GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not mine, but my buddies........

2001. 135,000 miles. Running fine, fueled up, went about 10 blocks and it acted like it was not getting enough gas, then it just shut off.

No F1 error codes. When you turn the key on, you hear the fuel pump running briefly. Bike will start and run for about 5 seconds, but it does not start as quickly as it always had.

Voltage at the battery is 12.6, turn key on it drops to 11, while cranking it is showing about 10
Ideas?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Did you fuel up at the same time?...Maybe bad gas:shrug:

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Voltages that low indicate a bad alternator. With a weaken battery, it wouldn't take long to shut off. Not too far out of the realm with an '01 and 135K miles. Test the voltages after it starts. Anything under 13.5vdc is a slam dunk for a bad alt.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Voltages that low indicate a bad alternator. With a weaken battery, it wouldn't take long to shut off. Not too far out of the realm with an '01 and 135K miles.
I thought that also, but the alternator is only a few months old (doesn't mean anything, I know) but I put the same type of meter on mine, got very similar readings and mine runs and starts just fine.

I am trying to help him diagnosis over the phone......so keep the ideas coming

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
F1/Ign relay, top row, second from last, count backwards one, two, second one. Switch it with something else, see if it will start.

Also try to determine if there is spark, or not.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,476 Posts
Did he put diesel in it? The voltage while running is going to be the only one he needs to know about as far as the alternator goes. Has he opened the gas tank, maybe he over filled it and it vacuum locked.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
F1/Ign relay, top row, second from last, count backwards one, two, second one. Switch it with something else, see if it will start.

Also try to determine if there is spark, or not.
It starts and runs for about ten seconds or so. Couldn't do that with out spark.......

The station where he gets gas does not sell diesel

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Voltages that low indicate a bad alternator. With a weaken battery, it wouldn't take long to shut off. Not too far out of the realm with an '01 and 135K miles. Test the voltages after it starts. Anything under 13.5vdc is a slam dunk for a bad alt.

voltage after it starts is 13.7

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, tell him to open the gas tank and run it. See how long it idles.
He had to leave the bike to go instruct a gang class at the PD, he is going to try that tonight after his class. I will report back once he lets me know.

I am curious, what are you thinking? I always associate vapor lock with hot temps. It was 46* this morning when this happened, and the high for the day was only 63*

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sonny, the charging system does not kick in until the bike has run about 15 seconds. The bike is still running off of the battery only. It may still be the problem. When the bike is off the battery tends to build itself up some and will start but will quickly run back down due to the headlight (and other lights) being on. You need to substitute another battery first and try it again. Or keep the volt meter on it longer.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,476 Posts
If he filled the tank to the top, the evap system valve opened and sucked liquid gas into the canister and now the tank can't vent thru that same hose. The use of fuel while it's running without a vent has vacuum locked the tank. When he opens it, it will suck air in and then run fine with the cap off. Someone on the board had this occur, but not from over filling the tank, the previous owner had connected the canister drain hose to the vent line and locked it up.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sonny, the charging system does not kick in until the bike has run about 15 seconds. The bike is still running off of the battery only. It may still be the problem. When the bike is off the battery tends to build itself up some and will start but will quickly run back down due to the headlight (and other lights) being on. You need to substitute another battery first and try it again. Or keep the volt meter on it longer.
Remember that I am trying to help him from 25 miles away, via the phone. I dont know for sure how long it is running, but he did say the volt meter jumped to 13.7 after it started, so the alternator had to kick in.......because the battery was only showing 12.6 without the key on.

He did tell me he got a new battery, and is going to install it tonight after his class. But I dont think that is the problem.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If he filled the tank to the top, the evap system valve opened and sucked liquid gas into the canister and now the tank can't vent thru that same hose. The use of fuel while it's running without a vent has vacuum locked the tank. When he opens it, it will suck air in and then run fine with the cap off. Someone on the board had this occur, but not from over filling the tank, the previous owner had connected the canister drain hose to the vent line and locked it up.

Damn! Thats interesting. So, if that is the issue, how do you clear the fuel out of the canister?

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,476 Posts
If the running voltage is at 13.7 then the alternator has already kicked in, because the resting battery voltage is around 12.2-12.6.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,476 Posts
This might be helpful. The liquid gas will eventually drip out of the canister onto the inside of his lower front cowl. If this turns out to be his problem, he can disconnect the hose going to the evap canister at the canister and just let it hang until it evaporates.

·
Registered
7,616 Posts
Mine exhibits that behavior after a wash sometimes. Runs ok until the fast idle slows down below 900 rpm. It just dies. That sounds eerily like what happened. Mine goes away in about 10 minutes if not running or about five if I keep the revs up and ride it. Not fun to have your bike die in a 90° turn at an intersection. It's like cramming on the brake!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts