GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
WOW! Is it me or did that thing adds some serious zip to my bike? It seems that first and second gear have more pop. I know sometimes you can get that " I just washed my car and it seems to run better syndrone" But it seems quicker to me.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
Had the ecm changed before I took deliveryof the Wing, so could not compare on this bike....but did rent an earlier 03 which needed the ecm changed....and I could not "feel" a difference between the two. Must be a different calibration on your "seat feel" gage :D

·
Chard Member
13,075 Posts
Sorry Varider.....I couldn't tell any difference in my '02 at all after the change. Seems to have the same performance and same mpg. Maybe you just got a good one or you had a bad one. LOL...

Enjoy!

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Waal, I did! Noticable change in first and second gear. I don't know why some feel it, others don't. But then, I haven't had anywhere near the problems a lot of folks have reported on this board. So maybe I'm just real fortunate in having gotten a "Wednesday" bike.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I did notice ah gain of about 3 mph on th top end after extensive testin. Also my bike wants ta be ridden MUCH faster after th ecm change! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
73 Posts
Had my ECM changed about a month ago. It idles faster now, about 1100 rpm, and it seems to shift better between 1st and 2nd gear. I wonder if it shifts better because of the higher rpm's, or if the ECM had anything to do with it? Anyway, it still seems to run great. I have only put about 150 miles on it since the work. Just wait'n for warm weather. :eek:w1:

·
Registered
12,417 Posts
I definately noticed more Zip as you put it VA. I also picked up a couple of miles per gallon. I am glad I had the ECM changed!

Bulldog

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
i also follow a different goldwing 1800 board, funny how most folks on that one claim its worse after the ecm change.

mine runs so goodly, i am afraid to have some one mess with it.

i am still holding off.

loren

·
Registered
343 Posts
Loren, get it done. Had mine changed last June. :yes:
Idles a little smoother, and seems to run through the first gears much smoother. Mileage dropped off for a while, so I pulled the battery cable overnight and reconnected the next morning. Started the bike and let idle for about 15 minuets to reset the ECM. Now back up to 40+ highway. Don't think the dealerships give it that 10 minuet idle time when they change it out. :?:
Without doing it, could be some warranty issues pop up down the road if you have a problem :crew:

·
Registered
73 Posts
I had the ECM changed out last week. With 10,000 miles on my '01, I told the service mgr. to change the air filter while the ECM was being done. The dealership charged me .50 hrs. labor to change the air filter. Is this correct (did the mechanic have to do xtra work) or did the dealership screw me?

·
Registered
824 Posts
Blue Knight,
If you've see the bike with the shelter off, you would understand the 1/2 hour labor charge. I'ts reasonable!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
My only concern was that since the ecm was being done, was there xtra work to get to the air filter since they had to take the top shelf off anyway to do the ecm. Thanks for the infor. Other than that, the dealership treated me great, ALOT better than the dealer where I bought my bike.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Blue_Knight said:
My only concern was that since the ecm was being done, was there xtra work to get to the air filter since they had to take the top shelf off anyway to do the ecm. Thanks for the infor. Other than that, the dealership treated me great, ALOT better than the dealer where I bought my bike.
They do still have to remove the cruise control module, bracket and screws and cover to get at the air filter so that sounds about right.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts