GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night on my way home, I heard a pop come from the front engine area, and then it just lost spark. All the electrical is working, and the motor turns over, but will not start up.

Anyone have a starting point for me to look at?

Thanks,

·
Registered
70 Posts
It sounds scarey to me. Suddenly makes me happy the only problem I have is that RED FI light on. :eek:

You should be able to pop off the valve cover and see if the cam's are turning. that will tell you if the timing chain is broken or not.

On that note does anyone know if this is an interference engine or non-interference engine?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Techdude will find it for sure, but I'm thinking the camshaft position sensor might have failed....

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had a similar thing happen to me,
I just got back from a ride and rode over to the store, coming out I shifted into 3rd and just like yours, POP and it quit, it turned over, had spark, everything was working, but it wouldn't run.
I took it to my mechanic and he couldn't figure it out, He said the bike was showing a fuel injector code, but he said it should run, took it to the dealer,
they had it for 3 days and couldn't figure it out.
They called in a factory tech and he worked on it for 5 hrs and finally threw up his arms and said the bike says it is an injector so put in an injector, fired right up and haven't had any problems since

·
Registered
335 Posts
How many miles were on your bikes when this happened. :eek:4:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
Dealer's mechanic should have known that an injector failure code will keep the ECM from running the engine. It can't be reset until the injector is replaced. Racer, put down your sidestand in neutral and crank the engine for 10 seconds and see if the ECM will flash the FI light. It might flash a code made up of long and short flashes. Count them and we'll see what it "thinks" is bad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, just did the kickstand down and cranked it for over 10 secs, twice and I don't get any FI codes. I was getting an intermitten FI light over the last couple of weeks but it usally would go away if I shut it off and restarted the bike. I thought it was due to washing it. I don't think it's a timing belt issue, because it cranks like normal.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Well let me think about this one....

I would for sure verify the timing system is ok. The starter will turn the motor no matter what, but if a chain is popped, or slipped, you can bend valves real easy cranking the engine.

Most likely not that, but for sure would be wise to make sure.

A pop......hum.

Can you verify you do not have spark?? Pull a plug wire or two and see if there is spark.
Is a plug blown out and lying against the engine?
A coil could have blown,
The Crank sensor could have went.

Have to verify there is no spark and correct that first. If there is spark on to to other things.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
OK, do you get the usual lights on the dash when you turn on the key, can you hear the fuel pump run for a second and quit? Have you checked the fuses?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
All the lights and dash bells work as normal. Radio is working. I don't however hear the fuel pump kicking in, I guess I will need to check the fuses and go from there. Guys thanks for the quick feedback, I will keep you posted on what I find, but it will be tomorrow, because the game is just about to start and I don't miss much Football...!:thumbup:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is my 1st Goldwing, so I have been reading the post all day on here trying to figure this out. I have never had the seat off or had to find the fuses, so it's going to be a nice new learning project for me..! Techdude I saw your post on a lot of threads, and you certainly know your stuff, so thank you for helping out on this one.:bow:

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
Thanks, tomorrow, turn on the cruise system and then the key. If your orange cruise light comes on, then your bank angle sensor is ok and the ECM is getting power.

·
GL1800 Doctor
20,366 Posts
One other thing to check before the fuses, turn on the key, do you see the FI light come on and go off after a couple of seconds? Check fuse #17 and #19, sorry I had the wrong number in my head. See you at half time.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts