GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings to All My Alaska Goldwingers,

Myself and my riding buddy, Marcus Walton, are leaving the Atlanta area and heading to Key West, Florida in preparation of our 1 Jun, 2018 start of the IBA Ultimate Coast to Coast ride. We'll be arriving in Fairbanks on 11 June. What I need to know is if there is a General Post Office in Fairbanks that I might be able to use to send empty gas cans ahead for the last leg of our journey. This will be my second trip as I made the GWRRA J Rally in Anchorage in the summer of 2012 and it was great. Looking forward to this one even more.

Thanks,

Gean Taylor

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
Greetings to All My Alaska Goldwingers,

Myself and my riding buddy, Marcus Walton, are leaving the Atlanta area and heading to Key West, Florida in preparation of our 1 Jun, 2018 start of the IBA Ultimate Coast to Coast ride. We'll be arriving in Fairbanks on 11 June. What I need to know is if there is a General Post Office in Fairbanks that I might be able to use to send empty gas cans ahead for the last leg of our journey. This will be my second trip as I made the GWRRA J Rally in Anchorage in the summer of 2012 and it was great. Looking forward to this one even more.

Thanks,

Gean Taylor
http://www.postallocations.com/ak/fairbanks/fairbanks-downtown-station GOOGLE IS YOUR FRIEND

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Realistically, why not just purchase the gas cans at a hardware store when you get there. Why pay for the shipping cost? The hardware stores up there need the money too and at most you'd be looking at buying maybe one extra can for both bikes. Fairbanks is a city as you know and all the different national hardware suppliers will be well represented (Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Ace Hardware, Wal Mart, etc.).

Allen

·
Registered
639 Posts
Ya there are post offices in Fairbanks but the shipping is going to be more than the price of new ones at Walmart or Fred Meyer locations in
Fairbanks. There are normally gas cans stacked up near the gas pump in Coldfoot the ADV Rider types leave them after they return from Deadhorse.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Will you be on your Wing or GS ??

·
Registered
679 Posts
And, gas cans are something that EVERYONE that drives in Alaska has and thus the stores stock them.

One of my major beefs with cars is the teensy little gas tanks they put in them. When I bought a new Suburban years ago, I got the extended range tank on it, over 100 liters!

·
Registered
5,591 Posts
Yes, all hardware stores have those gas cans, like others said, why waste postage money, sending an empty can in mail....
My wife and I tour'd Alaska a few years ago, via Motorcycle and had a wonderful time... We never had any problems, getting fuel, or food, during our week there touring.. BUT then again we never really never went too deep into the wilderness, either... So I guess it does depend on where you plan on touring..I'll let the Alaskian boys answer your question, I'm sure they know much more then I, cause I'm just a city boy from Massachusetts.

Ronnie

Reactions: Road Runner

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Most likely the Wing. This time, it's personal.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Buy The Cans

As others have recommended, buy the cans locally (in Fairbanks). Your route north from Fairbanks will take you just a block or two from Walmart, Lowes, and Home Depot, where the cans will cost less than the postage to get them there.

You'll only need the extra gas between Coldfoot and Deadhorse, so 2 1/2 gallons should be plenty for each bike. Generally, I recommend enough fuel for 300 miles of riding. Remember, you'll be riding slower on the Dalton so your gas mileage will go up. With that range, if you top out at Ice Cut (Mile 325) and weather turns you back, you can return to Coldfoot without having to walk most of the way. Despite your relatively late start to Alaska, there is always a chance that Atigun Pass could be temporarily closed. Not likely, but this is Alaska, after all. Back in '81 trucks were having to chain up to get over the pass on July 8th.

My technique is to fill up at Hilltop Tesoro at Mile 5 on the Elliott Hwy just outside Fairbanks. If I am traveling with riders whose bikes have less range than mine, we'll stop again at Yukon Crossing to top off. Then fill up at Coldfoot, the universal gas stop. It's 250 miles from those pumps to the gas pumps in Deadhorse, so that's where you would fill up your spare gas cans.

That time of year the sun won't set north of Coldfoot, so you'll have plenty of light for riding as long as you care to. South of the Brooks Range the sun will hide behind the mountains for a few hours, but there are no mountains north of the range.

Shot at 5:40 AM AKDT (3:40 AM by the sun) around Mile 204, north of Coldfoot

Midnight at Deadhorse, looking east from the gas pumps at Colville, Inc.

Facing south a little past midnight, about 30 miles south of Deadhorse -

Because of the great early morning lighting, I frequently ride all night in order to get some photos of the landscapes up there, like this one taken at 2:45 AM AKDT -

With decent weather, you should have a great ride. Even if the weather is less than perfect, I've always enjoyed the trip to the top.

Have fun!

·
Registered
20,944 Posts
We rode to Dead Horse in 2016, despite the rumors of plenty of gas cans at Coldfoot there were none there not even the gas station had any when we asked, but there was a empty 1 gallon container in the trash barrel next to the pump so we used that, I never needed extra gas but my buddy did. It was 30 degrees and raining when we rode over Gunnison pass, we were both spinning and barely made it to the top. The next day it snowed 6 inches so we shipped our bikes back to Fairbanks and had to buy plane tickets to fly out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts