GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The UPS man brought my new Garmin 2610 today. I'm afraid my learning curve with it will have to start in my Tahoe as it's snowing here as I write this. I wondered if anyone had any particular tips or suggestions about using one for the first time they might care to share.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Hello Gary Congrats on your new Garmin It seem overwhelming at first but they are pretty easy to use and a wonderful addition to a gold wing. All i can say is read your directions you will get the hang of it. Good Luck Tony Chicago :blw1:

·
Registered
837 Posts
Yep. Read your owners manuel. It has all the info you need.
Don't feel bad about having to use it in your Tahoe. Actually that's the best thing to do. You'll find that your watching your gps a lot. Be careful and don't forget to look at the road now and then. Better to have 4 wheel's under you during this stage than 2.

Have fun and be careful with it the first few times out. You'll get the hang of it.
If you come up with questions, someone here will have the answer, or will be able to point you in the right direction.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You'll love the 2610. As for tips, there have been dozens of posts on the 2610 over the past few months. Each one has some good information (mounting options, power options, 'GPS sets', etc.). I would suggest doing a search of the board for "2610" - grab a snack - and start reading! If you have any particular questions, there are several us a few months ahead in 2610 experience that would be happy to help.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
152 Posts
2610 vs. SPIII

For those of you that have the new 2610, is it really worth the difference. I'm considering both of them and leaning toward the SPIII due to the use of 4 AA batteries.
Eddie

·
Registered
146 Posts
Eddie - Of course opinions will differ, but I do think it's worth it. The touchscreen is very easy to use, searching/inputing is much faster, the GPS calculates faster, memory is much cheaper/bigger, screen has better visibility in various lighting, whole unit is smaller/lighter, etc. The unit comes with an AC adapter for home/hotel use (I always pack mine, as I like to plot routes at night!) and I have not missed a battery feature at all. The BMW version of the 2610 has a battery pack as an option (there was a post about this awhile back) and it is possible that option would work with non-BMW 2610's.

However, anything is better than getting lost :? and either GPS would add a great deal of relaxation and enjoyment to your next trip!

·
Registered
4,863 Posts
Gary - you'll love your new Garmin. I've had a SPIII about 14 months now and wouldn't be without one and all the good information and help it provides me both in my SUV and also on my Wing. It saved me about 2 hours yesterday just on a trip to a few places that I would never have found with an address or a paper map.

I'd definitely read your owners manual right now and get familiar with all the features and functions, then go use it for a while, but everyday. Don't keep it in a box, use it both in your vehicle and also on your wing each ride. These GPS units are very mobile and portable, but it does help to have the wiring connections and mounts for each vehicle and not have to move them each time too.

After a couple of weeks you'll have a better comfort level, but revisit your manual and read it again. You'll be amazed how much "new" information you gain on this new read that you didn't realize or see and understand before. Do this periodically too, since we seldom utilize 100% of all the features of these amazing units.

Good luck,

DaleC

·
Registered
115 Posts
Gary in Indiana said:
The UPS man brought my new Garmin 2610 today ..... I wondered if anyone had any particular tips or suggestions about using one for the first time they might care to share.
One quick tip: When looking for an address, input the street name, without any S, N, DR, Blvd, etc. After you press OK, it will give you a selection of all strees with that name in the area you have chosen, select the one you want with a finger press, and then select either the "show map" or the "go to" button.

It's so quick and easy, that I often use mine for local driving in my cage. These things spoil you REAL fast! :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts