GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We left the 16th and just got home this afternoon, we have something to do here or we would have stayed another day. Put on just over 2800 miles, we stayed in Estes Park 2 nights, because of the snow and wind we weren't allowed to ride over the top on Trail Ridge Road on Friday, on Sat we went down7 and 72 to I76, then west of Frisco to 91/24 to 50 went through Gunnison and down to Lake City and stayed there. From Lake City we went down through Durango and stayed in the Mesa Verde park, it had been cold every morning but it was really cold Monday morning in the park, can I say thank you Gerbings? We then went to Durango rode the train up and bus back on Tues. Wed morning it was up 550 we left about 7 am it was 34 degrees when we went through Silverton. Stopped in Ouray for coffee and hot chocolate, then on to Montrose and east to Hwy 92 and the north side of the Black Canyon then up to Glenwood Springs and over to Dillon for the night. Thurs we left Dillon road I76 over to the Peak to Peak rode back up to Estes Park wanted to go through the Park west to east but we needed to get back home and didn't want to chance a hold up going over the top again. Left Estes Park and rode to Hasting Ne, didn't tell the wife it was a 534 mi day until this morning. We were able to cross back into Ia on Hwy 30 again at Missouri Valley the road was still open but they have added a short dike at one point on the road over water would be on the road when we went out on the 16th we didn't think we would be able to cross back on 30. We had a great time even though every morning it was in the low 40's found some nice places to stay and eat, Mesa Verde is a very interesting place, the train ride was great, we rode in an open air car and sat on the right side, not too much smoke. Took alot of pic's will try to post some. The bike ran great although someone put his left foot down to steady the bike and then could figure out why it wouldn't shift into neutral:oops: I only kept fuel mileage for 2014 miles but I got 44.4 mpg for that a high of 52 and a low of 39

·
Registered
684 Posts
The wife & I are leaving for Colorado the last week in July.
We are going to ride the 550 loop, Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride, then on down to Santa Fe NM.

We have been on the loop before, but its been 24 years ago.

Glad you had a good trip.

I can still remember stopping for long handled underwear out there, 24 years ago....
very cold up in the mountains!

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts