GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Love the looks... Hate the bike:frown2: Well hate is too strong of a word. Maybe I will grow to love it... Anyone know how to delete a radio preset?

I went to program in my first preset at 89.7 and somehow managed to store it to Preset #2. I want to set it for preset #1 but I can never right over the 87 something that is somehow preset #1

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
Love the looks... Hate the bike:frown2: Well hate is too strong of a word. Maybe I will grow to love it... Anyone know how to delete a radio preset?

I went to program in my first preset at 89.7 and somehow managed to store it to Preset #2. I want to set it for preset #1 but I can never right over the 87 something that is somehow preset #1

Congrats, Good luck.:smile2:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,576 Posts
Its like with a new cell phone.....you just got to play around with it to figure everything out :)

There is a pretty good learning curve with this bike, but in a few months of riding everything will feel natural. I love my 6-speed Tour...congrats on the new bike

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
All right... I have spent additional time in the owners manual and have logged some more time in the saddle and in parking lots, trying to get smooth
With this thing... making progress and not hating this bike. ITS JUST SO DIFFERENT FROM MY 2012!!!! It’s like going from a flip phone to an IPhone :laugh:

I will learn it and get smooth with it... clutch action is way different and the brakes are about 200% more aggressive

Pluses... better ergos

and much roomier cockpit :grin2:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,576 Posts
All right... I have spent additional time in the owners manual and have logged some more time in the saddle and in parking lots, trying to get smooth
With this thing... making progress and not hating this bike. ITS JUST SO DIFFERENT FROM MY 2012!!!! It’s like going from a flip phone to an IPhone :laugh:

I will learn it and get smooth with it... clutch action is way different and the brakes are about 200% more aggressive

Pluses... better ergos

The clutch is very different feel than the old wings clutch. I stalled my bike a few times when I was first getting used to it...now I ride the bike and wonder how I ever stalled it. I really like the clutch feel with this bike now.

The hardest thing for me with the 2018 was getting used to the controls...it took me nearly 3 months to be able to hit the horn button without looking at it..had a hard time learning to hit the turn signal button without looking too...I also had to teach myself to look at the speedometer on the left side, I kept looking at the tach on the right side.....but now everything feels natural with this bike.

·
Love The DCT
12,023 Posts

Pluses... better ergos

The new wings do have an awesome set of brakes.

:doorag:

·
Registered
316 Posts
My only complaint on the manual wing is that the clutch pull is stiff. It's like my FJR where I hate getting stuck in ~10-20mph traffic with it. The 2016+ FJRs have engine-assisted clutches, so that means in about 5 years Honda will have that also (i kid I kid)

Otherwise the abundance of low-end torque makes putting along in traffic, manageable.

·
Registered
8,749 Posts
My only complaint on the manual wing is that the clutch pull is stiff. It's like my FJR where I hate getting stuck in ~10-20mph traffic with it. The 2016+ FJRs have engine-assisted clutches, so that means in about 5 years Honda will have that also (i kid I kid)

Otherwise the abundance of low-end torque makes putting along in traffic, manageable.

One word. DCT..:grin2:

·
Registered
226 Posts
My only complaint on the manual wing is that the clutch pull is stiff.
I found the clutch pull to be the opposite. I previously rode a 2000 Valkyrie Tourer for 18 years. Loved the bike and didn't want anything else until the new Wing. I thought the clutch pull on the Valkyrie was pretty easy compared to my brother's Fat Boy. First pull of the clutch on the new Wing and I couldn't believe how easy it was compared to the Valkyrie. It felt effortless by comparison. So I guess it's subjective and depends on your previous ride(s). :wink2:

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
7,576 Posts

Honda says with the 2018, the clutch pull is 20% less than the old Gold Wing. I think the clutch pull is very light with my bike.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Honda says with the 2018, the clutch pull is 20% less than the old Gold Wing. I think the clutch pull is very light with my bike.
Hmm, I'd say it is on par with my 2013 FJR and a big PIA when you're 30min in stop and go traffic.

·
Premium Member
1,627 Posts
Cabinet Bumper

The clutch is very different feel than the old wings clutch. I stalled my bike a few times when I was first getting used to it...now I ride the bike and wonder how I ever stalled it. I really like the clutch feel with this bike now.

The hardest thing for me with the 2018 was getting used to the controls...it took me nearly 3 months to be able to hit the horn button without looking at it..had a hard time learning to hit the turn signal button without looking too...I also had to teach myself to look at the speedometer on the left side, I kept looking at the tach on the right side.....but now everything feels natural with this bike.
@Roadie Just FYI I too had bad finger memory on the "Horn Button" and glued a small cabinet bumper onto the "Horn Button" and can always know where it's located no matter the lighting condition. I always have my finger on the "Horn Button" especially in metro traffic in my neck of the woods-concreate & steel and cagers out the zing-yang! Sure is nice and LOUD HORN!!!! Love it thanks Moma Honda.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts