GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was called for jury duty back in June. I showed up and asked for an extension because I had a vacation planned in a few days, they gave me a 90 day extension and told me just to show up one day, so today was the day I decided to show up. , 22 ,miles over to the court house sat there from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m when they told us we are not needed anymore. So I took the long way home. 150 miles and 4 hours later I pulled in my driveway. Life's good!!!

·
Registered
674 Posts
I got called up for Jury duty once and sat on the jury.

It was my HONOR to serve my fellow citizens.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I have to go August 19th for state court. I have been called twice for federal court jury duty, but both times was excused when I sent in the screening forms.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've gotten the card in the mail a couple of times but was excused via the recorded message every time.

I did get selected for jury duty in south florida once. Thing was I wasn't living in the state anymore and didn't get the notice till a couple weeks after I was due to show up for jury duty. THat was a fun little bit to sort out.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I was selected for a jury on a civil case and sat there listening for five days. At the end of the fifth day, they settled and told us, sorry about that, go home.

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Living in an urban area, I get called every year. Of course, no one wants an educated white male on a jury in this town; they don't want anyone who is not likely to be confused by the facts. So sit sit there all day doing nothing.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Rider Steve:
When the lawyers start to question, ask "If he ain't guilty, what's he doin here"? You may have to spend some quality time with the judge to get a lesson on our fine judicial system, but after that little vordire, you will probably get to go home....It worked once for me.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Just mention you believe in capital punishment . . . . no defense lawyer will want you around!

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,162 Posts

Same Here.
I get disgusted with people that whine about doing jury duty. Many people have given their lives, and still are, so we can be tried before a jury. Its one of the best things about being an AMERICAN!

·
Registered
280 Posts

Same here. I actually like seeing the court system work.:shock: Whether it is working well that day or not.

Now for some of those out there, I'm gonna stir the pot. When my duty is complete,I turn in the piddly check they pay me with to my employer. I am then paid my full wages for the jury duty time served. It's one of my union benefits. ( I did not choose to be union, it's a closed shop.) To make it cycle related: I used those wages to buy my Goldwing!
:popcorn::popcorn: Firesuit on!:twisted:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I served on two juries this year. The first was a felony DUI and ended with a hung jury. The second was two counts of attempted deliberate homicide, the guy shot both his wife and nanny with a .45 colt. The nanny was shot 3 times and will be crippled the rest of her life. He got two 100 year sentences.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Got called to Fed grand jury a few years ago. It was supposed run six months but turned into 12 months then 24 then 30....one day, often two days a week. The judge took NO excuses for any reason. Don't show up and a Federal Marshal will give you a ride + you'll get done jail time for contempt. :bow:

Nine months out of the year it was OK, I got to put 200 miles a day on the wing or spend the night in a nice hotel, the rest of the year it would rain so I took the cage.

The case was interesting but in the end we voted but never heard the final vote or if the party's were indicted. :shrug:

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I trash the jury duty notices I get, I wouldn't get picked anyway.

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
I've been subpeonaed for jury duty 4 times in the last 17 years. I know I won't be selected, but I show up anyway, as the subpeona is in fact a court enforceable order.

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I've been subpoenaed to appear, the defense lawyers don't like cops, so I always get tossed.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I've been subpoenaed to appear, the defense lawyers don't like cops, so I always get tossed.
Yes Sir:

That is the general idea. No cops. Cops frown on crime, DUI, and the things of society that take it down .

Sure do not want any cops to convict some Drunk Driver.

The modern jury selection is a joke.

Any person who is a cop, manager, self employed, driving instructor, or highly educated, or just has a steady direct eye contact with the lawyers is told.......out of here , we do not want you.

They select those who are easily led, they do not want thinkers.

Then if you ever do get selected by some mistake, and end up on a jury and some guy has raped some 14 year old girl. Some woman or several of them will break out in tears, and cry......I do not want to send anyone to jail for 15 years. Give them another chance, let them go, or this or that.
The people on a modern jury are very, very liberal.

The bad guys are the cops, the system, the laws that dare to try to keep order. They are all ready to forgive, forget, allow, and not a single one of them will take responsibility for standing up and saying enough is enough, instead of telling a drunk driver or something else , you are going to jail, they want to allow.

That is what the lawyers who select the jury look for, those who will allow.

It is a joke.

The one I was on the defendant admitted on the stand his crime. The state had a signed written confession in his own hand writing also. But two of the women on the jury wanted to let him go.

I told them, bring your lunch tomorrow, I am going to take a nap , while you all cry and talk about this, but I am not changing my mind. I am comfortable with my decision and will not agree to yours.

Finally the guy got the 15 years.

But not many will take a stand. Most will fold. Just to get it over with.

Kit

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
Excellent post Kit.

We had a case here a few years ago......guy had been involved in a street fight...there were 8 or so folks duking it out when the Police arrived.

During the break up of the fight, one of the participants jumped on an Officers back, and started punching him in the head, neck, etc etc . He was summarily subdued, and brought to jail for battery on a LEO.

He takes it to a jury trial. Despite the fact that his attack on the Officer had actually been recorded on an in-car video camera, the jury found him not guilty.

They couldn't believe that he actually intended to strike an Officer, and fell for his defense attorney's claim that he actually thought he was attacking one of the other original fight participants.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Excellent post Kit.

We had a case here a few years ago......guy had been involved in a street fight...there were 8 or so folks duking it out when the Police arrived.

During the break up of the fight, one of the participants jumped on an Officers back, and started punching him in the head, neck, etc etc . He was summarily subdued, and brought to jail for battery on a LEO.

He takes it to a jury trial. Despite the fact that his attack on the Officer had actually been recorded on an in-car video camera, the jury found him not guilty.

They couldn't believe that he actually intended to strike an Officer, and fell for his defense attorney's claim that he actually thought he was attacking one of the other original fight participants.
Must have been his glasses.

Jury please consider the fact that the defendant has less than perfect eyesight.

Is it possible that the defendant having had his glasses knocked off in the struggle could have mistaken the officer for one of the other participants in the scuffle. Well what say you, is is possible??

That is how they do and how they work.

The fact that fighting in the street is against the law is not even a consideration, they arrange it so the original subject becomes forgotten, and feed everyone mushrooms.

So due to bad eyesight, I think those cops should have to wear bright yellow uniforms.

Yea that would do it. Damm cops, it is their fault.

Our society is in a mess, that is all I know. No one is responsible for their actions, and everything is ok.

Poor eyesight is an inherited trait, and the defendant should not be punished for that.

And the defendant is color blind too, they should have had on white uniforms ...........yep time the lawyer is done, they are all convinced.

That is why they want those who do not think, those they can lead.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
both ways?

Kit,

I'm really astounded by your position on this. I can usually count on you for common sense, but please explain to this simple mind, how all of your previous posts about the "bad cops" and the lieing and false charges can square with your attitude that once in court, they must be telling the truth? The courts are the only place that that kind of thing can be corrected. I have been summoned for jury duty several times and have yet to be selected. Next time I'm going to try that vacant look thing and see if that works.

Richard

1 - 20 of 44 Posts