GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of August's Ride of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
You said those who left were too stubborn and didn't get their way without even know why the split happened. You think the people should just tough it out for the "good of the community" without knowing why 2 groups split from GWRRA a few years apart? Yeah, just keep paying dues to a group that doesn't meet your needs. That makes sense. :rolleyes:
I said I didn't know "for sure." Maybe instead of responding like that, you could educate me. I'm listening.

·
Registered
133 Posts
If I got this right, we now have three Gold Wing focused organizations:

1) Gold Wing Touring Assoc. (GWTA)
2) American Gold Wing Assoc (AGWA)
3) Wing'd Riders

and one general motorcycle association that will have a lot of Gold Wing owners

A) Eagle Wing Motorcycle Assoc (EWMA).

Kinda like there are four major Gold Wing forums (not to mention countless social media groups)

In my opinion, that is just sad :confused: ... really wish they (the folks leading those groups) would take the effort to find common ground for the Gold Wing community as a whole. United we stand, Divided we fall (or shrivel away)
Even within the organizations many Chspters have chosen indepence rather the merging in order to maintain a core active riding group.

I've been banging the drum for years..if there aren't at least 6 bikes parked out front on meeting day the Chapter is doomed. Doesn't matter that your membership list has 50 or 100 members. New guy is not going to join a motorcycle club with only 2 or 3 active riders.

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
I guess I didn't realize JMC was going to set up Chapters too. I thought it was just a magazine and a rally. He just posted about setting up Chapters too.

Wing'd Rider said:
Also this week and next week, we will be hard at work setting up the CHAPTERS section of Wing’d Riders Website to mimic the current Chapter, State and Regional arrangements set up by GWRRA and all current chapter presidents will be receiving communication on how to go on the Wing’d Rider website and set up their own individual chapter pages.

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
What’s a magazine?
An ancient laptop device that required no power to operate, but an external light source to view. It was manual.

·
Registered
3,963 Posts
I said I didn't know "for sure." Maybe instead of responding like that, you could educate me. I'm listening.
You sounded pretty sure in post #13. And I already told you...it's been 30 + years since I was in AGWA. I remember those folks saying it was GWRRA leadership that was the problem and NOT those who decided to take their dues and form their own club. Maybe the GWRRA leadership at the time was too stubborn and NOT those who left, especially since it was 2 groups in the span of a few years who separated.

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
I already told you...it's been 30 + years since I was in AGWA. I remember those folks saying it was GWRRA leadership that was the problem and NOT those who decided to take their dues and form their own club. Maybe the GWRRA leadership at the time was too stubborn and NOT those who left, especially since it was 2 groups in the span of a few years who separated.
I want to submit a correction. I was wrong. I didn't say what I really wanted to say. Let me try and clear it up.

I said I agreed with Navy Gator and I do. All leaderships should have/should now, come together and form a strong group. ALL. That would have included GWRRA. Obviously, they were stubborn as well. You said GWRRA couldn't meet the needs of AGWA. Why not? Was GWRRA stubborn and told them to pound sand? Probably. I think GWRRA could have met whatever the needs were - I can't imagine what they were though.

So, will everyone come together? Of course not. But I do wish they would. It's a nice dream. Like world peace.

So I hope that clears up my position a little better. I didn't do a good job earlier.

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
It appears the magazine might be digital only, which is the trend.
  • 12 month subscription to WING’D RIDER Magazine’s enhanced digital version.
Yes, that disappoints me. My job is staring at a screen all day. Sometimes it's nice to get away from electronics and flip through some physical pages. Plus, I don't bring my laptop into the bathroom... LOL! But It's got to cost a fortune to set up, print and mail hard copies. Oh well. At least it's something.

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
Maybe they will divide it up into two major chapters..…. The 6 speed manual chapter and the DCT chapter.
Well, we'd need a 5-speed chapter too. Or a SIG, at least. :D

·
Registered
484 Posts
This is so complicated to understand. So I avoid them all. I sense J&M owner needs this to have sales activity or else go under. I agree that there should be just one organization but there won't be, as this is human nature and why humans fight.

·
Registered
20,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
I joined both. My wife can deal with the EWMA because it will be mostly social and I might ride with them from time to time. I will be more involved with the Wing D Rider group in hope that it is more of a riding group. If it's not your thing move on buddy but why discriminate? Me I thinks it's nuts to put worthless Chinese chrome on your bike but if that is your thing great. To each their own. If either group is not for me I will quit participating.

Tomorrow I am meeting a friend from my old Chapter W in Texas at 7 AM in the morning for breakfast in Houston and doing a ride for the Shriner group. I am not a member. Experience new things, if you don't like them change or move. Much like Politics

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Our GWRRA chapter (and it sounds like the majority of the KS chapters) are taking a wait and see as far as future chapter affiliation goes. We're going to keep meeting for the social aspect and do rides as usual; got a pop-up ride tomorrow. At least within my earshot out here, no one is badmouthing any group. Everyone is just waiting to see how this plays out. I may go on and join both just to get plank owner status.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Even within the organizations many Chspters have chosen indepence rather the merging in order to maintain a core active riding group.

I've been banging the drum for years..if there aren't at least 6 bikes parked out front on meeting day the Chapter is doomed. Doesn't matter that your membership list has 50 or 100 members. New guy is not going to join a motorcycle club with only 2 or 3 active riders.
Exactly, the national org title or association is useless without the local group. As a new Wing owner I tried the local chapter for half a dozen or so meetings. Always rode to the meetings and maybe saw 2-3 total bikes in all of the meetings and no rides. It was a social club with lots of excuses of why they don’t ride. I could care less which national group they associate with, it will be the same local social club.

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Just joined Wing'd Riders....we'll see how it goes in the next year. If anyone can make it a success John Lazzeroni has the drive and background to do so.
Nice guy, I've spoke to him several times at previous rallys and Wing Dings.

Nice to see they already have a Rally planned for 2023.

Reactions: William Anzik

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
back in the late 80's and 90's we were GWRRA Chapter "O" out of orange county Calif.My GWRRA numbner was in the 7*&^%, only 5 numbers. We were very big, had 100 + members at our meetings. GWRRA was dictating to much what we could and could not do and what we had to do with our money. We pulled out of GWRRA and joined GWTA, there was a fire in the garage of the head of the GWTA area rep and all our financial records were destroyed, Yea right! We incorporated and became Chapter "O" touring riders. No one tyo anaswer to but 8us. Had a great many years, all different makes of bikes and friends.

Reactions: Navy Gator

·
Super Moderator
9,299 Posts
back in the late 80's and 90's we were GWRRA Chapter "O" out of orange county Calif.My GWRRA numbner was in the 7*&^%, only 5 numbers. We were very big, had 100 + members at our meetings. GWRRA was dictating to much what we could and could not do and what we had to do with our money. We pulled out of GWRRA and joined GWTA, there was a fire in the garage of the head of the GWTA area rep and all our financial records were destroyed, Yea right! We incorporated and became Chapter "O" touring riders. No one tyo anaswer to but 8us. Had a great many years, all different makes of bikes and friends.
Doing everything right, is the group still thriving?

·
Registered
2021 Honda Goldwing Tour DCT
46 Posts
Yes, that disappoints me. My job is staring at a screen all day. Sometimes it's nice to get away from electronics and flip through some physical pages. Plus, I don't bring my laptop into the bathroom... LOL! But It's got to cost a fortune to set up, print and mail hard copies. Oh well. At least it's something.
Do you have a printer connected to your 'puter?

21 - 40 of 43 Posts