GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With summer and the hot weather coming on I've been seeing an unusually large number of truck tire recaps on the highways. :eek:4: Twice in the past couple of weeks on I-49 between Lafayette and Alexandria I've gone over an overpass and found a recap laying on the downhill side of the overpass in my lane. I usually try and stop and remove the trash from the road if not in heavy traffic and I can stop safely. This section of highway allows the trucks to drive at 75mph and that may be adding to more than what seems normal failure of the recaps. There are a lot of truck running in and out of the job site where I work and I'm really surprised at the attitude of some of the truck drivers who run the recaps. I'm always looking at their tires and pointing out a tire if it looks like it might fail. A lot of them won't take time to get them fixed until they fail.

Keep your eyes on the road and have a safe ride especially on I-49. :biker:

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
This is the number one reason we stopped riding after dark

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I took a few days off and rode to AR. On the trip up I went up Hwy 167 to Hwy 65 and stayed in Harrison. There was not a lot of tire trash on the road up. On the way home I rode down AR Hwy 7 to Hwy 27 and stayed in Hope (note:they are working on I-30 and you can hit a 10 mile traffic jam at times in both directions). I took the old Hwy 67 out of Hope to Fulton to miss the construction and headed to Shreveport on I-30 to 549 to 71 to I-49. They have opened up a section of I-49 north of Shreveport and the speed is 75mph. There is only about 16 miles of two lane left between I-49 and I-549. There is already a lot of tire trash on that new section of I-49. I didn't notice that much tire trash on I-30 or I-40. You see the same thing on I-49 south out of Shreveport to Alexandria. I see where other states limit truck to 65 mph. The speed must be a factor. I have seen other states where they have crews riding the hwys to pickup the trash. They do send out crews before they cut the grass on I-49 but the cuttings are weeks apart. I know some hwys in Texas have speeds of 85mph but I have not been on those in the heat of the summer in awhile. There is a lot more traffic on the roads now than what was traveling in 2008 after the housing market crash even with $3.50 + fuel. I see a stream of traffic at 5 to 5:30 am when I usually get on I-49 to go to work.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
Also it's a good idea to get by these big trucks as quickly as possible when passing. The less time you can spend riding next to or behind one of them the better off you'll be. Many years ago in Texas when I still had my first GL1500, I was passing an 18-wheeler when a tire on it decided to come apart right next to me. Luckily I was not hit by any of the flying tire carcass, but it scared the bejeebers out of me and that experience has stayed with me.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Recaps should be outlawed. I hit a chunk of recap when my '02 wing was a week old. It cracked the lower cowl and scared the crap out of me...

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I've seen it all now. I only have 13 miles of Interstate that I drive on to get into work. This morning while heading into work at 5AM I started down the on ramp only to find a blown recap in several pieces in the middle of the on ramp. They also had a dead raccoon in the debris field. It made me wonder if the tire had taken him out. I usually look over my shoulder to check for on coming traffic because I don't trust just the mirrors. I'm glad I took the truck to work today :eek:4:.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
this is a guess but im gonna say that recaps are not the problem!!

the problem is most drivers don't check air pressures,when it gets hot things go boom,lol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was thinking while driving home this afternoon that I would like to have a GoPro just to video all the debris in just 13 miles of interstate hwy. In my area there are a lot of trucks hauling sand & gravel along with trucks hauling wood for the plywood and OSB mills on state roads where they log more miles at lower speeds and you just don't see the problem there.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
this is a guess but im gonna say that recaps are not the problem!!

the problem is most drivers don't check air pressures,when it gets hot things go boom,lol
Since you drive a truck, I guess you'd know. Do new tires explode and leave the gators we all see on the road or is that just from re-caps?

·
Registered
260 Posts
I've notice quit a few around here also. Two weeks ago I was leading six of us to Houma and thought I was passing one and it turned out to be a live four foot alligator in the center of the lane. I got by it and it snapped at the next bike by. Needless to say, everyone behind me was dodging a spinning gator in the road.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Since you drive a truck, I guess you'd know. Do new tires explode and leave the gators we all see on the road or is that just from re-caps?
happens to both if pressure gets to low but my guess it happens more to recaps for sure

1 - 13 of 13 Posts