GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and searched, but couldn't find a discussion on this topic.

I've had 10 bikes in the last 16 years, and have had many opinions on this topic, but they all seem to differ.

My questions are specifically for this bike. I see in the manual it doesn't call for the oil to be changed until 4k.

Has it been confirmed by any reliable source that there is in fact a break-in oil?

Has anyone had their bike consume too much oil or otherwise damage the engine by switching to synthetic early?

The BMW owners (I used to have a K1200LT) seemed to think that because the inside of their engines was nickel-plated, triple heated magnesium kryptonite, they could do anything they wanted to as far as oil, and nothing would hurt it.

Thoughts? Shall I let it go to 4k, or change early?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
You'll get lots of opinions (including mine), so just do what you think is right. Despite what they say, I like to change the first oil between 500 and 1000 miles. I use dino for the first change, then went to synthetic at the 4000 mile change.

·
Chard Member
13,063 Posts
Welcome!

Use whatever oil that makes you comfortable. Never heard of a Wing using oil.

FYI... The '06 calls for first oil change at 1 month or 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
I got mine in March. The dealer told me there was no break-in oil in bike and it didn't need to be changed until 4K miles. I changed it anyway at about 700 miles and went to Amsoil. Changed again at 5k miles, again with Amsoil. Never used a drop and runs like a champ.

I also changed the rear drive oil at 5K miles.

Bartman

·
Registered
268 Posts
I usually change to synthetic oil when I buy the bikes. I'm on my 6th goldwing now. Also own 4 other bikes. I have never had a problem with changing too soon. Mobil 1, nothing else. My corvette came with Mobile 1 in it from the factory. Take care George

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Welcome to the wonderful world of wings.

As long as the oil meets the service requirements set forth by the manufacturer you are good to go.

FWIW I changed oil at 400 miles (old habits are hard to break) to a dino (non synthetic) type and then around 4k to synthetic.

·
Registered
8,318 Posts
My opinion: Follow the manufacturer guidelines.

First change: 1 month/4,000 miles
After that, every 8,000 miles (or when putting away for winter storage).

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Texan said:
I usually change to synthetic oil when I buy the bikes. I'm on my 6th goldwing now. Also own 4 other bikes. I have never had a problem with changing too soon. Mobil 1, nothing else. My corvette came with Mobile 1 in it from the factory. Take care George

Which Mobil 1 product do you use in your Wing. Is it bike specific?

·
Registered
66 Posts
First oil change was at 1200 miles, at which time I installed Rotella T (Blue Jug) 5w40 Synthetic from Walmart. Also available at Farm Supply Dealers.

Then took a 2000 mile round trip. 6500 miles now on the bike and oil is still at the level it was changed.

I try to change the oil and filter every 6000 miles unless on a trip, in which case I will let it go to 8000 miles.

Also, Walmart Super Tech Oil filter ST6607 with each oil change.

So far, so good.

·
Registered
977 Posts
You have probably noticed a pattern. I changed mine @ 600 miles , then right befor 5000 miles. and then every 5000 after that. I change the final drive fluid every 10,000 miles or every other oil change. Amsoil is great but any quality oil will work.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
I changed mine the first time at 700, and the second at 3100. Used Honda GN4 so far, but looking into Mobil 1 possibly. Will change on a 3-4k interval, and use Honda filters more than likely.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
I changed mine at 800 miles and did the Final Drive, both with Amsoil.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Oh yea....did the final drive at 3100 also with Mobil 1 synthetic 75-90 or whatever # it is. I'll be changing that probably every other oil change or so. We'll see what the oil looks like when I take it out the first time?

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
steve s said:
Texan said:

Which Mobil 1 product do you use in your Wing. Is it bike specific?

I also use Mobil-1 in my 02. I use the Gold cap 15/50 rated at 15K miles between changes. I now have around 14K on it and up for a change. Leaving next week for a 1500 mile trip, and will change it when we get back if I get the time. If not just keep ridding till I do get time. I figure that if Corvette, and Mercedes, Lexus (Toyota) have it in their units from the get go it will be good enough for a Honda. If the Manufacture recommends 8K or 10K for oil change WHY do it at 3K??? That is OLD OLD OLD SCHOOL.

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
Only difference between a Car and a Bike might be a wet clutch and the Engine and Transmission sharing the same oil sump.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Been in manufacturing for some time now. Ran machines and even supervised for a time. I'm pretty familiar with manufacturing wash tanks and the resultant cleanliness of parts. Hot oil is a very good cleaning agent in a new engine.

My first change was at 600 miles, the next at 4,000 and now every 8,000.

Having said that, I don't think it make a hill of beans difference if your first change is at 4,000. All the crud the oil picks up either gets filtered or suspended and does no harm after that.

·
Registered
559 Posts
First, Welcome to the board!

You will get lots of opinions on oil. Use the search feature above, and you can find enough information on your wing to build the next one yourself.

You can get Amsoil from Bulldog at a great discount. A++ guy to deal with.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I purchased an 86 GW once and it had 16K on the clock. I took it to have the oil changed and new brake pads put on and good thing I did. The oil filter had almost gotten to the point of collapse. If it had let go try and imagine what would have happened to the engine. The oil may go 12K-14K but the oil filter sure won't.

Something to think about. Even amsoil reccomends changing the filter twice with one oil change.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
This'll set'm off!

1st chnge at 4210 miles.

New filter....New crush washer....

1 qt of old 10W40 Mobile I "Pre-moly".....topped off with Honda semi-syn.

No problems and faster than any other on this board!

Bradford

1 - 20 of 27 Posts