GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a Horny day!

Today I went for my first real ride since January first – the Extreme Riders New Years Day ride. At the Braintree Union Street rotary I was in the left lane following a car both of our right blinkers on to exit right, car coming in from right off ramp slows to let us through – and then – this young dumb girl from behind blows by me on the right cuts me off, the person coming in on the right, and the car in front of me. She received a significant horn blast.

Still a good morning.... but now more fully awake than what the 38 degree temperature had done...

Continuing on this lovely morning through the Blue Hills. Came up to a stop sign at a Y, practicing a real good stop and go (no feet down), in the left side of the Y, looked way back right to see the blind side on my right, this guy beeps and goes past me as if I were sitting still.. Well I almost was, I’d just pulled out into the road... He never slowed let alone came to a stop. He received a little horn blast. Funny thing, he had to stop for the next stop sign up the road... Well he almost stopped – more rolled through.

Beautiful evening ride home... Two cars ran two different red lights – not just yellow/red - traffic had started through the intersections. Getting off at the same Union Street rotary in the left lane going left around the rotary a black SUV pulls straight out in front of me from a right rotary. Had I been going just a little faster, been not “awake” I would have had a new front fender ornament. He received my HIGH BEAMS AND A BLAST FROM THE HORNS. Of course all drivers know the rotary vehicle has the right of way....

Am I invisible? Six 55 watt white bulbs during the daytime, four at night plus all the trunk lights... Don’t think so. Cagers are just tooooo busy doing anything and everything but driving.

Why do I ride – it just makes me feel alive – hopefully the cagers will let all of us stay that way. Let’s educate before we are forced to incarcerate! Ride aggressively defensively.

Wendell Davis
Touring Magazine
Producer Director

·
Registered
824 Posts
Damn it Wendell, that's what you get for having gun control :evil:

Down here, we just shoot em!! The finger that is, cause they have the cell blocking their ear or the audio turned up so loud they woun't hear the horn anyway! :wink:

·
Registered
469 Posts
invisible

Naw you aint invisible, but it's helps ta ride like you are, expect all drivers ta do th wrong thing, & adjust for it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Besides dealing with people with really poor driving skills, you're also contending with a public that hasn't seen motorcycles (or very many at least) in a few months. Its the old problem of them just not seeing you. Drive careful up there folks, people just aren't used to seeing bikes and will look right through you.

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Had one vehicle just decide to cut across three lanes of traffic at 75 mph. Needless to say, at this angle of lane change and glancing in the side mirror, he nearly pushed me off of the parkway. Was down on both brakes, and riding the shoulder lane line. He noticed in the periphial vision I was there and swung back to the center lane. I expected some young punk driving, turned out to be an OLD GOAT with white hair, and at least 80 years old. Or from wyoming, I know how the cold wind can wrinkle people out there before their time.

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sounds like you are driving in Florida.
Here the silver hairs make every day a challange. Year around.
Cut off, every day. Red light means only 3 more cars can go through.
Be alert or be dead.
TR

·
Registered
451 Posts
Idiots

The main problem is that we are living in the "It's all about me" era. No one has time to slow down, they have to be somewhere right now or sooner. Driving skills have eroded faster than a speeding bullet. You had better drive like your life depends on it because it DOES.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We all know the point.

Wouldn't you just love to put some of these people on the back of your bike and let them see - feel - what we feel?

My wife has become a much more aware driver since riding with me.

Y'all ride safe now hea!

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I usually pick a car, and stay with it. It is my blocker.
I pretend it is a football game, and I don't want touched.
I prefer thick traffic over none. I feel like I will get hit
by cross traffic when I am a loner. I live in a retirement
community, but I don't get too many close calls. Drive
defensive all the time is what we bikers must do.

·
Registered
264 Posts
MesquiteBob said:
Besides dealing with people with really poor driving skills, you're also contending with a public that hasn't seen motorcycles (or very many at least) in a few months. Its the old problem of them just not seeing you. Drive careful up there folks, people just aren't used to seeing bikes and will look right through you.
I agree Bob, that is the "biggest" part of it. The majority of people in the northern tier of states, at least, forget that motorcycles exist, and every spring we have to re-educate them. We have numerous riders here at my place of employment, and as a public service, we're running a display ad in the local paper to remind people that riding season is here again. (well, maybe it will be here again, if this da*# snow would ever quit)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts