GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed the shield early this morning. Went with stock height so I could look over it. A big help was watching Fred's video last night. Made install about a 45 minute job, and I'm a numskull at most things like this.

Anyhow, got to take a short ride this evening after dark, and I like how it feels so far. Weather is calm, but I noticed a lot less buffeting than with the 4" over factory shield I replaced. The factory shield at speed would beat me up pretty good. I plan to get it out on the interstate and see how it is behind and around some truck traffic.

Also might add that I got the tinted one, and after dark I could not tell any difference with the clear one. That had concerned me somewhat.

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
I got my OEM Tulsa about 2 weeks ago. I got the +4 and my wife can see a great improvement in the buffeting from the stock shield. Without her on the bike I drop it all the way down and just got back from a 1800 mile trip and noticed a better ride with less wind and noise.

·
Registered
3,678 Posts
Got mine Yesterday...can't wait...its the +2 Smoke tint with vent... :D

·
Registered
195 Posts
gwlrhfarm said:
Got mine Yesterday...can't wait...its the +2 Smoke tint with vent... :D
I just ordered the same one. I have been wondering if I shouldnt have got the +4 instead but I didn't. I hope they work out good. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Just called yesterday to find out where my Tulsa is! Seems many of you ordered the new shield which has caused a delay in mine being delievered. Tulsa has just started getting the Sept orders complete I waited until the last minute be another week or so. Next time I will know better. Enjoy your new shields !!!! :D

·
Registered
4,179 Posts
They just delivered the one my wife won. It's OEM height and I had them put the vent in. I'm going to tackle installing it soon after a few trips to the Fred Harmon Theater.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BigBird05, after watching Fred's video it was a snap. Actually Tulsa's instructions are very good, but watching Fred you don't have to take the mirrors off, nor another thingy across the front of the windshield. I told you I was challenged on some things like this, but i would say 30-45 minutes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I got mine yesterday evening. The UPS guy met me at the house. Said he was not going to bring it because the box was damaged. He and I pulled it out of the box and it was fine. I ordered the +2 but I can’t see the extra 2 inches. Laying next to the stock shield it only looked like about ¾ of inch bigger.

I installed it this morning and the wife and I took it out for a 130 mile ride. It helps to watch Fred's Video before installing. Pay close attention to the part about the rag to block the hole. Lucky for me I took his advice and I stuffed a rag in there because I dropped the rubber grommet twice.

It was a nice day but kind of windy. The wife said that she definitely had less wind kicking her head around and there was less wind noise on the intercom. The wife said it was a good purchase.

It might have been my eyes but I could swear that the shield was flexing in at the center point of the top edge. I have the shield adjusted so that it is about even with tip of my nose so I can look over the top comfortably. If I looked at he edge of the shield it looked like it was bending in but it could have been the light on the edge.

I pushed on the shield and it felt solid and did not move any where like the stock shield did. All and all it did a great job since the wife is happy and it is her bike I guess I am happy too. But I still can’t see the extra 2 inches.

Joe

·
Registered
115 Posts
Well I have had mine on for about 3 weeks. I keep it low enough so i get wind but the wind is just that clean air. If i want I guess I coudl raise it up and look through it as the optics are excellent.

·
Registered
165 Posts
New Tulsa adjustable windshield

I recently received my adjustable tinted Tulsa +4. I did not get the bug shredder as I do not like it. Recently, I went on a weekend trip to the eastern mountains of WV. As I left Elkins, WV about an hour before darkness traveling East on Route 33, I encountered severe fog. I am tall, so with my Tulsa +4, I am able to see over the top of it about 1-2 inches when it is adjusted all the way down. I also have a new Diamond seat which sits me about 1 inch higher on the bike due to the denser padding material. The fog was extremely heavy, completely covering my windshield, but since I look over it instead of thru it, it was not an issue. This topic has been discussed many times on this forum, that is, "looking thru" or "looking over." This experience reinforced my preference of "looking over" the windshield. Buffeting is also reduced over OEM which helps with the mike noise. Very good windshield.......................................

·
Registered
64 Posts
I have the -2 and the oem Ilike the oem best . I like looking over the sheild. Install was very easy about 45 minutes

2006 titanium

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Tulsa sent my standard OEM, tinted with vent, to me last month. Took about 40 minutes to install (first time event for me). Improved performance (less buffeting for the passenger) and optics are perfect. However, I did notice that the vent assembly rattled in the vent cutout. I called Allen and he said to bring it by his display at Biketoberfest. Saturday morning I was his first customer at the Sunshine Park Mall. He replaced the entire windshield and vent for free and did the job in under 10 minutes. Great guy - Great service.
He did give me some advice that I'd like to pass on to those who do their own wrenching: It's a Goldwing - so don't use any Loctite (Blue or Red) on the fasteners. Save that stuff for the other brand.

·
Registered
184 Posts
How did you all figure out how big you wanted the shield? I am 6' 3" tall, 32" inseam. Wear a full face all the time. My problem is buffeting at high way speeds - physical buffeting.

With the stocker all the way up, I can see over it if I sit up nice and tall on my Wallyworld beads or the cold weather sheepskin pad. But it does zip, sero, nada to reduc ethe pounding on my head. Well, maybe buys me 5 mph or so before it gets unbearable. Looking over seems to make sense around here at least as an option because we do get fog and mist that could impair looking through and my bike doesn't become a garage pumpkin in the winter.

Tulsa (regular), Cee Bailey and this new Tulsa seem to be my options at this point - just not sure how to decide on the right height. TIA...

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I'm 5'9" and am able to see about two inches over the standard Tulsa OEM in it's lowest position. My inseam is 29" so my torso is longer allowing me to see well over the top edge. What's really important is the passenger getting less buffeting. My wife, as passenger is 5'6'' and the wind doesn't shake her up when the shield in the lowest position at 75mph. The Tulsa design (wider with a different contour) beats the Honda OEM for wind-shielding comfort.

·
Registered
270 Posts
H m m . . .

Would it be possible for someone to post pictures. I am interested in a front and rear shot as well as a couple from the left and right sides.

Many Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
ANybody have pictures of their Tulsa OEM's in the photo albums or otherwise available? The pics on the Tulsa site aren't the greatest and I'm interested in seeing what the shield look slike installed.

Any further updates on performance?

Thanks...

·
Registered
847 Posts
I just installed the OEM Tulsa, I had the std Tulsa before. The install was fairly easy, however I'm not thrilled with the gap between the dash and windshield. After riding with it for the last 700 miles or so I can say my wife is getting more wind, I have more buffeting, but I like the windshield, I needed more air flow because I have the N-102 Nolan and it is hotter than my SysMax was with the Std Tulsa.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Excellent product. Very stable, good wind control. Rode through 4 hours of rain and it did a fairly good job of helping to stave off the attack from the front.. Adjusts easily as the stock one. Doesn't flap in the breeze like my OEM +4 did.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts