GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a Zumo 550 from a fellow board member, (great guy!!!). have been trying to figure out where I want to mount it. In doing my research, it looks like the best spot wound be on the dash. Want to save my handlebars for a Butler mug. Does anybody have one of Jon's dash mounts for a 550 they would be interested in selling? Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Here is how I mounted my nuvi 1450.
I used a Ram Handlebar mount that came with a U-bolt.
Bolted it to an aluminum plate with countersunk flathead screws
Put industrial Velcro on the side with the screw heads
Added an arm to the pivot on the Ram mount and put Velcro on it
Put the fuzzy side of the velcro on the left speaker and top of dash
It moves a bit because the fuzzy Velcro has some give, but it is quite secure.
(I didn't want to drill holes in my new bike)
I think I can cut down the size of the plate on the speaker
I like the location because I don't have to lose sight of the road to look at it

Attachments

·
Registered
581 Posts
I had a jons mount . Sold it long ago.

Here is what I am thinking about.

Jons mount was held on by drilling three holes andinserting rubber/brass inserts to hold it..

So why not drill a hole in the top of the dash, put a insert in and then screw in a ram ball.

I recently drilled and tapped a Ram mount in down on my handle bars. That is were the GPS goes for now. But I always liked it up on the dash.

Just and idea

·
Registered
555 Posts
I have a 01 - 05 mount made by Jon. It has the shelf on the left side for a radar detector or whatever. Needs to be cleaned up and has some predrilled holes in it. It will take any Zumo mount. Let me know if you want pictures and I will dig it our and photograph it.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Don't know anything about the quality of this mount - but it does not require drilling the dash or removing the windshield to mount.

http://vpaccessories.com/1800.htm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts