems to be the mic that is bad.
Check the connector where the mic connects to the block on the helmet. I had a wire break there and the mic stopped working. Little time and some soldering and I was back up and talking.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Check the connector where the mic connects to the block on the helmet. I had a wire break there and the mic stopped working. Little time and some soldering and I was back up and talking.
Checked all connections and all seem to be in tacked. Must be the mic it self. This is not making me very happy. Didnt need to spend more money right now.
I am in contact with JM Headsets and will be sending them an email tomorrow and see what they will do for me if anything

Thanks for your concern
Rick

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Checked all connections and all seem to be in tacked. Must be the mic it self. This is not making me very happy. Didnt need to spend more money right now.
I am in contact with JM Headsets and will be sending them an email tomorrow and see what they will do for me if anything

Thanks for your concern
Rick
Just recently had the same thing happen. I have redundant cords, and mics and eventually narrowed it down to the Mic. Let me know what you hear from J&M.

Thanks,

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well JM Heads Sets emailed me back and they told me to send the unit to them and they will take care of the problem. They think it's the mic or clamp-socket assembly.
:agree:

Now that's what I call service
Regards, Rick

·
Registered
741 Posts
They have replaced several cords and a couple of headsets for me in the past 4 years. I have some questions about their quality but NOT their service. These have all been the UN series, or the mid set of their line. I now have the Elite sets and so far, no problems for a few months.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
They have replaced several cords and a couple of headsets for me in the past 4 years. I have some questions about their quality but NOT their service. These have all been the UN series, or the mid set of their line. I now have the Elite sets and so far, no problems for a few months.
My next pair will be Edsets. Ive heard nothing but raving reviews on Sound quality along with being well made also.

·
Registered
25 Posts
J&M

I am so impressed with J&M. The bike I just bought had the passenger volume controller and push to talk on it and somehow the volume knob turned up missing. I emailed them and asked if I could purchase a replacement knob and the president of the company emailed me back telling me to de install the unit, mail it in and they would replace it with an upgraded version. I got it via UPS yesterday. They seem to be really eager to provide customer satisfaction.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
My next pair will be Edsets. Ive heard nothing but raving reviews on Sound quality along with being well made also.
Not knocking Edsets, Never had them, but the grass is allways greener on the other side the fence.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just recently had the same thing happen. I have redundant cords, and mics and eventually narrowed it down to the Mic. Let me know what you hear from J&M.

Thanks,
Well just to give you an update. The mic was bad and JM replaced the whole headset with the updated version (much nicer). My unit was 12 years old and they dont even make that model anymore so I guess it was due to be replaced anyway. When I purchased my GL1800, the headet sets came with the helmets and bike, so I didnt know how old they were. Anyway, The company is great to work with and will definetly stick with their products in the future.
Regards, rick

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well just to give you an update. The mic was bad and JM replaced the whole headset with the updated version (much nicer). My unit was 12 years old and they dont even make that model anymore so I guess it was due to be replaced anyway. When I purchased my GL1800, the headet sets came with the helmets and bike, so I didnt know how old they were. Anyway, The company is great to work with and will definetly stick with their products in the future.
Regards, rick
YUP! On the way from Daytona Speedway to Destination Daytona my upper cord went out and wife couldn't hear me.

I stopped in at the J & M Trailer in the vendor area they took the cord back and gave me a new one - no questions asked! Not many companies will treat ya that way these days - no receipts, no asking how long I had it, just "here's a new one, have a great day"!!

Dave Epler
Owner of lots of J & M Stuff because of their customer service!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
YUP! On the way from Daytona Speedway to Destination Daytona my upper cord went out and wife couldn't hear me.

I stopped in at the J & M Trailer in the vendor area they took the cord back and gave me a new one - no questions asked! Not many companies will treat ya that way these days - no receipts, no asking how long I had it, just "here's a new one, have a great day"!!

Dave Epler
Owner of lots of J & M Stuff because of their customer service!!
Dave, Are they up at Daytona this week, cause I'm headed up there this weekend and wanted to drop by and say hello to John the president of the company to show my appreciation.
Regards, Rick

·
Registered
571 Posts
I've had good service from J & M
Always look them up rallys
John is very helpful
They love their work and it shows

1 - 18 of 18 Posts