GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While riding this past weekend, wife and I saw a plane towing a glider in SW Michigan. Minutes later the plane crashed and the pilot died from his injuries. We did not witness the crash but it is sad to think about..On a happier note we saw a white wing towing a large trailer with a Harley on it! He was going south on 69 in Indiana. We also passed a Semi truck on I69 that had a blown tire on the rear axle of the tractor. He was going about 50 with his flashers on, rubber flying everywhere and people were swerving all over the road trying to avoid the "shrapnel". I wonder if he knew he was endangering peoples (wife and I) lives? We also saw a buffalo that had somehow escaped from a nearby farm and was about 100 feet from the road. I thought about stopping then thought better of it. Wife and I were riding home from a nearby home depot this week when we saw a Land Rover pulling a very small trailer with 10 sheets of drywall hanging out of it. The trailer was about 4 feet square with what looked like 8" tires.The right rear was rubbing on the trailer, smoking and squealing. I decided not to pass this fool and a few hundred yards later the tire burst, the trailer jerked to the left and about half the drywall came sliding out at 35mph! It was fun to watch. ( I have got to get a video camera) I work in Dearborn Michigan and I saw a Lady riding a dark blue wing on Rotunda Drive. It was the first time I have seen a Woman riding a Wing. I have rode about 700 miles this week and as usual, it has been interesting and fun. Did I mention that I dragged the right foot peg on my Kumho, K&N, Rotella T stock suspension Goldwing at 65 mph entering I94 a couple mornings ago? All this fun and NO dyna beads!! Good Morning folks!:coffee1:

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
A great morning to you too, :thumbup: What brand of coffee do you drink ? :coffee1:

·
UBposting IBchatting
1,018 Posts
Greetings from the other side of the Mitten, and what a great thread! I've had days like that... and weeks... and years.
Sounds like you lead a charmed life, since you avoided all those mishaps. :thumbup:

·
Registered
19,376 Posts
consider yourself lucky
buy a lottery ticket:yes1:

·
Registered
8,570 Posts
Wow, an exciting Ride it was.
Gr area isn't nearly that excitin'. Just folks shootin' one another,... You'd think we were in Detroit! :wrong:
Glad you survived.
thecruiser

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think just riding down Southfield Expressway and merging onto I-96 going towards downtown has all the excitement a person needs?
I loved getting up early in the morning and dad and I would ride Hines drive before anyone would get up and have breakfast out in Canton, Ford Rd and Southfield was home for me back then. but that was a long time ago, Ford Rotunda was still there and We used to go downtown to the Festivals on Friday Night.

Have a great day

·
Registered
503 Posts
Wow, by comparison, life is boring to the north. Our major problem is figuring out ahead of time which secondary roads got the "chip and seal" treatment the day before!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sometimes I miss Michigan but now I consider myself a southerner after spending over 25 years in the south. And I don't miss the UP winters. I grew up in Northville but spent 3 1/2 years in Marquette. The winter there was extreme compared to Detroit.
The things I miss:
-As a teenager...finishing my paper route at 5:30 AM and sneaking my brothers Yamaha from the garage for a quick ride down Hines Drive.:thumbup:
-The night a rode my bicycle to Hines Park (Beer Hill) because I heard about a drug bust. There were 2 or 3 County buses filling up. I was probably about 14 at the time. As a youngster, I was excited to have the chance to witness a major bust.
-SPRING!

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Just got back from another mini vacation (week) up there in Michigan. Had a great time. Added the Chrysler Museum to our list of accomplishments up there. Also traveled the whole length of 23 along Lake Huron. Glad you had a great time. You have a large state to enjoy.:bow:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
OOOOOOOOOh, Gilligan :lol:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A great morning to you too, :thumbup: What brand of coffee do you drink ? :coffee1:
I buy Bigby's coffee, french roast. Good stuff!
And Texas? We saw a heard of camels in Texas on a 110 degree day on our old GL1100, and a midget with a sidearm that nearly dragged the floor..Might have been the heat..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts