GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it doesn't seem to be much more than on the previous model. I was surprised by how quickly it went from touching the pegs to touching the protector cover, to actually hitting the protector. Ride and learn. Hopefully, I will continue to successfully navigate the learning curve. Now where did I put that order form???

·
Registered
702 Posts
Reactions: jfink

·
Registered
368 Posts
At the very least get a knee out in your turn, this will give you added clearance. You do not want to be touching that tip over bar, that is the easiest way I can think of to low side your GW.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Well, this discourages me from installing any highway pegs that would protrude any further than the guards!

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
903 Posts
ironically, my first thought was maybe he needs to slow down a bit in the corners? :grin2:
heretic! Burn him!

:d

·
Registered
702 Posts
At the very least get a knee out in your turn, this will give you added clearance. You do not want to be touching that tip over bar, that is the easiest way I can think of to low side your GW.

--

Right! Much better if you drag your knee first. This helps protect the bike from damage. :laugh:

--

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
903 Posts
--

Right! Much better if you drag your knee first. This helps protect the bike from damage. :laugh:

--
Hey, bodies heal... Stuff, you have to PAY for!

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When I ride with others, which was the case here, I get a chance to judge the lean angle and just how far I can go. Unfortunately, I was following a very smooth rider on a KTM SuperDuke and the turn looked easily negotiable. Not being that familiar with the new Wing, following without completely anticipating the turn, on a road that isn't really known for its twistiness, resulted in a momentary touch. When I'm being really aggressive, I will lean my head and body over the handlebar, shift my butt and get the knee out. But, in this case, my eyes deceived my reflexes.

And honestly, it wasn't all that scary, because it was one small turn and I was on and off the guard so quickly. It was more of a surprise than a concern. I followed him through the more twisty road without a touch, this one just happened.

It did give me a chance though to learn more about the Wing and what I can (and can't) do with it. Next time I follow him though, I will be on my SuperDuke.

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks like those Rivco pegs he has don't touch at all. Probably the only highway pegs with full ground clearance.
No, they didn't. And I was concerned about that, but it looks like the only thing that touched was the tip over protector. Even the back protector wasn't touched. So now I know ...

·
Registered
51 Posts
the cornering clearance increases a little bit changing the suspension mode from one person to two. that lifts the bike some milimeters. you can feel how the bike goes up and down changing the suspension modes while you sit on the bike having the feet on the floor.
greez
joebarteam

·
Registered
581 Posts
Anybody tried that with the ciro/goldstrike ones?
I've scraped mine on the right side being aggressive in a right hand curve though I think the road was a bit off camber. Surprised me as I didn't think I was that far over.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts