GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm an engineer and a mechanic. I've owned and ridden motorcycles all my life. I have a 1999 yamaha roadstar 1600. I've done lots of mods to it and I can do just about anything mechanical or electrical.

so, at 53 yrs old, for some reason i became petrified of oil slicks, gravel, etc. I've gone down a few times and it aint fun !!!

yesterday I bought a 2007 goldwing trike with 20,000 miles on it and a motortrike solid axle kit.

here's some questions:

1) what are the best web sites to buy accessories ? i'd really like a catalog to look at.

2) i really dont know a whole lot about these trikes, or even this era of goldwings. I pick up the bike in a week. I'm gonna spend some time figuring out where al the buttons and switches are and what they do. I dont even know what "options" these bikes come with from the factory ! for instance, does my bike have a CB Radio ??? it has controls for a CB radio on the left handlebar, and a button for a CB on the tank panel. I've seen trikes with twin antennas, the one on the left being for a CB radio, but unfortunately, mine doesn't have a CB radio antenna, so I'm assuming that it does not have a CB radio. I would like to eventually add one. i looked on ebay and they are like $700+. holy crap. is there a way to wire in a standard cb radio to the controls?

so, that's a start, and I'm sure I'll have a bunch more questions.

Cheers

Attachments

·
Registered
137 Posts
Congrats, that is a real sharp trike that should give you a couple of hundred thousand miles of fun. A CB is not standard however the weather band and AM-FM with passenger intercom is. If you watch on here and shop hard on Ebay you can probably cut the cost of a used CB down to about $400. They are pretty tough, I have installed a couple of units out of early 2000 bikes with no problems. It is not advisable to try and install a non Honda unit as they are all plug and play and totally a part of the audio system. Good luck and have fun there is really no end to what you may want to do to and add to your new ride.

·
Registered
972 Posts
As you said, if you only have one antenna you probably don't have a cb. If there is one it is in a compartment underneath the compartment in the trunk. :wink2: If that makes sense.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Your Trike has the controls - buttons for a CB. You will need the CB radio and in line filters. If you don't like the 2 antenna look, as I do.. Sierra Electronics has a great duel antenna, so no holes have to be drilled in the trunk for a second antenna.
Yes the Honda CB is expensive. But other brands have been available and gone away. One was GL2Way. A buddy of mine got that one to save a few bucks. Now it's failed and he had little recourse other than buying the Honda radio. He bought the SENA wireless system which is great for him and others who have that, but he still can't talk to any of us who have CB's and the standard wired system unless he gets yet another CB radio and an adapter. $$$$$$

As far as accessories, check with the sponsor venders here. Items can be found on Ebay but I have had quality and proper application issues there. Also look right here in the For Sale section. Good stuff pop's up from time to time.

Corventure Dave

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Welcome.

Go to Wingstuff online for accessories. Partzilla online or a dealer for parts.

We used our CB a lot when we rode with friends for the first five years we had the Goldwing. But after they quit riding with us, I don't think I have turned the CB on.

We use the intercom a lot and if your bike doesn't have it, I strongly suggest you get a product called Mic-mutes. It allows you or your passenger to mute/unmute the mikes so you can ride with the intercom on and not listen to wind noise.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
I have a 2007 trike also. My favorite place is Cyclemax out of Ohio. If you see it on their site they have it in stock and it usually ships same day. Im in the midwest so if I order today I usually will have it Saturday. I get tired of vendors that advertise by then you find out its drop shipped from a distributor. Thats why I use Cyclemax,theyre really nice people to deal with.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts