GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
If you are doing it with a fullsize vehicle(car/truck) don't have the engine running.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Unless someone can tell me different, I don't think there is anything magical about the Goldwing.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
My understanding is that with the battery and the alt. charging on the larger vehicle there was to much current and the bikes elec. system is at risk. Maybe an urban legend,if so I stand corrected.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Jumping

In instructions I have seen it is recommended to jump start without the other vehicle running, if possible, if not, then use a running vehicle.

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
If you leave the vehicle running, when you connect it to the bike, the running vehicle's voltage regulator will sense the added load, and increase voltage coming from the alternator to cover the load. This increased voltage can cause enough current to get pushed through your tiny motorcycle battery to damage the plates in it. The higher voltage *could also potentially damage your starter motor if it got high enough (*though it is doubtful it would get that high).

There is no need to have the vehicle running to start a motorcycle. It is always safer to jump with both vehicles off, be it a car or a bike. This protects the electrical systems of both vehicles.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I agree with all of the above...it wouldn't take much from a car battery to start the bike. The car not running is certainly safer.

"Tiny" battery...you ought to see the 6v Triumph's...

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I've jumped mine with no problem when I was stupid enough to leave the key on accessory over night. :cus:

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
With all the new electrical, computer systems in todays vehicles. I always unhook the ground cable on the unit being used to jump with. That way I know for sure there will be no problems either way. It only takes a minute in most cases. I am sure this is not a pre-equisite for this but it just makes me feel better.

Now if I am jumping a Goldwing with a Goldwing I would not get overly concerned. Just make sure you have positive to positive and ground to ground.

W

·
0 Posts
To jump start my 1800, I used two "D" cells from my on-board flash-light battery's once...........just kidding.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
chuckM said:
I agree with all of the above...it wouldn't take much from a car battery to start the bike. The car not running is certainly safer.

"Tiny" battery...you ought to see the 6v Triumph's...
I know guys on the auto drag racing circuit that use motorcycle batteries because they are smaller and lighter. Motorcycle batteries are capable of cranking big block, high compression motors. The difference between the 2 is reserve capacity. Some large car batteries will keep a vehicle running for 90 minutes or longer while a motorcycle battery will only last 15 to 20 minutes.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
If you leave the vehicle running, when you connect it to the bike, the running vehicle's voltage regulator will sense the added load, and increase voltage coming from the alternator to cover the load.
I thought a voltage regulator just kept the running voltage at about 14.6 volts, more or less. Does that mean if I increase the load, like turn on more lights and hook up electric clothes, etc, that I will inrease the voltage out of the regulator? I had always figured the increased power came from added amperage.

J

·
0 Posts
This discussion is complete with old wive's tales. Jump the darn thing and it does not matter if the source vehicle is running or not and don't waste time disconnecting grounds and stuff to make you feel better. This sounds like an oil discussion already.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Jumping a car from a car... people said to keep the donor car running, even raise the RPMs, to put out more power. It's true, if there is enough of a draw from the dead car. I personally like to keep the cables connected for awhile before I try to start the dead car.

For motorcycles?
12 volts is pretty much 12 volts. (13.5 is 13.5; 14.6 is 14.6; etc.) The difference is the amperage flow.

You can leave the donor car running, doesn't hurt anything if you just connect, start and disconnect. The same thing if it's NOT running.

Jumping from a car to a MC is easier, calmer, if the car is not running.

The batteries are not equal in capacity. A really dead MC battery may allow too much current flow from the donor battery (not enough voltage in the "dead" one to resist some of the flow). If the bike turns over but just doesn't start, not a problem.

The problem you get is when you try to jump a 6 volt system with a 12 volt system. People found that you could really get into trouble when you did that. But that was about a 1/2 century ago.

Sometimes people would connect 2 12 volt batteries in series to jump a 12 volt car that just wasn't starting. Many times it worked, sometimes it didn't. Luckily, those people got a little smarter or lazier and stopped doing those things.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Fred H. said:
If you leave the vehicle running, when you connect it to the bike, the running vehicle's voltage regulator will sense the added load, and increase voltage coming from the alternator to cover the load. This increased voltage can cause enough current to get pushed through your tiny motorcycle battery to damage the plates in it. The higher voltage *could also potentially damage your starter motor if it got high enough (*though it is doubtful it would get that high).
I don't understand your reasoning. And besides, it can't provide more voltage... current yes, voltage, no. Why would the running battery supply more current? It will only supply enough current to cover the load, i.e., lights and starter. Since the motorcycle battery can provide much more current than that, IMO, it won't "hurt" the smaller battery in the least.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts