GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The dealer told me to bring the bike back in for a 600 mile check. After reading through the owners manual it states the initial check is at 4000 miles. I'm kinda lost here on when to take it back in. Traded in my VTX for this Goldwing and the wife and I love it.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Congrats, now the fun and smiles begin.

Many dealers want to do a 600 mile serveice. Probably not necessary, but you may want to change the oil and filter for your own peace of mind. I had the dealer do it because they also had to install heated grips they did not have in stock when I bought the bike, but I thought the dealer price for the service was too high. (I am also a cheap SOB)

Personally I would do the oil and filter change myself at 600, but only because it would make me feel good.

Rock on.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
You will get lots of opinions on this.

Is it necessary...no it is not.

However....I chose to bring my Wing back to my dealer for the 600 mile oil change and check. I am fortunate to have a very good dealer....they changed oil and filter, drive oil and went over the entire machine to ensure everything was all OK....a 600 mile shake down if you will. If I recall it was $60 or so to do this.

Again...was it necessary...probably not....but it made me feel a lot better and confident that all was well with my new over $20,000 motorcycle. The $60 is cheap and a good value for me.

Others will probably disagree...that is OK....I do what is best for me and spend my money as I see fit.

Do what makes you feel best....either way all will be well

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input

I do want to do what is neccesary for sure. I know on the VTX I took it in for the 600 mile check and it was a 380 dollar service for,oil,filter and a valve check. I suppose what I don't want to do is get ripped off.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Congrats on the new Wing, just try and wipe that smile off your face :lol: :lol: . There is NO 600 mile service on the Wing, if you are concerned about the oil, change it before for first 4000 miles. The Gl 1800 service intervals are closer to that of a car than most bikes. But you are looking at a water cooled flat 6 engine not a air cooled v twin or inline 4. Do check all of your fluid levels to make sure they are properly topped off (coolant, oil, rear gear oil, front & rear brakes and clutch). There have been a few reports in the past of low coolant and rear gear oil from the dealer. Oil changes and normal service are easy owner projects. Buy the Honda Service manual (paper or CD) and Fred Harmon's service DVDs and you will be all set.

2006 Honda Service Manual (CD)
http://www.hondadirectlineusa.com/stores/product.asp?pid=6013&str=4&ID=750770807

Fred Harmon's service DVD set
http://www.angelridevideos.com
Angel Ride Enterprises (LLC)
GL1800 Maintenance DVD video (14 Disc set)
order line: (800) 974-1555 ext 10
or 903-455-2555

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
I had my oil and filter changed at 1,000 miles and feel better now.

Next oil change 5,000 miles. Just because I want too. Final drive oil is good for at least 24,000 miles before change.

From now on, I will do all my own service work short of something major like a valve check or adjustment.

You can do it too!

·
Registered
589 Posts
Actually the owners manual says''4K or 1 Month''. For me it worked out to 3400 miles I think when the 1 month rolled around. Do what makes you feel good I don't think it is a issue one way or the other. Our GL1800 have a few problems but engine failure is not one of them. I do think the 1 month is worthy to follow. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Congrats!!!! And many happy miles!!!
Now you can change you handle from Preconnect to Connect, cause now you are really connected... :wink:
Enjoy!!!! :yes: :yes: :yes:

·
Registered
634 Posts
Two wheel, . . . or four. . .

I ignore the "scheduled" stuff.

Mercedes dealers taught me that and they taught me well.

I've saved a good deal of money and time.

Mr. Preconnect, congratulations on your new ride!!!

Enjoy the trip!!! :D

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
wingman57 said:
I had my oil and filter changed at 1,000 miles and feel better now.

Next oil change 5,000 miles. Just because I want too. Final drive oil is good for at least 24,000 miles before change.

From now on, I will do all my own service work short of something major like a valve check or adjustment.

You can do it too!
JMHO but I would not go24000 miles before rear oil change !!! Mine looked like CRAP at 6000miles...chuck...every 24000 after that would be OK there is ONLY 4 ounces in there

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Do it, then if you do have a problem at least the dealer can be held resposible and cover any issues.

Patrick

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
Mine has 29,000 miles been back to the dealer 1 time for frame reweld dont plan on taking it back for anything.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks

Thanks to all who gave me some insight on this. Gotta say I just love this ride. After all the miles I've ridden on the cruisers,I can't believe the comfort and handling that I was missing.

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Just get you four quarts of oil and a filter and change the oil. Write it down properly inthe owners manual for future reference and ride!

If you get the oil from the Honda dealer (which I would suggest) you should keep all receipts for proof of proper maintenance for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I for one will definitely take my Wing in for 600 mi service/check back to the dealer. They are giving me a freebie. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts