GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the iway500 require the use of a computer? And is there any info regarding the availability of the 600?
TIA

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
No, the iWay does not require the use of a computer, but if you want to use the music player functions, load custom skin files or upgrade the maps or firmware at a future point in time, you'll need to use one for those functions.

You can also do route planning and track file manipulation using 3rd-party programs if you so desire.

I was told by Lowrance that they were targeting the 600 for mid-November release, but we were also told by Garmin that the Zumo would be available by mid-October :?

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the quick reply Jon. Think I'll wait and check out the 600, and maybe by then I'll know whether Macs new dual system is going to work with Garmin and Lowrance.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
The new Mac duals will work with the iWay (when you start up in 'windows' you do not even know think you're on a Mac, you'll just think you are on a really fast and quiet Dell).

I have the G5 non-dual and us my son's computer to load music and skins.

Take care,

John S.

PS Jon's skins are now my 'standard'. With his new ones about to be de-bugged (wink to Jon) they will probably be nothing but better.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
John in YVR said:
The new Mac duals will work with the iWay (when you start up in 'windows' you do not even know think you're on a Mac, you'll just think you are on a really fast and quiet Dell).
I have the G5 non-dual and us my son's computer to load music and skins.
Take care,
John S.
PS Jon's skins are now my 'standard'. With his new ones about to be de-bugged (wink to Jon) they will probably be nothing but better.
Thanks John! That's what I've been waitng to hear. I also found this tidbit on Lowrance's sight: "Maps can be updated through the internal USB port with Windows® XP/ME/2000, Macintosh OS X, or Linux." I called Lowrance too and asked some questions, the tech said l should be able to download music from iTunes, using a standard OS X Mac. Mebbe santa will bring me a new laptop with the "dually". Course the not so good news from the tech was that he didn't think the 600 would be available til next year!?!!??
Any and all related info related to this thread would be appreciated. I've decided l want a GPS and my decision now is to go with the 600. So, knowing a little less than zilch about GPS systems, l need lots of help.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
The information on the website regarding the Mac is not entirely accurate - the earlier versions of firmware upgrades (which included maps & POI data) did install directly from the internet, and worked on the macs.

The latest NavTeq map & POI update included an installation program that provided the encryption protection for the map data (supposedly required by NavTeq's licensing scheme). This installation program would not run on Mac, it had to be run from a windows-based PC.

If enough people scream at them about this 'deficiency' (I thought Mac users were deficient by definition? ;) ) then maybe they'll make sure the next update is more OS-independent.

BTW, Lowrance originally told me they were trying to get the 600 out before Christmas, so I'm pretty sure all bets are off on the actual delivery dates.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
It must be the Lowrance sales rep was giving me a line of B.S. when he told me the iway 600's would start shipping this week.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts