GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I have decided on our next ride - GL1800 ABS. Choice is between a New '08 and an '06 w/ 8k miles on her. Both Black.

The '06 we have on an extended test ride and all seems good except the fact that the previous owner let the wheels get pitted and the paint (black) almost looks like it has started to oxidize - not pure black on surfaces that get sun. Just dosen't seem like it was lovingly cared for. It does have Highway pegs, Drivers Backrest and passenger arm rests. No price on it yet.

Have an OTD price of 19,654 for the '08 with a trade in of 2000 (that they offered 1700 at first) so I figure the actual OTD 21,354. We are strongly leaning toward the new one.

Any comments welcome

·
Registered
686 Posts
May I suggest giving Ralph a call at Direct Line in Ohio. Got mine there and they beat all the prices I got in our area. They are only 280 miles away. I left here around 9:00 am and returned home before 7:00 pm with alot of smiles. Plus he is alot better to work with then the two places in our area.

What are you riding now?

Teddyb3
aka Dan

·
Registered
118 Posts
Great values can be found in the private market, but I'd be hesitant to buy a pre-owned bike that showed signs of neglect or being stored outside for two reasons. First, as you mentioned, it will harm the paint finish over time, especially if the paint isn't kept clean and waxed. This leads to my second reason. If a bike shows these signs, I would have to consider how many other things were neglected like routine maintenance, etc.

You mentioned that the wheels are pitting. I've read occasional posts on this forum and others about how the Goldwing rims are susceptible to corrosion. I try to clean my wheels every week or two, and it's much easier being that I have a center stand. That being said, I'm glad I purchased the 5 year tire and wheel warranty when I bought mine.

If others in your area know of good deals, use that to your advantage. However, don't worry about how someone 2000 miles away got a better deal. It all boils down to what you want and what you are willing to pay. If you are happy with both, then you got a good deal! :lol:

Best of luck, you'll love your new Wing!

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
Many good used wings out there.

Get the new one. An 06 should look immaculate

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
I bought used but the guy never kept records of his work on the bike. I am slowly doing everything, new brakes, plugs, oil changes, valve work, air filter, change the brake fluid and rad fluid. I am only doing this as again i didnot know what work he had done on it. I now have every bill and reciept that i have spend on maintenance and upgrades. For peace of mind i would go for the new one.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Seems like a lot of doe-ra-me for an "08. JMHO

·
Registered
746 Posts
There has been several items printed about the '06's with transmission problems showing up. Seems to be limited to the 06's.

A used '06 should look immacculate, agreed! If the owner didn't care after what can be seen, did he care about anything else?
Do you think? (JMHO)
Always best to shop around a little more than you planned on, there are some tempty deals out there on both new and used machines.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
There are LOTS of good deals on used ones right now...
GREAT deals ...

Maintenance (or lack of) should not be a huge issue with this bike
... it is the closest thing to a maintenance free vehicle I've ever owned.
Most guys "work" on theirs just because they like to
or to justify their "tool" habit.
:)

An 06 with only 8K miles on it is still "new"
... it CAN NOT possibly be "hurt" for lack of maintenance
.... there is nothing to "maintain" with that low mileage.
So the seat and paint might be faded from being outside.
A lot of guys change the seat anyway.
You can buy an OEM "like new" seat for $150.
The paint might come back with a little elbow grease.
Do some "pin stripping" ... make it "yours".

You didn't say the price of the 06.
Only if the guy is trying to get ALL his money back would it be a bad deal.
I know of an 06 with ABS that just went for about 10,500.
I would have bought it but don't need three 'wings.

I think if one wanted to (or had to?) you could do NOTHING
on this bike except add fuel, change tires and put on one set of brake pads and it would probably still go 100,000 miles.
(I didn't omit changing the oil... I bet you would not HAVE to)
Honda knows this ... that's why the warranty is for "unlimited miles".

how much for the 06?

my two cents,
Dennis

·
Registered
89 Posts
I like to buy new when I can. When I bought the 08 I told my local dealer what I wanted and that I was going to buy he could determine if I bought from him or some where else. He came to within a couple hundred bucks of the best price I could find. It was worth that to buy local and have the dealer that sold it service it.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
JMHO - Leave the 06 out of the mix. Call HDL!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Busy board - lotsa good input - thanks...

I looked at Links for Direct Line - I must be missing sumptin' - Can't see where they sell bikes.

Our current ride (the one we will be trading in) is a Kawasaki 1500 Classic with 72k miles.

Sticker on the '08 is 19,999 - not worth a trip to save $200 (if even that, not knowing the other costs.) Might as well give the local the sale and have them service it as well.

I was thinking the same - chances are that more than appearance was neglected.

Transmission issues - I hate to think of that one.:eek:4:

QUOTE:
I think if one wanted to (or had to?) you could do NOTHING
on this bike except add fuel, change tires and put on one set of brake pads and it would probably still go 100,000 miles.
(I didn't omit changing the oil... I bet you would not HAVE to)
Honda knows this ... that's why the warranty is for "unlimited miles".

NO OIL Change in 100,000? :22yikes: As good as they are that would be insane to try. - Also, warranty on an engine failure would have to be backed up by service records.

The dealer just took it in on trade the same day he let me take it (SAT 4th). He hasn't even had the service department check it out - no price available. They are closed today so I am to return it tomorrow (Tues) Extended test ride - gotta love it!:thumbup:

Thanks again for all the comments - We'll Keep Ya Posted.

·
Premium Member
12,497 Posts
...NO OIL Change in 100,000? :22yikes: As good as they are that would be insane to try
I would never suggest or try to do that
... it is merely an observation that I think it could.

The only point I was trying to make is:
a bike with only 8k miles on it has NO maintenance issues that have been neglected that could hurt the bike...

good luck with your decision
... you can't go wrong either way.

welcome to the madhouse ..
:)
Dennis

1 - 13 of 13 Posts