GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk about a beautiful bike! I just don't understand why Yamaha can come out with these cool innovations each year and Honda drags their feet. I love my Goldwing, but that electric windshield, automatic clutch/transmission and standard ABS is pretty appealing. You can bet that the suspension is better on the Yamaha as well. I guess I am just disappointed that there were no new features on the '07's

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Hmmm, the FJR has a needless electric clutch and the new Wing has a life saving air bag.

Tsk, tsk Honda can't you do better? :?

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
It all depends on how you look at it. :shock: :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Drive one for a week and I suspect you'll find that there is no comparison between the Yamaha and a Wing. I had a ST1300 and loved it but the ride is different than a Wing by a LOT. And the 1300 is more comfortable than the FJR. Sport bikes are NOT touring bikes. While they are nice, they aren't Wings. If long range touring is your thing (and comfort) forget the sport touring bikes. They just don't get the job done for long road work.
Kevin

·
Vendor
22,244 Posts
Remember the Yamaha GTS back in the mid 90's? It had center hub steering, ABS, fuel injection and several other innovations no one had done. They (Yamaha) have a reputation of pushing the envelope a bit.

I have an 06 FJR (not the electric shift version) and it is a really nice bike and I find myself leaving the Wing parked more and more and taking the FJR. But if the wife wants to ride, we take the Wing, as the FJR isn't even in the same league as the Wing for passenger accommodations.

I am going to be working on an 06 Electric Shift FJR tomorrow for a friend, and so I will get to take a closer look at how it is put together and I might even take it out for a ride to see how it feels. I think the concept is interesting, but in reality, I am not sure what you gain from it. I am too used to having a clutch to try to learn how to shift all over again.

I will say this, owning both an FJR and a Wing, I really don't think the FJR is all that much faster. It has more HP up higher in the revs, and has more power on the top end, but the Wing has more low end grunt that is more usable in everyday riding. The FJR will take the Wing in a roll on contest, but the Wing will put up a good fight despite it's weight penalty. That big six is a pretty awesome engine in the GL1800.

I like both bikes for different reasons. The FJR makes me feel reconnected to my motorcycling roots, where the Wing sometimes makes me feel a bit disconnected from the road and elements. I enjoy the lighter and nimbler feeling. The Wing is great for traveling long distance in comfort and is rock solid reliable and great if you are bringing a passenger and the luggage is easier to get in and out of.

But back to the topic of this thread, Honda is a bit behind on technology and really could do a lot more to bring the Wing up to date. Like installing a factory Satelight Radio, or Ipod interface, or electric windshield. It seems like Honda is always a bit behind on electronic integration and slow to catch up in that area.

·
Registered
325 Posts
but the ride is different than a Wing by a LOT.
I had a 2003 ST 1300. Tons of fun to ride, but after a few miles the riding position would begin to wear on me. I put risers, new seat the whole 9 yards, but it still wasn't what I wanted. No stereo either. I've had my WING for two months. I've got right at 2500 miles and havent added pegs, seat, or riser yet. That may change, but for now I am comfortable, and SATISFIED.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One of the fellows I ride with a lot has an FJR. He can leave me on my wing and the ST1300 any time he desires. He just picked up an 06 with ABS that he is really enjoying.

I give him a bad time about his need for speed but if I was only riding one up it would be my bike of choice.

To top it off he beats my 73 CL350 with his 85 RZ350 until I suggest some gravel roads.

·
Registered
847 Posts
As much as you praise Yamaha, they are also very slow on the uptake. Prime example is the RS Venture, still has carbs and a cassette player.

·
Registered
430 Posts
FJR vs. Wing

I agree with Fred, since I have both an 03 FJR and an 06 GL1800.

Now the fella that said sport touring machines don't get the job done? Well, how does one explain the Connie, ST1100/1300, BMW RT and the King (IMHO) FJR1300?

The Wing is indeed a very nice Touring bike, as are the models I mentioned above.

The BMW has long been bike of choice for LDRs, especially Iron Butt Rally riders, but the FJR is quickly gaining acceptance and in all the IBRs that the FJR has ran in, not one DNR due to mechanical problems. Check out the standings of all models at the Iron Butt Association website.

I like both machines for long distance touring. Each has its own charms. For multi-week, trailer dragging flower sniff'n rides, my Wing wins hands down.

Both handle very well, both are very powerful (sorry Fred, but my FJR is much more so) and both are comfortable for the long haul, but the Wing is definitely the King for two up riding - just ask my wife about that :lol:

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
BigBird05 said:
Talk about a beautiful bike! I just don't understand why Yamaha can come out with these cool innovations each year and Honda drags their feet. I love my Goldwing, but that electric windshield, automatic clutch/transmission and standard ABS is pretty appealing. You can bet that the suspension is better on the Yamaha as well. I guess I am just disappointed that there were no new features on the '07's
It's not an automatic, it's push button. I can shift my clutch bike without using the clutch up or down, though I don't I wouldn't do it from neutral to first or second to first, and I choose to used the clutch (just don't have to), shifting is like butter.

Wife didn't like the GW as a passenger, don't know if she'll like the feejer as a passenger even though now I have a backrest. That no longer matters to me, I like the feejer much better and will not sell it anytime soon, in fact, I will be selling the hoss since I found a bike I like to ride as much as that one.

So, to each his own, one has to just get what speaks to him and buy it. I too don't know why the GW doesn't have an electric wind screen.

Mike

·
Registered
385 Posts
Forget the push button shifter. I'd like a Wing or FJR with the type of tranny my Burgman 650 has. It is an ECCVT . . . a continuously variable tranny that is controlled by a computer (one step past the Silverwing). I have a normal mode that optimizes for economy, a Power button that optimizes for power, and a manual button that lets me shift up or down with a push button. This is mated to a gear driven final drive. This thing is the most fun I've ever had on two wheels. Power delivery is so linear and smooth it's incredible. It cruises effortlessly at 75-80 and will run about 110. I got 57 mpg on a 300 mile run to Niehaus at 75 mph on the interstate. It is also surprisingly quick.
You will be seeing more ECCVT trannies on bikes in the future, IMHO.
I can only imagine what the big flat six would be like with this type of tranny. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Don't forget when the FJR first came out - it was the greatest thing until it was test driven. They complained about not having enough clearance for cornering(picture showed sparks flying) needed more power ect - I think the Hayabusa got a better rating than the FJR at that time.

Patrick

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yup! Yamaha has made drastic changes in 3 yrs. The most were just between the 05 and 06 models. Kudos to Yamaha for actually listening to the owners of their machines. They meticulously addressed over 40 changes just in one year to make the new FJRs a great improvement.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
BigBird05 said:
Sometimes I get a real kick out of the stuff I read here. :lol: :shock: :lol: :shock:

Innovative? Yeah, that Venture is a real high tech beauty isn't it? It comes complete with a warmed over, carburated underpowered engine stolen from the VMax and a dashboard from a 63 Ford Galaxy 500.

FJR high tech? Innovations year after year? The FJR chassis came out in 01 just like the Wing. In 01 it didn't even come with ABS, but the Wing did. It remained unchanged until 04 when they finally added ABS and made some changes to address the tons of complaints about unbearable heat on the rider.

I would love to have an FJR (as a second bike), and I really wish Honda would wake up and do the Electric Windshield, but the FJR is no match for the Goldwing as a touring bike. BTW, does the FJR have a stereo, intercom, CB integration, etc.........?

Just like Honda, Yamaha is not short on critics, screwups, and slowness in responding to customer complaints.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
There is now way you can compare the two bikes here. Thats like comparing a BMW M5 against a Cadillac CTS. Different leauges.

The FJR is a very, very nice bike. You really need to see the bike in person to see its real beauty and fine details. That is the only place where you can compare the two, in the details. The FJR blows the details away. Thats what I dont understand.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Bluewoo said:
Don't forget when the FJR first came out - it was the greatest thing until it was test driven. They complained about not having enough clearance for cornering(picture showed sparks flying) needed more power ect - I think the Hayabusa got a better rating than the FJR at that time.

Patrick
I think you have made an excellent point. All motorcycles are compromises. Great sport bikes don't make great touring bikes, and vice-versa. We find the compromise that works best for us. I've ridden Hayabusa's and own a FJR. The FJR has plenty of ground clearance for me, and I can ride it all day. Bikes like the Hayabusa MIGHT corner better (some more than others), but I could not ride one all day.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
LarryM said:
The FJR chassis came out in 01 just like the Wing. In 01 it didn't even come with ABS, but the Wing did. It remained unchanged until 04 when they finally added ABS and made some changes to address the tons of complaints about unbearable heat on the rider.
Also didn't come with bad frame welds.

Mike

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
goliath said:
I'd like a Wing or FJR with the type of tranny my Burgman 650 has. It is an ECCVT . . . a continuously variable tranny that is controlled by a computer (one step past the Silverwing).
I wonder about a bike as heavy as the wing with a CVT. Except for shifting from neutral to first, you don't need a clutch to shift the clutch model.

Mike

·
Registered
385 Posts
Yeah Mike, but you don't have to shift at all with the ECCVT. Just twist and go. No shifting at all, just turbine-like linear accelleration. It is always in the appropriate drive ratio. What a blast. With the power of the Wing it would be a hoot!

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
goliath said:
Yeah Mike, but you don't have to shift at all with the ECCVT. Just twist and go. No shifting at all, just turbine-like linear accelleration. It is always in the appropriate drive ratio. What a blast. With the power of the Wing it would be a hoot!
It would be good if they eventually offer it as an option and not put it in all the bikes. I like to shift on a bike. My hoss is automatic, it is a blast to ride but I miss shifting.

Mike

1 - 20 of 25 Posts