GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rode around central and northern Arkansas this past Sunday through Wednesday, and had a throughly good time.
-There was less "chip and seal" on the roads than in the past, but I haven't been this early in the year for a long time; road crews will probably "correct" that as the temps. rise;
-Road surfaces were mostly in good shape even after a tough winter;
-As I rode into Eureka Springs on Hwy. 62 I noticed what looks like a brand new biker's only motel, but couldn't tell if it was open yet;
-Arkansas remains a beautiful state and place to ride, but I was sad and amazed at the extent of the tree damage from January's ice storm. I covered an area bounded by Moutain View, Batesville, Salem, Bull Shoals, Eureaka Springs, Ozone, and back to Mountain View; rode 1500 miles and was never out of the affected area. I learned in the the little store in Witt's Spring that many rural residents were without power from late January to late February. The power crews that came in from surrounding states were truly heroes to those hardy folks.
-There are sections of Hwy. 9 where chain saw crews had to open the road;
-I've never seen so many new power line poles in my life;
-I've been riding Arkansas for years, but still came away with two new favorite roads, and rode all of my previous favorites with the single exception of the Pig Trail. Hard to beat trips like that.
-Saw two herds of deer, a flock of turkeys with a Tom strutting, a young buck, and an elk.
-Was sad to see that the Country Store at Hwys. 16 & 7 has closed and is for sale after many, many years of stopping there;
-And before you ask, never clicked the shutter......

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
What were the "2 new favorite roads"?

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hwy. 123 between Lurton and Mount Judea - for some reason I had never ridden this section of 123 before, and was delighted to find switchbacks similar to those on Berthoud Pass in Colorado!
This is the more technical of the two "new" ones I found. Major tree damage from the ice storm in places on this road.

Hwy. 254 west from Hwy. 65. - probably not new to anyone but me. :?
I like Hwy. 16 west out of Clinton so much that I had never ridden 254 which is just north of 16; it was a pleasant surprise.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Glad you enjoyed our roads! Hwy 123 is one of our best kept secrets. Everyone that comes here wants to ride Hwy 7. I always try and tell them if you want to get to the really great roads you have to get off Hwy 7.

We were in that same area the week after the ice storm and your right it is a mess. We were in the SUV and had to dodge trees in the road on Hwy 27.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i have ridden the entire length of 123 and maybe saw 5 cars total, from clarksville to highway 65 near harrison

the ice storm did even more damage south of fayetteville, into the devils den park area, the news had live footage of the cars on I-540, it looked like a pinball game

highway 16 is nice all the way to oklahoma, the part thats west of I-540 runs through the ozark national forest

·
Registered
168 Posts
Did a similar ride two weeks ago on my way to Branson from Houston to visit the folks. It's gonna take years to get the trees cleared from that storm. About the power thing...I remember when Ike hit down here and how we cheered the caravans of line trucks as they rolled into town. I'm gonna have to check out your new favorites next time I go up!

:popcorn:

Hwy. 123 between Lurton and Mount Judea - for some reason I had never ridden this section of 123 before, and was delighted to find switchbacks similar to those on Berthoud Pass in Colorado!
This is the more technical of the two "new" ones I found. Major tree damage from the ice storm in places on this road.

Hwy. 254 west from Hwy. 65. - probably not new to anyone but me. :?
I like Hwy. 16 west out of Clinton so much that I had never ridden 254 which is just north of 16; it was a pleasant surprise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts