GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, you guys finally got to me!! After having 3 nails in the past 2 years, I just installed a Kumho Ecsta Run Flat (195/55/16) and took it for a test spin. Just rode around the neighborhood, a few curves and a u-turn. Pretty much what I expected. Just requires more input to get started into a turn, but once you get it into the turn it's pretty easy to hold it. I was a little shaky in the u-turn, just because it was my first with this tire, but same thing, more input to begin, but not bad once you get into the turn. I'll be doing some highway tomorrow.

BTW, I installed this tire myself. The first bead goes on pretty easily. The second took me 3 tries. The bead kept popping up over the rim as I got 3/4 way around. I finally started over and sprayed the crap out of the bottom bead to allow it to slide more easily to the center and presto, I got it on. Definitely a real stiff sidewall to get over the rim, but very doable. I've been doing my own tires for about 5 years now and as usual it boils down more to technique than power!!

OK, the big question... I would like some input from some of you experienced darksiders on tire pressure. I've got it at 34 psi now and yes, I'll experiment, but would still like some input.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
I put 32 psi in my Kumho run flat here in Michigan and on a hot, sunny day the pressure will be 39 psi is a very short time. Maybe some AZ guys that have a TPMS will chime in.

I have used 32 psi in our cages for years and get even wear.

:thumbup:

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Congrats on the new tire and congrats on mounting it yourself! I have a RF and am running 32 in it, not Kumho though.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
:congrats:Gary and if ever through Wi.look me up for some Darkside cookies. 32 lbs is where the 2 of mine wore even at.:thumbup:

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
:congrats: and welcome to the Darkside Gary!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input. Having been just mounted, I'll be checking the pressure every morning for the next few days, just to be sure I am not losing air. I'll take it down to 32 lbs. I usually find that when I mount a new tire it may lose a little air the first week or so until those beads seat themselves really good.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
:congrats: and Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
33-34 works for me. 32 seemed like the tire was rolling up in cornes, but was fine in a straight line. It is wearing slightly faster in the center, but I'm on the positive side of mileage vs a MC tire.

It is all about the riders seat of the pants to me. I could give a rip less if the tire wears evenly, I already have what I want. Better mileage, better handling (yes handling for me seems better, but YMMV), better grip, better ride, and the RF is just a bonus.

Best Wishes

·
Registered
8,095 Posts
I also run 32 PSI in my Kumho, seems to wear good, and I get good bite on the road.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked the tire this AM, no air loss so I brought it down to 32 psi. Did some highway, a few twisties etc. 32 seems like a good number. Thanks again for all the input!!

·
Registered
679 Posts
I mounted a Kumho a couple weeks ago after running a couple dunnie's the past couple years and started out at 28 psi and am now at 30 psi.

I'll bump it up a notch to 32 from the information in this thread.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
11,183 Posts
I mounted a Kumho a couple weeks ago after running a couple dunnie's the past couple years and started out at 28 psi and am now at 30 psi.

I'll bump it up a notch to 32 from the information in this thread.

Thanks all!
Congrats on the Kumho Eric. I think you'll like it. It performs quite well.

·
Registered
879 Posts
Welcome to the DARK SIDE:22yikes:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts