GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got about 5500 miles on my '18 GWT. At a redlight today I noticed that when I let out on the clutch, about the time it started to engage the rpms increased a bit. Took my hand completely off the throttle to eliminate perhaps a natural reflex and tried it several more times and the movement on the tach was quite noticeable. No biggie but just an observation.

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,579 Posts
Got about 5500 miles on my '18 GWT. At a redlight today I noticed that when I let out on the clutch, about the time it started to engage the rpms increased a bit. Took my hand completely off the throttle to eliminate perhaps a natural reflex and tried it several more times and the movement on the tach was quite noticeable. No biggie but just an observation.
I haven't noticed that with my bike, but then again I'm twisting the throttle as I let out the clutch.

·
Registered
498 Posts
My '13 does that. I imagine that they kept that function. I think it is to help avoid stalling?

·
Registered
301 Posts
My '13 does that. I imagine that they kept that function. I think it is to help avoid stalling?
That might have been the Honda "fix" for the dreaded spark advance lag infamous in the GL1500 series. Some 1500 owners installed a 3 degree timing advance "trigger wheel" to overcome standing start hesitation.

Never had one for my 98SE but some owners I chatted with were satisfied with the result.

A few years back I was chatting with my Honda dealership owner discussing Valk/GL1800 and he said the Valk was the only model of the Gl1800's that didn't have a slight hesitation from a standing start. I'd thought Honda had cured that with the 1800 series but apparently not completely.

It's sure not in evidence in my copper queen DCT0:)

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Clutch? What is a clutch?

;-)

prs
I vaguely remember back in the olden days there was some type of contraption on the left handlebar that you had to pull. It has been so long since I had to use one.

Reactions: INTHEWIND

·
Registered
16,984 Posts
I vaguely remember back in the olden days there was some type of contraption on the left handlebar that you had to pull. It has been so long since I had to use one.

Oh! Sort of like that spark advance thing we used to have to fiddle with.

prs

·
Premium Member
31,972 Posts
That's the way it was designed and yes it's for no stalling .

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
It would be fun to have an ignition timing device hooked up to watch the timing advance as the idle control valve opens up upon clutch engagement. I’d bet it’s similar to engine mapping done in the cars.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts