GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just ordered a new YELLOW 03 from factory, one of the last ones left dealers said. NOW I'm reading on this forum of all the recalls, Honda will surely upgrade/check the bike before shipping it out yes?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Check the VIN # against the recall vins as if yours was produced late in the year it might be outside of the recall numbers. Recall numbers posted here and in the GWRA web.

o3 were non abs 00001 through 04860

03 abs 00001 through 01126

so if your last 5 numbers of your vin is higher than above you are supposedly OK

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I agree

I agree with the Col. I wouldn't touch an 03. You could get a good one and you could not. In my opinion it's not worth the risk. I realize you would be saving some money but in my opinion it's a gamble. So how much do you want to spend on a gamble ? And the jury is still out on whether Honda's fix will work ! Knowing what I know about Honda and there so called fix ? The only way I would buy an 03 is I would have to have it in writing that I would recieve a new bike of the frame cracked. Then see how the dealer feels about that ! The 04's also have some very nice features, a vented windshield and lighted controls. Again this is my opinion, good luck on your choice.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Re: I agree

Mike L said:
I agree with the Col. I wouldn't touch an 03. ...
But, that's not what he said! His comment regarded a "frame-recalled '03".

If the '03 serial number is above the recall range the welds should be just as good as an '04.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Recall

I check around and 400 more I got a 04 wing ,not worth the money saved.Honda has made an awesome bike,the dealers know that and they are just like Harley dealers they want gold for it. I think if you save 1200 or more,and if not in the frame #,but otherwise I would get a 04.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Bob (Bear said:
[quote="Mike L":1ol4vylc]I agree with the Col. I wouldn't touch an 03. ...
But, that's not what he said! His comment regarded a "frame-recalled '03".

If the '03 serial number is above the recall range the welds should be just as good as an '04.
[/quote:1ol4vylc]

If only it were true. According to Honda, they recalled all of the bikes that did not get the TIG weld. According to the welder who inspected mine, it does not have the TIG weld. Honda did not recall it, though. Either way, those of us stuck with 03s are taking it in the shorts. No reason to join us when you have the choice of doing otherwise.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts

JJ Cobb said:
If only it were true. According to Honda, they recalled all of the bikes that did not get the TIG weld. According to the welder who inspected mine, it does not have the TIG weld. Honda did not recall it, though. Either way, those of us stuck with 03s are taking it in the shorts. No reason to join us when you have the choice of doing otherwise.
How can a welder tell whether or not there is a TIG weld underneath a MIG weld covering it?

So, what was the welder asked to determine? Did you ask if the visible weld was TIG or MIG? Or did you ask him if there was a TIG weld under the MIG weld?

According to Honda all of the bikes that did not have the TIG weld below the MIG were recalled. So, if you believe yours wasn't properly welded, and can prove it, see a lawyer.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bob, you're absolutely correct. I'm not a welder and haven't had my bike torn apart to see what's under the powder coat. I was just going by what I was told by a welder. Of course, ALL of us are going by what we have been told by someone, either Honda or a welder or some other source. Considering several bikes outside of the recall range have broken, I'm more than willing to give a second opinion from a disinterested party some merit. But, Honda is the one dealing the cards so for now they are the ones calling the game. I apologize to you and all others on this board for speaking out of turn.

·
Whiny Member
460 Posts
Whoa! There were problems outside the range?

This frame thing is not making me happy. You see unlike many people my bike is my car, I don't own a cage and feel if Honda was recalling the Accord with a repair time of nearly a week they would chip in for a loaner. Not being able to go without transport that long I have been holding out hoping that Honda will figure out something else to satisfy their customers. If there have been problems outside of the range I can only forsee a longer wait time.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Frame Welding

I am waiting unpatiently for a reply from Honda regarding my frame. The welder doing work for my dealer, who has done several others before mine, refused to go any further on mine because he encountered POUROUS castings. I have gotten nowhere talking to Honda's rep about my other problems (audio). So how far do you think I will get talking to them about the frame?
Hopefully those of you who have already had a frame weld done, the work was done by someone who was as diligent in doing a thorough inspection as was my dealers welder. Otherwise, God forbid. you may be riding what you thought was safe while it may not necessarily be true. I know this is a big headache for Honda, but they designed and manufactured this product and it is their responsibility to deliver the goods.

This '03 is the sixth Goldwing I have owned. #1. a '75 made in Japan, #2 an '84 Aspencade, #3 an '89 GL1500, #4 a '97 SE, #5 an Illusion Red '01, and now this '03 Candy Orange. With each new Goldwing since the first (made in Japan) there has been significant deterioration in the quality as the years have gone by.
Maybe it's true, WE CAN'T MAKE A QUALITY PRODUCT IN THE USA.

Come on everyone, let's go after Honda for some answers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts