GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Occasionally while riding my 2013 Audio-Comfort I would hear a loud clunk when running over a sharp bump or discontinuity in the road. It was clearly a hollow plastic sound, but it was not clear where in was coming from. Often it would occur as the front tire went over he bump, sometimes when the rear went over. The wife said she could not feel it coming through the back rest even when it clearly sounded like it was in the trunk.
I put some felt buffer pads on some of the from shelter parts, no help, did the same with the trunk lid and installed one those extra frame thingies, none of that helped. Finally today while riding around the neighborhood at slow speeds and lots of bumps, i could feel it coming from the trunk, by holding my hand on the trunk.

I pulled carpet out, pulled the cover off the radio, it was secure, but when I reached down under the radio unit I found I could easily slide the CB unit around and it would lift up.
Pulled the radio box and found the CB box was just laying in the pocket below the radio. The double sided tape on the bottom had never been peeled back to stick it to the floor of the pocket.

I had some 1/2" soft foam left over from another project, so rather than sticking the CB to the floor of the trunk pocket, I decided to trap the CB under the radio using the foam. As soon as I have a chance to test ride it I will be able to confirm I found the source of the noise, but I am very confident I have found it and cured it.

If anyone else has a similar phantom noise , look for junk in the trunk.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Occasionally while riding my 2013 Audio-Comfort I would hear a loud clunk when running over a sharp bump or discontinuity in the road. It was clearly a hollow plastic sound, but it was not clear where in was coming from. Often it would occur as the front tire went over he bump, sometimes when the rear went over. The wife said she could not feel it coming through the back rest even when it clearly sounded like it was in the trunk.
I put some felt buffer pads on some of the from shelter parts, no help, did the same with the trunk lid and installed one those extra frame thingies, none of that helped. Finally today while riding around the neighborhood at slow speeds and lots of bumps, i could feel it coming from the trunk, by holding my hand on the trunk.

I pulled carpet out, pulled the cover off the radio, it was secure, but when I reached down under the radio unit I found I could easily slide the CB unit around and it would lift up.
Pulled the radio box and found the CB box was just laying in the pocket below the radio. The double sided tape on the bottom had never been peeled back to stick it to the floor of the pocket.

I had some 1/2" soft foam left over from another project, so rather than sticking the CB to the floor of the trunk pocket, I decided to trap the CB under the radio using the foam. As soon as I have a chance to test ride it I will be able to confirm I found the source of the noise, but I am very confident I have found it and cured it.

Who installed the CB? Not you I hope. :whistle:

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not me, it was installed by the previous owner, but I am not sure if he did it himself or had a dealer do it. I can understand not wanting to stick it to the floor of the trunk, that could make it very difficult to remove. There was some foam in there between the units, either it was not enough to start with, or was compressed over time, but it was not doing anything for quite some time.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I used the sticky backing velcro to stick my CB and Bluetooth adapter down in the VD Player hole. Stays where I want it and removes when I want it!

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019, 2020 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
564 Posts
I pulled carpet out, pulled the cover off the radio... (EDIT) ... trunk pocket
Thanks for mentioning this only b/c I had completely forgotten that trunk hole was even there! A little extra valuable storage for small stuff. Quoting Homer S..."Doh!"

·
Registered
4,890 Posts

Check the 2 compartments on either side under the passenger elbows. If you have anything inside that is not wrapped up in a cloth it will sound like that. I always keep a spare oil filter in mine wrapped in a small towel.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Check the 2 compartments on either side under the passenger elbows. If you have anything inside that is not wrapped up in a cloth it will sound like that. I always keep a spare oil filter in mine wrapped in a small towel.
Nothing in my passenger cubbies, rode it today hit a couple of bumps that previously would have solicited the hollow sounding thump, and I heard nothing, hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Unfortunately all of my trunk noise came standard from the factory. The only way to keep it quiet is to install a passenger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts