GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have also been looking into buying mesh pants. Will be interested in the comments you recieve. I have owned a couple Joe Rocket Phoenix jackets, and love them.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Free-Air™ poly/mesh shell
Height adjustable Grade “A” C.E. rated knee protectors
Rock Tex™ seat and knee reinforcements
Full length side zippers
Sure Fit™ adjustable waistband; new pattern eliminating any unwanted bunching
Removable high density hip padding
Two external pockets
Melt resistant material on lower leg area
8” zipper for jacket attachment
Reflective stripes
If they work as good as my Joe Rocket jacket I say GET THEM!!

:bow:

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I got a pair before my long ride last summer. The are good and comfortable. Airflow was fair. It must always be considered that when wearing protective gear, it is not as comfortable, in hot weather, as riding in a T shirt and shorts. Dress for the slide not the ride.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
Joe Rocket makes some good, durable products.
I have a JR mesh jacket and a pair of Ballistic (not mesh) pants which I've worn for 8+ years. Comfortable, washable, durable, reasonably priced.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Mesh riding gear is something where the idea appears to be good but in practice doesn't work unless all of your riding is between 70F and 85F. At all other riding temps and conditions textile is better. I own both mesh and textile and I will get a few days riding out of the mesh during our winter but that is about it except occasionally during the summer I will wear it for riding to work if I'm cleaning the textile. I did just that a few days ago and was quickly reminded how much hotter mesh is than textile. Our temps have been well over 100F and most days over 110F for several weeks, in textile the ride to and from work is warm but comfortable, in mesh by the time I made the trip I was burning up. Mesh just doesn't work in hot WX.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I ordered a pair when they first announced them based on the description. I wanted the pocket on the thigh. When they finally arrived they were not as described. My problems with them were they do not have pockets on the side or trouser pockets they only have the thigh pockets, the wide mesh is good for ventilation but these pants have no liner so you see straight through them and they do not have a tab on the cuff to tighten them up. I want belt loops so it thins the herd real quick. I have a pair of Olympia Air and First Gear Mesh Tex.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a pair and like them. You have to temper the mesh with the fact that you are going to be riding behind a big fairing. There is some wind effect, but it is largely negated. Also, don't wear shorts under them. If you put your legs out on road pegs that you might have, your legs will actually get hotter due to the radiator exhaust. It's not so bad with long pants because air will channel up the pants legs.

They are ideal for use between 70 and 85 degrees...

·
Registered
207 Posts

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
You're saying the solid, non-mesh textile material keeps you cooler than the mesh does? Wonder how come that is?

Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. Because once temps go over the low 90sF the net heat transfer is in instead of out from contact with air. You need to block airflow or at least control the flow of air and with mesh that is not possible. If you want to test it out and you have a full face helmet go riding when the temps are in the 100sF and try opening the face shield, then closing the face shield and see which is cooler.

·
Registered
19,382 Posts
Rarely do I wear any pants or underwear and when I do it is usually something exotic

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
I'm thinking about ordering a pair of Joe Rocket Phoenix 3.0 mesh pants. Anyone have any experience with them? Your comments, good, bad or indifferent, would be appreciated.
Greetings!

I just bought a pair of Phoenix 3.0 pants several weeks ago and I have used them in temperatures up to 91 degrees so far.

I wore the long (9" leg) Underarmor briefs under them and it was not possible to see my skivvies or scrawny legs through the mesh. I was very comfortable when moving and a heck of a lot cooler than wearing Cortech riding jeans when stopped.

The knee protector height is adjustable so you can get them to fit in the right place while seated. The only pockets are on the tops of the thighs but that is just fine for me; you can get into them without having to stand up. They have plenty of waist adjustment and velco cuff closures at the bottom. The full zipper legs allow you to get them on and off over your shoes.

I got them in a sliver gray color to help reflect sunlight and this seems to work very well; much better than black, certainly. I wear these pants with a silver gray Cortech Intake jacket and this combination is working well for me.

That's my two cents.

·
Registered
7,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I appreciate everyone's feedback. I think I'll go ahead and order a pair. Since I moved away from Texas, I rarely ride in extremely hot weather anymore. We haven't even turned on the A/C yet this year!! :thumbup: I think the Phoenix pants will do just fine.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Yes that is exactly what I'm saying. Because once temps go over the low 90sF the net heat transfer is in instead of out from contact with air. You need to block airflow or at least control the flow of air and with mesh that is not possible. If you want to test it out and you have a full face helmet go riding when the temps are in the 100sF and try opening the face shield, then closing the face shield and see which is cooler.
Bubba: Do you believe that holds true when using either a cooling vest or LDComfort that has been wet down? I find the mesh provides the airflow necessary for evaporation, and that the system works well in high temps. It sure worked well going through Needles CA last year when the temp was 118!

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Bubba: Do you believe that holds true when using either a cooling vest or LDComfort that has been wet down? I find the mesh provides the airflow necessary for evaporation, and that the system works well in high temps. It sure worked well going through Needles CA last year when the temp was 118!
Yep, holds true even with LDComfort. That is not saying mesh will not work with LDComfort just that textile works better especially once the temps go over the mid 90sF. Mesh is better than textile from about 80F to just under 90F but that is a pretty narrow range of temps and you can negate that mesh advantage over textile by soaking earlier, i.e. start wetting around 85F.

Bet you used a ton of H20 going through Needles :). Been there with both set ups, textile is better, that's not to say I was uncomfortable when in the mesh, just that I was cooler with less work in textile.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Yep, holds true even with LDComfort. That is not saying mesh will not work with LDComfort just that textile works better especially once the temps go over the mid 90sF. Mesh is better than textile from about 80F to just under 90F but that is a pretty narrow range of temps and you can negate that mesh advantage over textile by soaking earlier, i.e. start wetting around 85F.

Bet you used a ton of H20 going through Needles :). Been there with both set ups, textile is better, that's not to say I was uncomfortable when in the mesh, just that I was cooler with less work in textile.
I agree with most of what Bubba states. I have the Olympia airglide and they can be very hot in traffic. The heat radiating off the road can be bad. I've even worn cargo short under the mesh to test. In open country and at average or better speed they feel good to me. Another HUGE key for me is color. My Olympias are silver and my mesh jacket is mostly white. That helps a ton. Black gear is the hottest.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
Bubba and dkwinger: I'm gonna take your word for it. I know Bubba has given the issue a lot of thought and attention. We have only mesh, but our hot weather is more concentrated in the 80-95 range, and less in the 95 and up range, than yours. Since I'm sold on Motorport, and it's so expensive, I don't think I'll be getting any non-mesh gear anytime soon.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Bubba and dkwinger: I'm gonna take your word for it. I know Bubba has given the issue a lot of thought and attention. We have only mesh, but our hot weather is more concentrated in the 80-95 range, and less in the 95 and up range, than yours. Since I'm sold on Motorport, and it's so expensive, I don't think I'll be getting any non-mesh gear anytime soon.
If most of my riding was west of the Sierras that is what I would do. Mesh was made for riding the CA coast, notice where Motorport is based :). BTW, Pat and I are planning on riding up the coast to Oregon mid September, would love to ride a little way with you'll.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I'm a fan of Joe Rocket riding gear - but due to budget restraints, I purchased the FS brand mesh pants off this site for $99. I had to take them to the tailor shop to make them fit correctly, had about 4" taken off the length - cost another $40.
I just returned from a 6 day Blue Ridge Parkway trip and I wore them everyday, I'm now a big fan of mesh riding gear. The temps were in the 65-85 degree range. I took the pants into the shower each night and just rinsed them, they would dry by morning.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts