GL1800Riders Forums banner

Just curios about others who have had a broken wrist....

2K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  glarson3 
#1 ·
Some of you know that I fell off the Wing six and a half weeks ago and broke two bones in my wrist. I have been in a cast since. My cast is slated to come off Tuesday and I was wondering if it will be good to go or will it be sore and weak and need some physical therapy to get it useful again. Wings Over Smokies is coming up and I am wondering if I will be able to ride by then. Any of you have any related experiences you can share with me?

#2 ·
Which bones did you break? I can almost guarantee it will most certainly be sore and weak! I broke mine a couple years back and had to have a screw installed 2 different times, I don't recall the exact name of my bone, I think it was the scapula (sp?) but I know it's the worst one to break! It was horribly painful, very stiff and has taken a year to feel right! I rode fairly shortly after but it was a painful ride but I was riding a Honda 919, not a Wing! Good luck with your healing! Also a factor, how old are you and do you smoke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Broke a bone in my left wrist several years ago on my '99SE. Didn't have it casted or anything (probably should have). As it turns out, I was happy it was my left wrist instead of the right one. It would work OK, but it took a long time for the pain to diminish. If I broke my right wrist today, I would definitely do some things to strengthen / condition / brace it before doing any serious riding. YMMV.

#4 ·
Broke mine last October while dirt biking, clipped a tree with my handlebars.

It's all healed up now after two surgeries.

My fingers are stiff along with the area where my hand pivots at the end of the two arm bones.

The doctor said the stiffness will go away in about another year.

I don't have the range of motion as before my crash, now it's about 85%.

You might want to look into a wrist brace.

It's really hasn't stopped me from doing anything, I just favor my left wrist a little more when I have to do something that requires strength.

#5 ·
Broke the Scaphoid bone in my left wrist in April...6 weeks before it showed up on x-rays, 1 month with a splint, another month with a cast, new x-rays, results inconclusive, ordered a CT, awaiting results, so back to a splint while waiting...possibly surgery...O Goody...:eek:4:...

#6 ·
It's been a long time ago. It was 1980 I broke both wrists the same wreck. It never presented a problem after a short time to recuperate after removing the casts. Broke my leg in 76 and that was big, took months to recover. Broke my ankle in 76, no big deal there. Had a couple toes dislocated in 76, never have completely recovered from that. Collar bone in 78 was no big deal. So on the broken bone scale a wrist is not all that bad, could be worse.

#8 ·
Scaphoid, that's the one I was looking for! That little sucker is bad news!! Radius I don't think is too bad? The scaphoid only gets blood from one point and if the fracture is severe enough the other side can die off from lack of circulation! That is why they lean towards putting a screw in it to promote a quicker healing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
Ask your doctor when he removes the cast. There are probably some basic exercise techniques you can use aided by something in your hand to squeeze and release to strengthen the muscles in your wrist and arm.

#11 ·
Broke my left wrist in a Goldwing accident in 2009. Six weeks in a cast and 12 weeks in physical therapy (3 times a week). After the cast removal, the wrist was sore but not really painful. The biggest problem was extremely limited range of motion and weakness closing the hand. PT helped work through all of that...

#12 ·
I broke mine 2 years ago in a Gold Wing accident and after 2 surgeries and 6 months of PT it still only has about 50% range of motion and hurts all the time. My PT started with trying to squeeze open a clothes pin. Hopefully you're young enough and the break isn't severe enough to put you in that condition. Count on being weak and stiff though when you first get out of the cast. Get you a grip exerciser at a sporting goods store and use that for awhile.

#14 ·
Chicky,

Stay encouraged. I broke the bones in my wrist, forearm, and crushed the bones in my right hand in 1993 in an auto accident. The doc told me that I'd have the wrist of a 60 yr old man with severe arthritis by age 20 and 18 yrs later my right wrist is better than my left. I loss 15% range of motion but I'm blessed and God allowed my wrist to heal great. I'm 35 yrs old now and dont have arthritis or any problems with it whatsoever. :thumbup:

#16 ·
You'll be weak and sore. :nojoke:

Last year I needed surgery to repair my left wrist. I was in a splint for a week, then had surgery, and had it immobilized for another week, then started physical therapy. It took me several weeks before I could move the wrist much, and it was difficult to even hold a coke in my hand. I think your Dr. will be able to give you a better prognosis, but I'll bet you won't be able to hold the clutch, or brake(depending on which wrist) for several weeks. Physical therapy can be painful, but it's well worth the time and effort. As part of your therapy you can go sit on the bike and make vroom vroom noises and practice pulling the clutch/brake. Take it easy at first. You might feel fine for a while, then be hundreds of miles from home and find that your wrist 'no-workie'. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Almost a year later I still have occasional pain, but riding the bike helps me forget about it.

#19 ·
I sit on the bike and pull the clutch in and out all the time trying to get ahead of PT. That works fine but when I slip the arm out of the cast (ooops) I notice that the wrist is weak and sore and stiff.
It doesn't sound like you needed surgery, which will likely help a lot with the speed of your recovery.

one of those exercise squeeze-balls will help build some strength in your grip, and you can get some of the stretch bands that they will likely have you use for physical therapy at your local sporting goods store. I'm sure your physical therapist will have all kinds of exercises you will have to do, but most of the things needed for what they have you do can be bought cheaply at your local SG store so that you can continue your therapy at home and between visits. If you can squeeze the clutch, I'm guessing you should be pretty good to ride as long as your Dr. gives you the go-ahead. I am not a Dr. and did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night either.

Best of luck for a quick and complete recovery!
http://nwmedicalsolutions.com/cat_resistance.cfm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.