GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been riding an '05 ST1300 for few years and the wife has been asking for the throne, so I made the plung. Found a mint '03 with 7800 miles and a bunch of farkles and now I'm psyched to ride. To bad there's snow on the groun in MA / NH. The guy I bought it from drove it up from North New Jersy (200 miles) @ 35 degress, no problem.

Looking forward to becoming a contributing member.

Thanks

JC

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Congratulations, JC, on your new ride and welcome to the forum. Our riding time's coming soon.

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
I'm certain you'll get as much pleasure in the comming times and rides as we have with our recently purchased '02 w/4800K on it. They're incredibly nice machines and are fun to be on. Welcome.
Scott

·
Registered
547 Posts
... '03 with 7800 miles and a bunch of farkles ...
I have a neighbor that recently sold a '03 VTX1800 with 7300 miles but I didn't think anyone let a Goldwing gather that much dust!

Congradulations!!! Enjoy your "new" ride!

·
Registered
858 Posts
You live in MA/NH? I lived a couple of years in Hampton, NH. I was bikeless back then...bet there's some great Wing-riding going on when it warms up. I am thinking about making a trip up there and find out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
:congrats:
Welcome to the madness!

·
Registered
584 Posts
W E L C O M E !! :congrats:

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
:thumbup::congrats::biker::biker:

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
I'd get your VIN checked at your local dealer. All 03's were to be rewelded at the crossmember due to a poor factory process back then. With the little mileage on your new bike, the owner may have never followed through with it.

I repeat - ALL 2003'S

·
Registered
822 Posts
Welcome

I just got an 03 48000 miles on her .sweet bike

I had to go 801 miles One way too get her .But she is worth it .

·
Registered
92 Posts
New 03

Great to see you aboard. That will be a great bike, now you know the year so it is time to do a little maintenance, if the previous owner has not done these things. Brake fluid needs replaced and be sure to follow the directions, it is a different order on 1800s in the bleeding. Coolant is due also. There is a lot of discussion on the fork oil, I have not done mine so will leave that to others to suggest.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Hey, welcome aboard, John! You have but taken the first step on a long and expensive journey, Grasshopper!

What color? What farkles?

What part of Mass / NH? Near me?

If you're in my area, MotoMarket in Acton is a neat place to go on Thursday nights during riding season. (riding season is ice off my hill...) and Kimballs in Westford has a great cruise night, same time. Free if you ride there..

Dave
GWBBA #9

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,793 Posts
I'd get your VIN checked at your local dealer. All 03's were to be rewelded at the crossmember due to a poor factory process back then. With the little mileage on your new bike, the owner may have never followed through with it.

I repeat - ALL 2003'S
Yep, all 2003 models are to have the lower crossmember welds rewelded regardless of any inspection.

I read alot of posts from owners who's dealers have said that a 2003 model was alright because it passed the lower crossmember weld inspection...but those dealers are misinformed. The 01, 02 and early 04 models were to be inspected and rewelded if needed...but all 2003 models are to have the lower crossmember rewelded regardless.

·
Registered
608 Posts
:congrats: Enjoy the new ride.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts